Not a fan of the Loot Distribution B41

ZombieHunter

The old loot system while - Random - at least it allowed me to get items i wanted early game.

The new loot system where loot is better tied to location - makes getting certain items almost non existent - so I opened up the loot distribution to find out why.

For some reason houses have a very low ( to none ) chance  of getting knives while restaurants have a higher chance. 

Almost all loot is removed from regular zombies  ( unless there is a 2nd loot table I am not aware of  - which is highly possible ) 

It feels like the current loot table forces players to forge trees  early on to make wooden and stone tools. 

Where the old system let you raid houses for weapons and starting gear.

I went to around 32 houses in lower right side of map and didn't get a single knife. 

So i spent quite a few hours using a frying pan and rolling pin instead. 

2 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

The old loot system while - Random - at least it allowed me to get items i wanted early game.

The new loot system where loot is better tied to location - makes getting certain items almost non existent - so I opened up the loot distribution to find out why.

For some reason houses have a very low ( to none ) chance  of getting knives while restaurants have a higher chance. 

Almost all loot is removed from regular zombies  ( unless there is a 2nd loot table I am not aware of  - which is highly possible ) 

It feels like the current loot table forces players to forge trees  early on to make wooden and stone tools. 

Where the old system let you raid houses for weapons and starting gear.

I went to around 32 houses in lower right side of map and didn't get a single knife. 

So i spent quite a few hours using a frying pan and rolling pin instead. 

32 houses and all you found for weapons were a frying pan and a rolling pin? No baseball bats, golfclubs, or anything else like that?

9 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

Well I did notice that guns and ammo no longer spawn on civilian zombies (3000+ kills and nothing also trait lucky), but I'm not sure for the rest of the loot table. Lots of civilian zombies had crowbars, pipes, axes and a single machete and they all came from default zombies also vitamins, andtidepressants and beta blockers spawn on zombies. So what's exacly missing? Oh btw this is B41.61 and above.

On 12/18/2021 at 2:28 AM, ZombieHunter said:

So that is why we couldn't find anything from them. I've played build 41 for 700 hours already and drop from regular zeds was my main source of ammo (i try to loot every zombie i kill). This one change is a killjoy for me. Everything else about loot i'm fine with, aside from sledges, we couldn't find any since the release of multiplayer.

11 hours ago, Nyrion said:

So that is why we couldn't find anything from them. I've played build 41 for 700 hours already and drop from regular zeds was my main source of ammo (i try to loot every zombie i kill). This one change is a killjoy for me. Everything else about loot i'm fine with, aside from sledges, we couldn't find any since the release of multiplayer.

Same here, I used to get lots of ammo from zombies because I killed lots and had trait lucky, but now there's nothing in over 5k kills and for slegehammer, you can find those in car srories where a group of construction worker zombies was trying to fix a manhole, I've found two that way.

Interesting.   One thing Ive found is that the central farmland warehouses now contain huge amounts of food in sacks.     If you set up there quickly enough you could freeze it.     At least I assume the sacks can be opened.

I did find .556 ammo and mags in soldier's  lockers.     Never found that before.

11 hours ago, Nyrion said:

cant find sledgehammers anywhere either and a group of 6 of us have been playing multiplayer pretty often the last two weeks. even went through most warehouses that usually supplied them and even searched multiple hardware stores and cant find them.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, BoogieMan said:

32 houses and all you found for weapons were a frying pan and a rolling pin? No baseball bats, golfclubs, or anything else like that?

Nothing, only frying pans and rolling pins. I only found 4 bandages also. 0 Alcohol.0 Knives.  

A heck of a lot of books. A ton of Jar Food. 1 Can Opener.

6 Planks

No Axe

1 hammer

3 Nails.

The loot system is pretty bad.

I play a lot of PZ with loot on rare and have yet to experience anything like you describe. 32 houses and thats all you found? Cmon. Unless you playing in a modded area that hasn't been updated properly to the new loot tables, and then the problem is the mod not the game.

I will admit, with default settings, even civilian items like baseball bats, golf clubs, and so on are pretty uncommon - surprisingly so, at times.

Still, civilian houses have knives, I've found tools in them before, garages and sheds especially. Granted, proper bandages don't spawn as often, and guns are now a lot less common, but again, I've found "Gun Cases" in wardrobes with everything from pistols to rifles in them, so it isn't as bad as claimed.

I'm still exploring various areas in the game, so I don't have a full understanding of every location and spawn points, but as it is, it seems to be relatively fine. Scarce, admittedly, but with the default setting for everything being RARE, I don't really expect the level of loot Build 39 - 40 used to have. I.E.: a single kitchen cabinet carrying 3 pistols, 2 shotguns, and 9 boxes of shells.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:40 PM, Axiomatic said:

I play a lot of PZ with loot on rare and have yet to experience anything like you describe. 32 houses and thats all you found? Cmon. Unless you playing in a modded area that hasn't been updated properly to the new loot tables, and then the problem is the mod not the game.

Well I found clothing, hundreds and hundreds of clothing.

Also as I said I did look up the officall loot tables by going through game files.

The 3 most common things I found in every  house were 

Jars

Clothes

Books 

Everything else was extremely rare. 

It isn't really satisfying if you end up going to all these buildings to find nothing really useful short term survival.

State of Decay 2 probably as the best loot system hands down - because you always feel you get something meaningful in a reasonable amount of time.

I am pretty new player to the game.

The loot on zombies is very boring. Sometimes a weapon or tool wich you can see before but nothing worthfull or interesting to check corpses over and over again.

It feels like you cant prepare with your actual gamestage loot for the next stage. You have to get to this better POI with nearly bare hands. While the focus in PZ is in the early game it feels like i never have a fun and usefull weapon. Sometimes you get a crowbar, sometimes not, thats all.

I dont care about knifes anymore because they break after 10 hits. I takes more time to equip and drop and micromanagment weaponchange them than actually use them in fights. Maybe i do it wrong.

Spamcraft any stone weapons didnt work out for me too. I found 1 stone after days.

As a new unexperienced player i can not oversee the whole balance or meta. I just wonder why weapons break so extremly unrealistic fast. Where are all the early game weapons? Where is my bow and arrows? I like this game to be such difficult but some gameplayoptions and diversity would be nice.

11 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

Well I found clothing, hundreds and hundreds of clothing.

Also as I said I did look up the officall loot tables by going through game files.

The 3 most common things I found in every  house were 

Jars

Clothes

Books 

Everything else was extremely rare. 

It isn't really satisfying if you end up going to all these buildings to find nothing really useful short term survival.

State of Decay 2 probably as the best loot system hands down - because you always feel you get something meaningful in a reasonable amount of time.

As said, you're either searching small houses in the city outskirts or are just plain unlucky. Weapons do spawn in residential buildings. In fact, I've seen more guns in them than baseball bats - usually in gun cases. Likewise, tools are pretty abundant, and hammers are a fantastic short blunt weapon. That's kind of the crux of it, too. You aren't finding WEAPONS but you should, and I'd argue - do, find a lot of makeshift weapons. Hell, metal pipes are downright over-abundant and are pretty great, even if a bit heavy.

The game wouldn't be fun if you found everything you needed without having to leave your starting neighborhood.

4 hours ago, playlessNamer said:

I am pretty new player to the game.

The loot on zombies is very boring. Sometimes a weapon or tool wich you can see before but nothing worthfull or interesting to check corpses over and over again.

It feels like you cant prepare with your actual gamestage loot for the next stage. You have to get to this better POI with nearly bare hands. While the focus in PZ is in the early game it feels like i never have a fun and usefull weapon. Sometimes you get a crowbar, sometimes not, thats all.

I dont care about knifes anymore because they break after 10 hits. I takes more time to equip and drop and micromanagment weaponchange them than actually use them in fights. Maybe i do it wrong.

Spamcraft any stone weapons didnt work out for me too. I found 1 stone after days.

As a new unexperienced player i can not oversee the whole balance or meta. I just wonder why weapons break so extremly unrealistic fast. Where are all the early game weapons? Where is my bow and arrows? I like this game to be such difficult but some gameplayoptions and diversity would be nice.

As said above, there's a lot that you can find that, at first glance, may not look like a weapon but can be used as one. Metal pipes, boards, hockey sticks, pool cues, hammers, etc. Residential houses seem to have metal pipes more often than not, and they make for a great stopgap before getting your hands on a crowbar or axe, let alone anything better. Same goes for hammers, which are surprisingly effective and durable.

I'll admit, some weapons, like spears, seem so fragile that it feels like a downright waste to strap anything to them, but other weapons like police batons, pipes, hammers, and even some sports gear typically have pretty good durability for how effective they also are.

—And this is also all assuming you're at level 0 Maintenance, too. As you level that up, weapons become even more durable.

Only thing I don't like about crowbars, and may two handers is how quick they can tire you out compared to other options. I've become a fan of short blunt in more recent builds. Many are unrepareable, but they're quite common, and don't drain too much stamina. Start with a construction worker with the handy trait, and you're already at 4 points, and I assume the exp gain you get from higher level starting skills also applies to weapon skills (not 100% sure on that.)

But more to the topic at hand, the loot tables could probably use some work. I imagine they'll make little changes during each new update. I imagine it is a hard thing to balance from the get go, and with the way its handled RNGwise, it does leave a lot to chance.

On 12/25/2021 at 1:37 AM, Fuzzy Wolfy said:

As said, you're either searching small houses in the city outskirts or are just plain unlucky. Weapons do spawn in residential buildings. In fact, I've seen more guns in them than baseball bats - usually in gun cases. Likewise, tools are pretty abundant, and hammers are a fantastic short blunt weapon. That's kind of the crux of it, too. You aren't finding WEAPONS but you should, and I'd argue - do, find a lot of makeshift weapons.

Actually my main issue was specifically knives.

You know the thing that Almost every house in the world has multiple of? 

Before the update Knives were pretty common - after the update Knives have been removed almost completely - 

Most likely as a design choice so people used stone and wooden spears 

But such balance could easily be fixed

Give knife Spears high Lethality but little knockback and medium durability

While wooden Spear has high knockback but medium lethality and High durability - when tempered with fire. 

Then make a level 2 Bladed spear - that seperates the blade and adds it to the spear but requires leveling up bladed meele to craft.

I should laso point out guns are pretty useless in this game without mods as guns tend to spawn hundreds of zombies.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents: sledge hammers and bats are rare (never seen either in 80 hours on 41).  Cars are unrealistically rare and beat up given what you'd expect in the real world (but well balanced gameplay-wise).  Knives should appear more in households from a rational perspective, but perhaps for balance reasons they're made rarer.

Generator magazines can make or break my runs, as can gas cans.  Generators are also super rare, but I always seem to find one or two somewhere.

Because of the meta, I often feel pressured to have an electrician and a burglar/mechanic when I play in groups.  Functioning generators and vehicle hotwiring are super useful, and you can easily spend a month, if your luck is poor, searching for a magazine.  My solution would be more interesting and effective ways to level mechanics and electric (with level 4 or 5 electric opening generator functionality - magazines and the profession should not be the only ways to access essential mechanics imo) but it's not game-breaking for me by any means.  What a fun game Zomboid is!

Archived