PvP Stun-Lock is an issue

Bambino

So far, while testing PvP, we have noticed a major issue where players are basically stun-locked after the first shot. You don't get a chance to run or take cover, you are basically a sitting duck after that first shot hits you. You can, however, counter the player with your own gun. IF you have the range to counter them. 

Perhaps reduce the delay between getting shot & getting to move quite a bit or add a setting related to this as a server option.
Will do more testing so I have more input over the weekend.

Edited by Bambino
More Info

• 6 months later...

This is not a PVP game and will be not balanced for that. If u have problem with weapons u can mod them to do less dmg or dont use them at all. If u will survive a close shot from aimed shotgun then meaby then devs will consider ur "polite" request to make game more realistic. 

31 minutes ago, duh7 said:

This is not a PVP game and will be not balanced for that. If u have problem with weapons u can mod them to do less dmg or dont use them at all. If u will survive a close shot from aimed shotgun then meaby then devs will consider ur "polite" request to make game more realistic. 

Yeah, no. PZ isn't PVE only or PVP only. People spreading it as one or the other are mistaken.

We're aware the current PVP combat is problematic and will be addressing it in the future. It was basically a proof of concept from December and we didn't have any time to clean it up prior to releasing MP. 

So u chenging it from Solo game with multiplayer to Multiplayer game that can be played solo?
I like the idea that guns do lots of dmg and u have clothes to deffend ur body from them. But still if u get a shot in head is more realistic that to get a 15 shots and still standing and easly that can be balaced with RPG options that u plan to give on cloths to be more bullet proof.

I think it is quite realistic to get stun-locked by a shot or stab if you aren't accustomed to this. Maybe there should be a trait like "battle hardened" that prevents you from losing your shit after getting wounded by another human. Yes I am aware that it would mean that this trait is a must on pvp servers... and it should be expensive like 8pt or so.

21 hours ago, duh7 said:

So u chenging it from Solo game with multiplayer to Multiplayer game that can be played solo?
I like the idea that guns do lots of dmg and u have clothes to deffend ur body from them. But still if u get a shot in head is more realistic that to get a 15 shots and still standing and easly that can be balaced with RPG options that u plan to give on cloths to be more bullet proof.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions.

We are talking about point & click aim based on character skills, stats and RNG. Despite the 'realism' in PZ, there are many gamey mechanics. If you were invested in PvP & tested it extensively, you'd understand that combat is problematic. Your ideology may work for RP servers, but there is a reason why this audience has avoided the game, left critical comments or reviews due to the state of PvP. Personally, I have almost 5k hours and have almost solely played PvP MP aside from the few hours played in SP. We are definitely part of this audience & fanbase whether many players realize it or not.

45 minutes ago, getstoopid said:

I think it is quite realistic to get stun-locked by a shot or stab if you aren't accustomed to this. Maybe there should be a trait like "battle hardened" that prevents you from losing your shit after getting wounded by another human. Yes I am aware that it would mean that this trait is a must on pvp servers... and it should be expensive like 8pt or so.

Forcing players to choose a trait would be extremely awkward. This game isn't all about realism as many players tend to think. The combat system just needs to be worked on with PvP in mind - clearly it isn't as Enigma stated above. It may work for RP servers, but it drives PvP oriented player away.

Well this game is about the experience of a zombie apocalypse in "mostly realistic" circumstances and death by getting killed without standing a chance is clearly one of these. I'd like to think that this is the core principle - you make a mistake, you have bad luck, you die... simple as that!

If you wanna go for the full apocalypse experience where "griefing" would definitely be the main problem (like in "The walking dead"), dying by the hand of another in an unfair fight is inevitable, not?

56 minutes ago, getstoopid said:

Well this game is about the experience of a zombie apocalypse in "mostly realistic" circumstances and death by getting killed without standing a chance is clearly one of these. I'd like to think that this is the core principle - you make a mistake, you have bad luck, you die... simple as that!

If you wanna go for the full apocalypse experience where "griefing" would definitely be the main problem (like in "The walking dead"), dying by the hand of another in an unfair fight is inevitable, not?

If PvP is improved, it will not impact your RP experience. I play on a server with hardcore zombies settings yet they are a none-issue for vets. In this case, the zeds don't stand a chance. However, players are the primary challenge. You seem to be implying that dying to another player is basically greifing? I've met players in several games that consider it just that, but in that case they should clearly stray away from PvP.

It's all about the challenge that PvP brings to the table. Faction warfare, knowing you will always have to look over your shoulder for a stalker ready to snag your loot. Some of these players basically see PZ along the lines of Stardew Valley without PvP. Yes, you will get unfair fights. 3v1, 5v1, etc., but that's not the issue. That's actually what many players want. For example, there are players that refuse to team with other players so they have more people to kill. They strive for those situations where they can kill 3 people in the same situation then swoop in for the prize loot.

Edited by Bambino

On 7/3/2022 at 9:57 PM, Bambino said:

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions.

We are talking about point & click aim based on character skills, stats and RNG. Despite the 'realism' in PZ, there are many gamey mechanics. If you were invested in PvP & tested it extensively, you'd understand that combat is problematic. Your ideology may work for RP servers, but there is a reason why this audience has avoided the game, left critical comments or reviews due to the state of PvP. Personally, I have almost 5k hours and have almost solely played PvP MP aside from the few hours played in SP. We are definitely part of this audience & fanbase whether many players realize it or not.

Yep im an rpg player and like that type of game. I have only 500h. Still There is a problem that game balancing itself. Players offten take best gear stocking it in pyles and after every death they restart take gear and go fighting. I dont mind pvp until it reasonable story behind it something more than "im a morderhobo and kill u for fun." 

• 9 months later...