Issues with VOIP/mic detection

sonjah

Hey,

Basically, I can't use a microphone in Project Zomboid. I chose the right device, VOIP is activated, and yet I never have a signal in the "Signal from microphone" bar.

I tested with the Macbook's built-in microphone, a headset, and my airpods, no signal. However, everything works on Discord and in Steam's micro tests, and in other games. I also tried to change the frequency (I'm on 44,1 kHz, 24bits) on my headphones, nothing new. I have tried uninstalling the game, disabling and uninstalling the mods, deleting the "mods" folder, nothing helps. I play on a 2016 Macbook Pro which is running the game pretty well, so I don't think it's about performance either.

I've only been playing multiplayer since the recent beta, but I don't think the problem is new, as I'm pretty sure I've never seen a signal even before that.

I don't know if this is an inherent bug in the game, but I have run out of my solution bag ... Can someone help me? thanks in advance

28 minutes ago, sonjah said:
Thank you for your answer. I tried to change the frequency of my mic, to 44.1, 48.0, and 96.0, 16bit, 24bit, 32bit but nothing helps. 

Looks like this problem is from mac version, others have same problem here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/5845107457319523757/

In my case (a 2018 iMac), the microphone isn't even selectable to test. So, can't confirm or deny this. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, looks like there is a temporary solution (thx @JohnGalt on Steam) :

"Okay I figured out a temporary solution to get microphone working for OSX. When you are on your Steam Library page, right click project zomboid, goto manage, and then click on browse game files. Finder will open and you will see a file called Project Zomboid.app. What you need to do is right click the file and select show package contents. Then double click the folder Contents, and then the folder MacOS. Then just double click the program JavaAppLauncher and it will load Project Zomboid through terminal. Then you should get prompted to allow microphone permission for Terminal. Now your mic will work in the game as long as you run it this way. If you try to run the game through steam, it will not work as the microphone permission is only for terminal.

The advantage of this method is you get to use VOIP. The disadvantage, no steam overlay as you are not running the game through steam.

Hope this works for you guys!

Also for the developers: The reason why VOIP is not working on Mac is because the game is not asking for permission to use the microphone, which is required for all applications on mac. When I ran the game through the terminal, terminal asked for permission and it worked through that method. So if there is a way to get the game to ask for permission it should fix the problem I hope."

@EnigmaGrey: would it be possible to report this to the developers? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, there was some work done on fixing the microphone issues on Mac computers.
Could you try switching the game to the "unstable" beta version and test whether the microphone issues are fixed there?
You can do that by going to your Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Betas > Select the UNSTABLE beta version from the drop down menu.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...