What is the most valuable animal in a zombie apocalypse?

Brandon354

bunnies were a good suggestion, but Guinea Pigs would really be a great one- there common food in many countries, breed faster than rabbits, eat less, and are fatter than mice. (ive heard tasty, but yeah). Noise wise- a hutch/ small farm isnt very noisy, but if survival mattered, rodents (and domestic birds) have been fine being "altered" to be more quiet (like de-barking dogs, screwed up, but it is an end of the world type situation). Guard animals (dogs, geese, etc) would make too much noise alerting you, unless you really trained them well, and they eat a lot. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a cormorant?

I know they are obscure, and catching one would be very difficult. However, they are small, and easy to look after, and tie a bit of string round its neck and let it go fishing, and it will feed you and itself more than enough.

You could easily carry it around with you in a small box, and it wouldn't slow you down or make too much noise. It obviously is going to be no use to you at all if anything attacks you, but then this would be providing you with as much as you wanted.

Plus I would imagine in this kind of situation, staying close to the water would be a good rule of thumb anyway, even if it were just to remove the risk of being attacked from one side.

My choice is the cat.

The devs said there will be live rats or mice in future builds and they can destroy your food supplies pershible or not. Cats can take care of these little fuckers and they don't really need as much attention as dogs.

In the old Egypt they even were holy because the cats saved them from starving by killing all the rats in their silos.

+1 for cats

PS They can also be a life saver when you are totally wrecked So

+1 for lovelyness

Rabbits! they make almost no sound, dont need alot of attention just a cage and are a good supply of meat cause they breed and grow fast.

Rabbits have one of the loudest, most god-awful wails I've ever heard in an animal so small. When they feel threatened, the last thing I would call them is quiet.

This begs the question, do zombies attempt to chase birds?

I've now got stuck in my head the image of a zombie covered in bird crap because it keeps standing under bird nests trying and failing to reach for the chirping baby birds.

They can try. This raises the question, can birds be zombified? That's a scary thought.

the birds would do the majority of the infecting in that case, just out of nowhere  *peck* your life will soon be over, but I do know that in the lore they are following we won't be seeing this so I suppose we actually have a shot at not dying within the first hour.

It depends a lot whether zombies are interested in eating animals, if that is the case the only really useful animals are the ones you can control to a great extend, like dogs, or the ones who are silent AND/OR able to operate almost independent from you like cats. anything else would just advertise their, and consequently your position to the zombies.

If the zombies aren't interested in animals, I'd take the hint from historyy and go with goats.

For the wabbit-mongers this might be interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

A brahmin camel.

They can carry heavy loads to nearly half a ton and... well their bellows would blend in perfectly with zombies.

Additionally they can withstand any temperature that you would normally face throughout the day and go longer than you can before needing to drink water. They also eat plants and I guess they can actually get enough water from digesting them to not need water.

Even their leathery hooves are soft enough to allow generally quiet travel.

Face it. Camels > Everything

Also you can chew on their shit to cure dysentery!

And did I forget to offer you some of muh Camel Milk?

camel-milk.jpg[

I will stay with chicken, easy to take care, move, but i have a little fear of the rooster, it maybe be to noisy (?) And chickens, are pretty good company too (:

If someone know how raise gorillas, you can have an army of zombie killing machines!!

ps: I was thinking, if you can clear a zoo, it is a pretty nice place to live, because some zoos have some nice security (?)

Edited by SenorMonstro