Possible future "Hobby" or Trait - "Survivalist"

LeoIvanov

So, let's go.

"Survivalist", be it a hobby or a whole trait, in zomboid can play a huge, huge role. Survivalists can be described as people who love stuff about survival in the wild/hunting for several days/surviving a catastrophy like water flooding. They are specialized in a lot of stuff that a lot of "average joes" usually didn't know about. For example - they can open the canned food without the need for a can opener.

(Skip to 0:30)

Combined with "Stout" or "Strong" perk, this can prove to be very useful.

They also can do some tricks that an average person wouldn't think about doing. How to create a fire without lighter, how to keep the fire going longer, how to create a lantern from burning the deer/pig's livers. This Hobby or trait should have a very high price, but it will reward you with extra stuff that normally you would only be able to read in the books about. (As in - also introduce books that teach you stuff that "Survivalists" know.) Why? Because in the apocalypse there is no internet, and when you aren't interested in survival in the wild, you most likely won't know how to create a kindle, or how to correctly set up a tent.

Share  your thoughts. Is it a good or a bad idea?

So, let's go.

"Survivalist", be it a hobby or a whole trait, in zomboid can play a huge, huge role. Survivalists can be described as people who love stuff about survival in the wild/hunting for several days/surviving a catastrophy like water flooding. They are specialized in a lot of stuff that a lot of "average joes" usually didn't know about. For example - they can open the canned food without the need for a can opener.

Combined with "Stout" or "Strong" perk, this can prove to be very useful.

They also can do some tricks that an average person wouldn't think about doing. How to create a fire without lighter, how to keep the fire going longer, how to create a lantern from burning the deer/pig's livers. This Hobby or trait should have a very high price...

Not just a high price... Huge, for the sake of balance, you'd want to have to have at least 3 and maybe 4 of the worst traits which are +6 so I'd say survivalist would need to be at least -18 if not more...

You most likely won't know how to create a kindle,

And if you did, Amazon would sue you. lol, sorry. I know what you mean.

Back on topic. Ahem.

Overall, I think it's a bad idea

I'm not saying it's unrealistic, or implausible that "Survivalists" would survive, it's kind of in their nature, but I feel it can be left to modders as I would put this trait as "not an average Joe" and I think the choices you have in the vanilla game should reflect an average person who isn't specifically advantaged towards surviving a zombie apocalypse.

I think the trait speaks to much to the content of the game.  Next we will be asking for the prepper trait, where a character gets a starting house with a bunker and 50 units of food and water.

I say leave it all open to figure out and go from there.  You can start a fire from 9v and steel wool, car battery + spark from wires or taking the glass off a filimant light and providing current  This does not even bring into play friction fires (ie fire bow) or chemical fires (powdered pool cholorine and break fluid).  There are dozens of more ways beyound that.  In the game we have a plethora of matches and lighters, do we really need to go down the list of countless other ways?  Maybe a low tech way based on carpentry (using a fire bow or fire stick, you already have the option for kindling).  Maybe a character with a high cooking trait could render down animal fat (when animals are introduced), put it in a bowl, add in a strip of cloth and make a simple lamp.  They have only been used for what 3k years or more for light?!  I think looking back on what our for-fathers did a few hundred years ago to survive in the American Wilderness is the kind of grit, moxy and skills we need to survive.

I believe the starting character is both lucky, possess a measure of wits and knowledge.  Unlucky people are dead.  Stupid people are dead.  Those who can't think on their feet are dead.  The player is capable.  Lets not hamstring a capable person but only allow certain people to be able to accomplish a task.  This is not surgery, just survival.

BTW, I love survival shows and books :)  Awesome clip.