Base defence against players (Multiplayer)

FloatingInt

With the newly released multiplayer for the Build 41 Beta Branch there were a lot of new features that made me really happy. After a while I realised a big and frustrating problem: there was no real way to secure my base from other players.

The problems:
When I first joined a vanilla server I thought it was enough to simply click on the door and select the “lock door” option -How naive I was...

One time I came back to my base I found a guy in the top floor steeling my broom 😂😂. Note that I had barricaded every window with metal sheets. That guy had just walked into my base after I locked the door. Another problem is that other player can easily find a propan torch and just remove my barricades. There is almost no point of securing your base, just for other players to simply remove them. A common strategy is to let the zombies do the job. Players just collect a bunch of zombies and trick them to slam at my barricades while they watch all of my defence go away.

Solution:

I think the best way is to simply prevent other players from deconstructing your defences. Don’t let them have the option “unbarricade”. But how do you break into these bases you might ask. Add explosives meant to break into bases. There should be like a cheap and ineffective explosive that everyone have access to (everyone have this blueprint). A step up should be something like a C4 wich is highly effective and expensive to make. To use this you should have the option to click on a wall and it says “place explosive”. Then you need to run away to not die from the explosion. A neat idea to the crafting recipe is that it contains gunpowder that you can already get from dismantling ammunition. Maybe let the engineer start with the C4 recipe?

Also, when I scavenged for loot I found padlocks. Unfortunately they can only lock containers. Why not make them able to lock doors? A better alternative would be to add code locks. It should be a recipe everyone have access to. You type in a 4 digit code, then it becomes automatically locked. You can then open and close the door without having to enter the code again. Players that have not entered the right code won’t be able to open nor close the door.

I really love this game, therefore I chose to contribute to the Zomboid community by writing this post <3

• 1 month later...

I agree. The default Vanilla needs to offer properly Locked Doors, and GATES.

We need walls that would need an HOUR to break down, like in Rust, so you need to actually farm and do something to raid someones base.

No one wants Safehouse features on a PVP server. We want raids, but raids where base defenses isn't bypassed simply by building Stairs (sky stairs) or by ruining a wall or two which takes a couple of minutes. How are we to defend ANYTHING?

We have to block our entire bases with vehicles and composters right now, complete insanity.

Please developers, take some queues from Rust on base building/defenses. We need player defenses for PVP servers. Sooner rather than later, everyone who is into PVP has already dropped off again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another big update post, zero word on anything related to multiplayer balancing or PVP.

Is this game supposed to be only 'The Sims for men' ?

Will there be no voice, no regard towards people who enjoy PvP? People who want a Zombie Apocalypse experience with the threat of real human beings also being hostile, not just friendly. Why is there 0 word on anything about this. Just something simple as buffing the HP of walls or fixing doors/locks. Fixing sky stairs bypassing any defense.

There has been 0 word, 0 updates on it forever.

Archived