A few questions about foraging

BeatlJoe

New foraging system is absolutely annoying and useless. It needs a HUGE boost. This is ridiculous how on the 7th foraging level you are going in the deep forest full of zombies, putting yourself at risk, destroying your clothes just to find two small branches and an empty bottle. It is very time consuming and the reward is so, SO low. You can search for food for days (literally) and you will find nothing but junk. It looks like a joke when your character can't even find any tree branches in DEEP FOREST. Need to craft some spears or wooden axes? Forget about it - chipped stones are the most rare loot in this game right now, lmao. Sorry for my agropost, but the fact that some developer looked at this and said "yes, this is ok" makes me laugh hysterically.

10 hours ago, James Bovt said:

New foraging system is absolutely annoying and useless. It needs a HUGE boost. This is ridiculous how on the 7th foraging level you are going in the deep forest full of zombies, putting yourself at risk, destroying your clothes just to find two small branches and an empty bottle. It is very time consuming and the reward is so, SO low. You can search for food for days (literally) and you will find nothing but junk. It looks like a joke when your character can't even find any tree branches in DEEP FOREST. Need to craft some spears or wooden axes? Forget about it - chipped stones are the most rare loot in this game right now, lmao. Sorry for my agropost, but the fact that some developer looked at this and said "yes, this is ok" makes me laugh hysterically.

What makes me laugh hysterically, but also cry for humanity is when people don't understand what WIP is. The whole system is being redone by one person, and yes feedback is good but not in how you're expressing it. It's a separate branch for a reason to IWBUMS, too. This wasn't just for MP itself:

image.png.c97be2fd425827d520a523b3f2eb6b12.png

Foraging is very early in development. In an ideal world we would have released this a little later rather than simultaneously with MP. We need to further indicate how the system works as well as finish adding and balancing all the foraging zones. The system isn't broken, it's just more beta than other aspects of this beta release.

Maybe it would be a better policy that if a system is that rudimentary as to be essentially unusable, it should be withheld from release until it's at least at basic level of functionality? I get the idea is to test stuff, but it needs some base level functionality to actually require testing.

Just a thought.

The system works perfectly fine once you know how to use it. It is different from what it used to be - true - and it's no longer as simple as "fast forward through the day and get a whole level in foraging". Darkness, weather, area, skill level and more - all play the part now (note: some areas/zones are still WIP). Additionally, you can attack and defend whilst looking for stuff which is a great bonus, isn't it? That said, changes are coming and the functionality will be adjusted in response to player demands. 

6 hours ago, Pandorea said:

The system works perfectly fine once you know how to use it

Ok, so please explain me how to craft at least two spears in one day of foraging, because it seems that the new foraging system is too good for me. I'm foraging in daylight without headgear, always using sneak mode to boost visibility... to find empty bottles and rocks. Oh, I found wild onion once, that was so cool, I almost cried of hapiness.

21 hours ago, James Bovt said:

i like the idea of what they were doing where you had to go out and actually move around to find stuff, but i do agree the spawntables are a little messed up

14 hours ago, James Bovt said:

Ok, so please explain me how to craft at least two spears in one day of foraging, because it seems that the new foraging system is too good for me. I'm foraging in daylight without headgear, always using sneak mode to boost visibility... to find empty bottles and rocks. Oh, I found wild onion once, that was so cool, I almost cried of hapiness.

Afaik, "crafting 2 spears per day" is not / never was a guarantee. The old Foraging system was too op and now it has been dialled down to what the team wants/ sees fit. Finding tree branches also depends on where you're looking for them - I for example have no problem finding them.

So.
The settings in the sandbox affect the number of items found.

I don't know if 41.61 changed anything in Foraging, but there are more items to find even at a lower level.

I like the way of increasing lvl, adding XP by finding an item and picking it up.

I'm starting to like the new Foraging, but it needs to be improved. We'll see what the mods come up with.

I hope that someday the ability to at least 'focus' on a category (crafting materials, herbs, animals, bait, berries, mushrooms, loot) of foraged items gets reintroduced.  Even if you can only select one category at a time. This could maybe give players a nice boosted chance to forage for / spot items from the desired category. 

The new foraging system would be fine with some polishing if every single place I tried to settle wasn't a big no-foraging zone. It feels like for now, until further development is completed on new zones, that all forested areas should be searchable as some type of general forest and not some great unknown.  Maybe I'm missing some mechanic and the error is on my end but this one thing throws cold water on my friends and I continuing how we want to play at this point. High hopes for future updates!

On 12/16/2021 at 5:40 PM, gpHarlock said:

I hope that someday the ability to at least 'focus' on a category (crafting materials, herbs, animals, bait, berries, mushrooms, loot) of foraged items gets reintroduced.  Even if you can only select one category at a time. This could maybe give players a nice boosted chance to forage for / spot items from the desired category. 

This is exactly what I've been thinking multiple times in the last few days while foraging. I have no problem with the new system in general, but not being able to look for a specific "type" of item makes foraging almost non-productive at this time. I understand the profits from the old system needed a nerf (100 berries within a few hours... really?), but we now pretty much switched to the other extreme where you sometimes need days to finally find one edible item.

Having said that, we all knew already this was a beta build, so I'm currently just waiting for the updates that will take care of the issue. I'm sure the devs will figure something out.

Archived