Rail Yard

American Steel

Is it just me, or is the rail yard fencing look a bit unique?

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.575754432633982,0.23012645920966474,112.81198844515174

Has anyone laid eyes on the rail head yet?  If not, this might be an exception place to build a town!  It looks to have more more land than Main Street WP, some obscene fortifications (I mean look at the hills to hide rail cars), even the rail cars look like forts.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a new game on Ver. 20 last night.  They put me about a block away from...

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5565560566446017,0.1964775291053308,65.28471553538876

I have actually fortified the two story house directly to the west.  I plan on using it as a "run to" house if this new Zed migration patch is a beefy as it appears.  I am also getting my carpentry skills up on a house that is not my main base of operations.  I need to fortify the new homestead behind the wall and stock up on supplies (put in a few rain barrels and sew some cabbage).  I figure it will take me a week to prepare for a road trip.  I am then heading down there.

If it looks like I can sustain myself on what is available, I may try to start my own secure place.  This whole place intrigues the hell out of me.  One of those two office building could be a great place to set up.  The rail car bunkers look promising, especially with 2 story entrances.  You could put a gate house there and some stairs up to the top to farm (as the hills look to steep to climb).  The three rail barns look great too.  The sprinking of rail cars, sheds, a few trailers.... looks like a gold mine.  The only problem I see is the trees needed for building materials are all a good distance by foot to obtain.

I think I will call it... "This Land!"

I made a run up to the Revamped Old Warehouse and picked up all the tools: 2 sledge hammers, an axe, trowels, barbed wire, 2 boxes of nails + over 100 loose nails.  It was a b!tch to take it and hold it though.  I have fortified it except for one door.  On my next run I will bring a few sheets and make a rope for 2nd story access.

I have since gone back to my farmstead and started fortifying.  I have only built one low grade rain barrel.  Since the water is out, I need a half dozen more.  I can then put in some basic crops, water them and head out.

I finally started a game where I made a bee-line straight for the Rail Yard, The first building I went into -

Ga3Mimx.jpg

Do I need to report it or is the area still a WIP?

Not just a texture bug as I first thought either, zombie ran straight at me and nearly took me out while I smiled at it from the "safety" of inside the shed.

On a happier note, the Rail Yard looks awesome and the 2 story office building with a pre-built roof terrace ready for gardening, has become my 2nd choice go to area for when 2nd floor building bugs are fixed!

I finally started a game where I made a bee-line straight for the Rail Yard, The first building I went into -

Ga3Mimx.jpg

Do I need to report it or is the area still a WIP?

Not just a texture bug as I first thought either, zombie ran straight at me and nearly took me out while I smiled at it from the "safety" of inside the shed.

On a happier note, the Rail Yard looks awesome and the 2 story office building with a pre-built roof terrace ready for I gardening, has become my 2nd choice go to area for when 2nd floor building bugs are fixed!

I think you are looking through some sort of windows.  Not sure though.  Could be a bug.

Man I want to see what that place is like.  More pics!!!  What do the rail bunkers look like?

So I ran around a bit and died, but I got some good screenies, looks like a really interesting place, will be a hassle to clear of zeds, there were probably about 80-100 in there, well spaced, but if you had a horde or they increase zombie numbers around POI, it could become quite difficult to secure, anyway, the highlights!

Main office

8ahwH84.jpg

I will definitely set up a base here in at least one playthrough.

Rail Bunker

hBFqX4V.jpg

Inside is much like any warehouse, was chased out by some Z before I got a good screenie...

There are a few trailers and the odd shed but nothing of specific interest, plus lots of flat clear land for farming, or building, or making a football pitch once the fence is complete! Like Fj45 said, it would take some work to patch up, my only concern would be acquiring wood.

There are a few problems with the place.

1. It is FAR removed.  We are not talking about McCoy Logging removed, it is much farther than that.  So if you need food, tools or the like not on site... well it is a long way down to the corner store.
  2. Wood is JUST over there.  All of the rail yard proper is devoid of trees.  There are plenty of trees just beyond that fence.  Hauling logs is going to be a pain.

I have a solution to some extent.

1. Its distance looks to be a strength and a weakness.  Once you clear out the local population, unless the spawn inside... they have a ways to trek to get to you.  I plan on taking my essential tools, 200 nails, garbage bags, etc.  I will be cooking some food and taking it with me AND taking some canned goods for the trip.
  2. Wood is just over there... but I have a solution I will share.  The shortest distance between and fence and roof access is here.  http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.551788047418262,0.2411596794467651,207.77777777777783  I plan scavanging enough material to build a raised platform out over the fence, build a window and drop a rope.  I can then use this as my staging area for lumber.  You could put a little farm off to the East of the main building on that strip of dirt with minimal additional fencing (4 or 5 units at most).  Another 4 or 5 units to seal off the western side and the barricade the place up tight (4 windows and 2 doors).  If you REALLY have to build more farm land neaby, just build on the unprotected side and put up another fence (you are covered on 2 sides already by the existing metal works).

Rail Yard Update

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5794147833089532,0.22797400107750024,107.43998899538262

This abdonded building is a waste of space.  There is a "T" shaped hall that runs through the center of the building and exists at 3 different sets of double doors.  The only rooms without windows are two bathrooms and a ultility room (that has two doors).  I did find a box of nails and 2 garbage bags, so it is not a complete loss.  YMMV on loot, but there is only about 10 possible containers in the entire building.  Also, the small room on top of the building is not accessable via stairs from the building itself.  So this is a buiild your own access.

Rail Car Update #2

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5733370185186808,0.2362073195323189,124.3518391150262

The rail car hangers are three stories tall with catwalks above.  They look to be very defensibile on high, but no sort of amenities (fridge, couch, bed).  There are a few tables and chairs.  The storage containers scattered about are bare.  I was able to find a few nails, a hammer, some seed packets and tape.

Warning - There are some clipping issues up on the catwalks and the walls.  You can take a three story fall... and die.  Glad I saved my game!!

Rail Car Update #3

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5544904263514888,0.24087557607749283,71.96286985823276

The two trailers closest to the two story building are a Mess Hall and a set of bathrooms.  The mess hall has no food.  The two story building has fridge on the lower floor, a water cooler, some bathrooms and office space.  The upper floor is office space with a view.  No oven.

The biggest problem I have discovered in the rail yard is the complete lack of food!!

Rail Car Update #4

I have secured the two story building and put a rope out one of the glass windows, as the "build you own window for a rope drop" is buggy.  Final thoughts:

• In the ENTIRE place I found one fridge (in the two story building) that had about 6 food items.  Two of the rail car bunkers did have vending machines, but they were empty.  BYOF is mandatory.
  • The rail yard look to have a few hundred Zed walking hither and yon.  If the entrances could be plugged and Zed is forced to wander into the place... it could be a serious fortification.  If Zed can spawn anywhere, trying to keep a handle on a place larger than downtown WP could be a pain to the Nth degree.
  • The concrete reinforced chain fences that surround the facility, Zeds cannot even see through.  Also the trees density is not places is very heavy.  Even looking out a two story window you cannot see far.  Which buffers movement greatly.
  • The four rail bunkers are basically hollow, with a set of stairs leading to a platform and small catwalk.  I believe it would be possible to build a catwalk over the entrance, use a rope to get in and out.  Considering they only have one entrance the would make great shelters.  The down side is living in a dead end could be a recipie for disaster.
  • Due to some clipping issues Zed can see through the Northen side of the walls on the rail yard barns and can walk through the walls.  However, if you are on the catwalks, they don't notice you.  Catwalks are laid out in a U pattern on the 2nd level.  They could be defended very easily, which is good because the bottom level is wide open.
  • The small rail car sections you can see out on the tracks CAN be entered.  This could make them great little fortifications.  Reminds me of the subway cars in Fallout 3, where the locals put ramps to get a height advantage over the player.

I have decided to leave the Rail Yard for now, though I did find a ton of supplies (9 boxes of nails, 2 shotguns, 100+ shells, 3 sledgehammers, 2 axe, 4 trowels and a treasure trove of repair items (duct tape, wood glue, rope,etc).  I have left most of my supplies in place and plan on returning every few days to further fortify.  I easily see this place as an "end game" location to wait is out -- lol.  I am playing the game where 12 hours = 1 day in game.  It takes about 20 to 30 game minutes to go from the fenced cottage to the entrance of the yard.

Starting location for run to Rail Yard

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5569144172123042,0.196231508138837,71.96286985823276

Note - I actually watch Zed wander about in a thunderstorm, but it was not like planes were buzzing the place.  I do believe the storms of just eye/ear candy with little or no actual Zed impact.

Nice reconnaissance Steel. I'd be interested in seeing interior screenshots of the main rail yard building.

Careful with the farm at the fenced house. In my game I noticed there's a spawn point for the zeds out in the street in front of it. Might want to build some addiational exits to prevent your access to it getting blocked.

Nice reconnaissance Steel. I'd be interested in seeing interior screenshots of the main rail yard building.

Careful with the farm at the fenced house. In my game I noticed there's a spawn point for the zeds out in the street in front of it. Might want to build some addiational exits to prevent your access to it getting blocked.

Next time I head down to the rail yard I will take some shots.  I went to McCoy today and looted the to Eastern most buildings, fortified the southern of the two.  I took about about 8 boxes of nails and a ton of seeds.  The three building to on the Eastern edge look the same.

Right now I have fortified that building at McCoy, the Old Warehouse, the two story near the awseome fenced farm, the fenced farm and the two story at the rail yard.  I actually built a gate house and a farm at the fenced farm.  I need to get my Carpentry skill to 4 so rain barrels will not be a problem since the water turned off on Day 0 for me.  I have 7 garbage bag barrels at my farm, and I dont think that is enough.

Steel, I love reading your base diary so much that I ran over there and took some screenshots for you. :wub:

Railyard must only be fully completed in the Beta, seems only half done in the Steam main branch e.g. the office building with 'T' inside was completely missing in my game, and the building your using as your fort didn't have the fence around it. In any event hopefully the below is still helpful for planning.

1st floor interior

dark area at the top of the pic is men/women's bathrooms (water, plenty of stall doors for hinges/knobs)

dark area to the right pic is two offices, each with a window

dark area to the left of the pic is one office, one window

PIdNphR.jpg?1

2nd floor interior

dark area to the left is an office much like the visable one

CoM67aC.jpg?1

2nd level Roof

I've been doing a lot of roof forts lately, and working around the bugs, here are my suggestions for sheet rope access points for the 2nd level. I would drop one down here as player made in-game-south-facing windows can be buggy and require you to be facing the outside of the building to drop a sheet rope. I usually look for 'L' shape notches in the roof so I can access the outside menu simply by standing on another part of the roof. Alternatively I create L's by placing my own floor tiles. I noticed building fences around the sheet rope access point seems to fix the fall to your death sheet rope bug as you transition from the sheet rope animation to the fence animation if you should oddly be facing the wrong way when you get to the top:

yRWK5uh.jpg?1

I would drop another in-game-south-facing rope out this window:

PQaWDoX.jpg?1

And finally an in-game-east-facing rope here:

7JEjlZj.jpg?1

I've had a real issue with sheet ropes on in-game-north & west-facing windows and if you need exits facing in those directions would advise building out south & east facing windows that drop you on that side of the building. Once you're satisfied I would demolish the stairs to the second level and place floor tiles over the second floor hole.

3rd level roof

No screenshots, but can easily see from the map:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.551788047418262,0.2411596794467651,207.77777777777783

Remember to build your stairs one tile back and to fence the sides of the tile at the top, this should prevent you from falling. If you want you could simply add sheet rope access down to the 2nd level roof, destroy the stairs, and call it a day. If you wanted ground level access I would drop a south facing rope so it was just to the right of your right door at the bottom. I would drop another to just to right of the east facing rope you dropped out the 2nd level. For west access I might build my own floor one tile back from the SW corner to create one of those L's, alternatively you may have your skywalk in this area over the fence to the forest and not need it.

I think it would be interesting to make one roof your farm and the other one your fort. ^_^

Warehouse Interior

As you said very cool aside from the only one exit:

MyFlPA4.png?1

Fenced Farm

No screenshot, just wanted to say to remember to build a rear exit, I had a super horde spawn right out front in one of my previous games, blocked my only way out trapping me inside without enough planks to build an exit. :(

Steel, I love reading your base diary so much that I ran over there and took some screenshots for you. :wub:

Railyard must only be fully completed in the Beta, seems only half done in the Steam main branch e.g. the office building with 'T' inside was completely missing in my game, and the building your using as your fort didn't have the fence around it. In any event hopefully the below is still helpful for planning.

1st floor interior

dark area at the top of the pic is men/women's bathrooms (water, plenty of stall doors for hinges/knobs)

dark area to the right pic is two offices, each with a window

dark area to the left of the pic is one office, one window

PIdNphR.jpg?1

2nd floor interior

dark area to the left is an office much like the visable one

CoM67aC.jpg?1

2nd level Roof

I've been doing a lot of roof forts lately, and working around the bugs, here are my suggestions for sheet rope access points for the 2nd level. I would drop one down here as player made in-game-south-facing windows can be buggy and require you to be facing the outside of the building to drop a sheet rope. I usually look for 'L' shape notches in the roof so I can access the outside menu simply by standing on another part of the roof. Alternatively I create L's by placing my own floor tiles. I noticed building fences around the sheet rope access point seems to fix the fall to your death sheet rope bug as you transition from the sheet rope animation to the fence animation if you should oddly be facing the wrong way when you get to the top:

yRWK5uh.jpg?1

I would drop another in-game-south-facing rope out this window:

PQaWDoX.jpg?1

And finally an in-game-east-facing rope here:

7JEjlZj.jpg?1

I've had a real issue with sheet ropes on in-game-north & west-facing windows and if you need exits facing in those directions would advise building out south & east facing windows that drop you on that side of the building. Once you're satisfied I would demolish the stairs to the second level and place floor tiles over the second floor hole.

3rd level roof

No screenshots, but can easily see from the map:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.551788047418262,0.2411596794467651,207.77777777777783

Remember to build your stairs one tile back and to fence the sides of the tile at the top, this should prevent you from falling. If you want you could simply add sheet rope access down to the 2nd level roof, destroy the stairs, and call it a day. If you wanted ground level access I would drop a south facing rope so it was just to the right of your right door at the bottom. I would drop another to just to right of the east facing rope you dropped out the 2nd level. For west access I might build my own floor one tile back from the SW corner to create one of those L's, alternatively you may have your skywalk in this area over the fence to the forest and not need it.

I think it would be interesting to make one roof your farm and the other one your fort. ^_^

Warehouse Interior

As you said very cool aside from the only one exit:

MyFlPA4.png?1

Fenced Farm

No screenshot, just wanted to say to remember to build a rear exit, I had a super horde spawn right out front in one of my previous games, blocked my only way out trapping me inside without enough planks to build an exit. :(

Thanks for the photos!!

The RW trumps a game, so I have turned my gaming mode "off" until the holiday is over.

I am still running supplies down to the rail yard and I am not ready to delve in completely yet.  I just made a run up to McCoy over the weekend and found a key item for roof top gardening, empty sandbags.  I plan on running though the rest of McCoy for more materials and then delving a bit more into food/convienance stores for packaged goods.  I want to be able to take 100 units of packaged food down to the Rail Yard, and leave my other fortifications stocked as a place to retreat.

Here is a question for the builders.  I understand Zeds can break though barrels and crates now.  Can they break through the "bar" furniture option?  Can Zed's destroy and/or jump over sand bag walls?  Gravel Walls?  I have found about dozen sand bags and half a dozen gravel bags.  I like using barbed wire for choke points but I want to put some sort of walls Zed's cannot break down in front of doors/windows.

As far as exits go, I usually have three: main entrance, side door and a postern gate.

Was able to play last night for the first time in about a week.  Was able to get my Carpentry to 4 (woot!)  I can now begin the formal settlement process for the Rail Yard.  I have 9 trash bag rain barrels laid in at my farm, so I now have a reserve to fall back on.

Now comes the ardrous process of hauling the "necessary" food and equipment down from my farm to the rail yard.  I think I am going to focus on bringing in the required materials to set up my operations and maybe about 10 units of dry goods on each run.  I want to make sure I have enough to get the job started BUT I dont want to get cut off by a Zed horde and have nothing to fall back on.

Next time I log in, I will get some pics to post.