Bleach poisoning cure

Lord_Mortimus

Should be able to Throw up bleach into a toilet/sink.

Or at least keeping very well fed to stabilise health and taking pills until the poisoning passes.

Just so I can let my character attempt to kill himself and then go through the ordeal of surviving it, to teach the prick a lesson.

Or incase someone changes their mind after trying to die... or for noobs to grasp for the second change after a spastic mistake.

Should be able to Throw up bleach into a toilet/sink.

Or at least keeping very well fed to stabilise health and taking pills until the poisoning passes.

Just so I can let my character attempt to kill himself and then go through the ordeal of surviving it, to teach the prick a lesson.

Or incase someone changes their mind after trying to die... or for noobs to grasp for the second change after a spastic mistake.

The problem is that not everything poisonous ingested is able to just be thrown up. Once it enters your system, sometimes you're screwed.

There is no guarantee that you can throw it all back up. Trace amounts will always be left behind, and you only need trace amounts in your system for bleach to kill you.

Swallowing bleach, it's pretty final.

Trace amounts WILL NOT kill you.  Complete poppycock.  The Army has been using it for decades in the field.  Here is a linkie for you from The Law, Science and Public Health Law Site.  If you want to cut to the chase, read the spoiler below:

BLEACH DISINFECTION

Treating water with bleach is very effective at killing germs and it doesn't taste funny to most of us because this is basically what most city water supplies do.  You need to have a bottle of plain liquid chlorine bleach and a dropper.  The bleach should be 5 to 6 percent sodium hypochlorite with no preservatives and no additional ingredients.  Do not use scented bleaches, color safe bleaches, powdered bleaches, or bleaches with added cleaners.  You want the good old fashion stuff that smells like chlorine and burns holes in your clothes if you pour it right on them.  Even this is hard to choose because it is now available in different concentrations.  Ultra Clorox is a 6% solution instead of 5.25% but it is the same stuff.  Keep a bottle of plain 5.25% or 6% chlorine bleach with no additives in the laundry room to use for water purification.  Besides, this cleans sweat socks as well as any of the others.

To treat water with chlorine bleach, put the water in a clean container and add 16 drops of bleach for every gallon of water.  Stir in the bleach and let the water stand for 30 minutes.  If the water does not have a little smell of bleach, repeat the dosage of 16 drops per gallon and let it sit for another 15 minutes.  If it smells of bleach now it is OK to drink.  If it doesn't smell of bleach after two treatments, the water is too dirty to use.  Throw it away and treat a new batch of water.

AMOUNTS OF BLEACH FOR ORDINARY CONTAINERS
  • 1 quart bottle               4 drops of bleach
  • 2 liter soda bottle        10 drops of bleach
  • 1 gallon jug                 16 drops of bleach (1/8 tsp)
  • 2 gallon cooler             32 drops of bleach (1/4 tsp)
  • 5 gallon bottle             1 teaspoon of bleach

Swallowing bleach is a good way to play the end game card, but trace amount... bah!

I think he meant more than a teaspoon of bleach per five gallons of water when he said trace amounts. The game assumes that you drank the entire bottle of bleach and throwing it up might still leave a few whole cups full of the stuff left inside your body.

The toxicity depends on which of the many chemicals generally referred to as bleach the PZ one is meant to represent. Chlorine is indeed commonly used to disinfect water, as is hydrogen peroxide, and probably other types of bleach as well. Hydrogen peroxide in particular is "safe" in the sense that it decomposes into oxygen and water. However I think we can assume in PZ the quick death on ingestion is because of the liquid's causticity and the gases and heat it produces when in contact to the throat and stomach lining. This means it in

1) in strong enough concentration to cause this damage,

2) vomiting doesn't necessarily improve the situation massively and

3) any poisoning you may get is secondary in effect to the dissolution and rupturing of your internal organs.

I do believe when consuming bleach the first step to do is drink Milk. I don't know why exactly, but I guess it helps.

"In case of accidental ingestion, drink a glass of water or milk, and contact a poison control center."

Perfect example. Someone that knows about Bleach poisoning could drink milk while someone that doesn't would vomit and make it worse.

I do believe when consuming bleach the first step to do is drink Milk. I don't know why exactly, but I guess it helps.

"In case of accidental ingestion, drink a glass of water or milk, and contact a poison control center."

Perfect example. Someone that knows about Bleach poisoning could drink milk while someone that doesn't would vomit and make it worse.

If you chug down a whole bottle of bleach I doubt drinking some milk would save you...

If you chug down a whole bottle of bleach I doubt drinking some milk would save you...

Could help you survive longer and if they did implement a system like that I am sure you would be able to take different doses or ingest it in other ways. (use too much trying to purify water?)

Hmm... Why, exactly, are we talking about trying to save someone that decided to drink a bottle of bleach?

It was suppose to be plea for help.  They really did not mean to try to kill themselves, at the end of the world, with zombies at the door and contained in some quarantine area with no hope for survival.  Everyone you have ever known: family, friends, co-workers are all dead and gone or dead and trying to get you.

Hmmmm...

Pour me a shot!  :P