[FIXED] Help! How to "force-update" mods on local hosted server? "Workshop item version different than server's"

firegarden

Question

FULL FIX GUIDE

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2681173441

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happened twice now. I got my server up, fully modded, spent some hours in it, until suddenly, mods get updated on my client when a new version is released on the workshop, but it seems the server won't react the same way. Then, the typical error pops up whenever I try to boot the server after updating: "Workshop item version different than server's", which means the server is outdated. So here I am, trying to figure out a way for the server to "force" the update on these mods. It's truly a pain in the ass.

P.S.: Yes, I've already tried wiping out all PZ workshop files from my PC and also unsuscribing/resuscribing to them. Like I said, it's not a client problem, but a server's one. 

Edited by firegarden

12 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Beard said:

Either delete the specific mod folder or the whole "steamapps" folder in the server directory, this will prompt to redownload all the mods anew. Alternatively, try launching the server a few times until it notices there is an update.

The thing is, the server files are located exclusively in User/[Name]/Zomboid, since it's a local server, (The "HOST" option in the main menu) so, there's no dedicated folder for the server exclusively. I can navigate to User/[Name]/Zomboid/Server where I can find the .ini files and/or to User/[Name]/Zomboid/Saves/Multiplayer, where I can find the world folder.

Actually I run servers and ones with steam workshop mods typically the server updates fine but the client mods I generally have to tell people what mod updated and to uninstall and reinstall it from their clients and it fixes the issue for some reason steam hasn’t been updating mods correctly.

I run steam servers for Ark survival evolved this always happens how I fix it is I goto the workshop unsub from the mod or all if I don’t remember which one after the server was updated. And resub generally fixes the error it happens every mod update without fail on clients so I gotta tell everyone to resub every time I update servers it’s very annoying.

16 hours ago, Beard said:

That is very strange, so you are using the Host function right? Which should use the exact same mods as you have as a client, but when you try to launch it it shows that the workshop version is different?

Yes, that's correct. That's why I wonder how can this be happening if there's no separate mods folder for client/server.

9 hours ago, Luna_Sky said:

Actually I run servers and ones with steam workshop mods typically the server updates fine but the client mods I generally have to tell people what mod updated and to uninstall and reinstall it from their clients and it fixes the issue for some reason steam hasn’t been updating mods correctly.

The problem here is the server not identifying mods properly, like it had a reference for an older/newer build of some mods.

8 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Just to be sure, under the Workshop tab, the mods are listed?

There's two places, mods and workshop in the server settings.

Yes, everything is in place, both in the Workshop and in the Mods tab, even matching the different files some mods offer in the Mods one. What's weirder is that now it struggles to even generate a new world from scratch, it throws the error right away. I'm 99% sure it has to do with some cached/residual files stored somewhere in between Steamapps and the Zomboid folder in documents. Appdata maybe?

It could very well be the content server nearest to the server or the affected client(s) is out of date, so it's pulling an incorrect mod?

But, Steam is generally a bit weird. Try this first:

Have the user go to the location of the file and manually delete it. Then, in Steam right click Pz -> properties -> local files -> verify ... It should show the differing file on connection, unless I'm mistaken?  If not, have them go to %ProgamFiles(X86)%\steam\steamapps\workshop\ and delete 108600. It'll redownload all mods when the game is verified (mentioned previously). 

Sometimes Steam won't replace files that have had small changes or were deleted, so the client then throws this error trying to connect to the server. 

12 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It could very well be the content server nearest to the server or the affected client(s) is out of date, so it's pulling an incorrect mod?

But, Steam is generally a bit weird. Try this first:

Have the user go to the location of the file and manually delete it. Then, in Steam right click Pz -> properties -> local files -> verify ... It should show the differing file on connection, unless I'm mistaken?  If not, have them go to %ProgamFiles(X86)%\steam\steamapps\workshop\ and delete 108600. It'll redownload all mods when the game is verified (mentioned previously). 

Sometimes Steam won't replace files that have had small changes or were deleted, so the client then throws this error trying to connect to the server. 

Done, I've done all of that and I can confirm that as of today, on the brand new released official 41.60 MP build, this persists as an issue. Maybe it'll happen to other people and will be useful as a heads up for the devs looking towards the upcoming "full" release of the MP. I'm sure it's nothing bigger than a bug. Thank you for you help!

I'll leave a link to my collection, in case anyone who sees this wants to try and replicate the error: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2626404221

Edited by firegarden

On 12/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, firegarden said:

Done, I've done all of that and I can confirm that as of today, on the brand new released official 41.60 MP build, this persists as an issue. Maybe it'll happen to other people and will be useful as a heads up for the devs looking towards the upcoming "full" release of the MP. I'm sure it's nothing bigger than a bug. Thank you for you help!

I'll leave a link to my collection, in case anyone who sees this wants to try and replicate the error: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2626404221

Well, today I can say I got the solution. Check the pinned answer to my post in Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/3198115500363908004

Also,@EnigmaGrey, if you could spread this, I'm sure many players would be so thankful.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:37 PM, Beard said:

Either delete the specific mod folder or the whole "steamapps" folder in the server directory, this will prompt to redownload all the mods anew. Alternatively, try launching the server a few times until it notices there is an update.

Tried this and now the server refuses to re-download mods. Console says mod "XY" is not found....