First Aid skills

Ziggylata

Just thinking out loud here, which I hope invokes some discussion.

First aid is pretty important and I understand why everyone can perform every medical action, having a wound you couldnt close would be a rough deal. However, this kind of makes the first aid skill kind of useless. If a level 1 first aid skill can stitch, treat a wound and bandage it properly, why do I need to level it up? The short answer, you dont and youve never needed to and any leveling of first aid is simply a bonus to its effectiveness.

While this would be a raw deal for everyone else, given this games nature, I think itd be better to see first aid become a valuable skill and one that locks out low-level characters from being able to perform some actions, much like how nearly every other skill does such as carpentry, electric, mechanic. As it stands, I dont think ive ever worried about my first aid skill a single time since ive started playing once I knew how it worked. Positive traits could supplement this change, such as one that gives a small boost to first aid right away so you can still perform the important basics.

Obviously, this is just my thoughts on the top of my head and I havent thought it through more than this, please share what you think of this? Maybe you agree with first aid being useless but not my suggestions. Let me know.

The difference is the amount of time it takes to heal. As someone who has constructed numerous big ugly forts. Having a doctor with even 6 heal skill mend your broken leg compared to you trying to do it yourself is like a 16 irl hour heal time difference. It also helps out in situations when someone ended up getting shot 5 times and is at the brink of death.

Instead of simply limiting your ability to heal some things, I could see there being a failure chance when doing certain actions, like taking out a bullet with tweezers. This system, in my head, could be somewhat based off of RimWorld's (which is, in my opinion, is in the top three medical systems in a game I've ever played), so that a level 1 First Aid would not just take forever to remove a bullet or to heal from the wound, but would have a chance to disturb the wound, causing either some sort of rupture or intense pain.

The problem with first aid is that you hope to never use it. Its not something you can farm XP for and level it up. You need an injury to practice on and intentionally injuring yourself for practice without any real doctors to go to and a world in short supply (or difficult to get) medications is not a great idea. 

First Aid in PZ is like a punter on an American football team; If everything goes right, they never play a snap. 

I Agree with Cap. it is a kinda useless skill duo to the nature of the game what is:you get hit you get ded and the other way of getting injured being your own consequences of your actions (elbow a window,run in the forest ..stuff like that). So its basicly they better you get at the game they less (non) you get injured, what do i get for skilling it? in my opinion first aid should give bonis to things what dont involve you being injured like brew some drugs or hit critical parts of zombies bodies like the kneecaps to make em crawl or something like that another thing i was thinking about is getting some more craft options for the tailor and have a 100% bite and scratch protection in full gear, i mean its damn close anyways but as long as its not 100% im not gonna change playstyle to riskyer (get more injury/bruise in the process) ...one thing fore sure as it stands i would NOT recommence the doctors prof. as a starting option ;)

The amount of time it takes to heal, to suture, to remove glass, all the action become quicker as your skills raise. 

If it doesn't seem like much, it will save your life when you are badly injured and are bleeding to death because you can't perform the actions quickly enough. 

At level 10, you zoom through the actions of giving yourself treatment and the healing time seems greatly reduced.

It does time a long time to grind though. 

As soon as I'd heal up from wounds, I'd walk barefoot on broken glass and jump through windows with the broken glass still in place - it was a grind but I'm glad I did it.

I do like Extrema's suggestion about chance of failure being involved with each medical action. 

20 minutes ago, Laker said:

The amount of time it takes to heal, to suture, to remove glass, all the action become quicker as your skills raise. 

If it doesn't seem like much, it will save your life when you are badly injured and are bleeding to death because you can't perform the actions quickly enough. 

At level 10, you zoom through the actions of giving yourself treatment and the healing time seems greatly reduced.

It does time a long time to grind though. 

As soon as I'd heal up from wounds, I'd walk barefoot on broken glass and jump through windows with the broken glass still in place - it was a grind but I'm glad I did it.

I do like Extrema's suggestion about chance of failure being involved with each medical action. 

i love ur pfp man good job