Line of sight and trees

Papa Juliet Whiskey

I love the whole line of sight mechanic in game, as it adds that sense of "oh, hello, I didn't see you Yarghh!"

And vegetation is a good sightline blocker. However, I think there should be a mechanic in game, be it a skill or trait, that improves ones ability to see through vegetation to a degree.

The following as a real life example of such an ability.

My uncle, Fisher, trapper, hunter woodsman kind of fellow took me hunting for my first time many moons ago. Technically, he was looking for this years beaver dams, but brought me a long for a little skoot and shoot.

We were driving down a narrow backroad, with the eaves of evergreen trees scraping either side of the truck, with only a crack of open sky above. In other words, thick ass Woodlands, almost all evergreen trees.

Suddenly he stops and asks if I was "that". I did not.

Anyway, he tossed me the gun, and pointed a direction. After about 2 minutes of looking, I finally say the tiny head of a partridge through the eaves of three trees worth of evergreen.

Basically, those with a lot of woodland or hunting experience should get some kind of bonus chance to spot through trees, while a city slicker like myself has got to stare at the same spot for an unsafe amount of time to notice anything.

Maybe a spotting skill, or woodman trait or something that makes deep wood navigation for someone accustomed to it a little better at spotting the dangers.

I assume it could somehow be tied to the hearing mechanic, as it seems to be the thing that 'spots' zeds outside of your normal field of vision.

Anyways, just a thought. Make the rangers woodland navigation speed more than a quicker way to walk into a waiting bite.