Building brick walls

LeoIvanov

Yes, ladies and gentlemen - that brick wall everyone has seen in games but never thought of suggesting for building. Let's not waste too much text space - straight to the deal!

WARNING : All of the calculations (like amount of bricks needed for wall construction, or item weight) can be tweaked, I'm only suggesting the working system for it.

- Build brick constructions - Brick fence, brick wall, brick tables - something zombies wouldn't be able to break at all, unlike with wooden constructions.

- New items : Bricks, construction trowel, Bag of bricks, bucket of concrete liquid.

- Bricks - Can be found on construction sites and unfinished building sites. Can be used as a blunt weapon, takes some space in the inventory (let's say 1 brick = 0.5 weight) and can be combined into "Bag of Bricks" when you have over 50 of them. (Just like it works with nails, bullets, etc)

- Brick Wall - to build 1 tile of brick wall you'll need about 250 bricks,bucket of concrete liquid, and construction tool like a trowel (forgot it's name even in Russian).

- Concrete Liquid - Pour bag of concrete into the water barrel and mix it up with a sturdy stick/spade to get a barrel with concrete liquid. You can't drink water from there anymore, but you can get about 5-10 buckets of concrete out of it for wall construction (needs buckets, of course).

- Brick fence - Works like any other fence, as zombies don't attack fence but just hop them - if in the future those will get attacked instead of hopped, it will be the sturdiest and strongest structure that can hold zeddos off your garden. Uses the same tools to create brick wall, with the exception of 100 bricks.

- Bag of bricks - Uses up 18 inventory slots. Only "Strong" characters that are well fed can carry it with no speed reduction, and carry nothing else on them. Can right click on it and do "Open Bag of bricks", which will give you 50 bricks, which, if unpacked, take 25 inventory slots (0.5 x 50). You should be able to "drop" all the bricks near the place you want to build the wall at, so 250 bricks for 1 wall doesn't encumber you, just like it (supposed to anyway) works in the vanilla game with planks of wood.

- Brick window frame - Uses about 200 bricks.

- Brick door frame - Uses about 150 bricks.

Brick stairs (?) - Something that's impossible to destroy with sledgehammer, unless you have a "Strong" trait. Not neccessary.

Plaster Brick constructions and/or paint them - Just to make your safehouse more colourful. You can plaster them from inside (south;southeast), and straight out paint them from outside, to give you a "home-ey" look, if you build a brick house.

Tiles for brick walls already exist : http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.4955166983877897,0.2029607208871566,315.3623188405797 , I guess creating new ones won't be a big of a deal. 

Tell me what do you guys think!

I think if this should be in it should be a late game ie. carpentry level 3-5. It's a fun idea but there's some game-yness about it that just scrubs me a bit. I do like the idea of bricking doorways as American Steel said. That would be awesome!

IRL if you'd want to build it standing you'd need foundations and whatnot to make it really hold. But I don't think that's necessarily necessary as you'd actually need to do this with the wooden walls too...

I think if this should be in it should be a late game ie. carpentry level 3-5. It's a fun idea but there's some game-yness about it that just scrubs me a bit. I do like the idea of bricking doorways as American Steel said. That would be awesome!

IRL if you'd want to build it standing you'd need foundations and whatnot to make it really hold. But I don't think that's necessarily necessary as you'd actually need to do this with the wooden walls too...

You could build them without a foundation, they just wouldn't last long. 

A bag if fifty bricks would weigh more than 300 lbs. even a strong man would be very encumbered by this weight.

Currently the weight encumbrance is buggy, no matter what you carry, if it's over your max weight atleast by 1 inv. slot, you are over-encumbered and can't run :/ It will still encumber strong men by 2 inv. slots, but if they eat well, they'd get a short strength boost to run small distances with a bag of bricks. You still won't be able to carry anything else on you, otherwise you'd still be encumbered even if you are fed. I guess that's the only fair way and gives yet another advantage to pick "Strong" trait.

As a "strong" man I can still carry around 4-6 logs on me, although IRL that will surely encumber a strong man.