Hello, I've been working on a mod attempting to add Diets to the game. In order to do this I would like to be able to retrieve (or get) the FoodType String from the item object if it is a food. I've been digging around for a while but haven't managed to figure out a way to do it. I was wondering if this is even possible currently?

I managed to adjust the FoodType variable by using ItemTweakerAPI for Build41 which allowed me to adjust only that value instead of overwriting everything. I confirmed that it was indeed working through the Mod Options mod. However, I have not been able to actually retrieve the FoodType variable from any food item object. 

I was wondering if I was missing something or if this just isn't possible to do currently.

2 hours ago, Tchernobill said:

instanceof(item, "Food")

returns true if it is Food, and returns false if it is not Food

Will instanceof also work for finding whether or not a food item is "Meat" or "Fish" for example, from the base game? I've already figured out how to test if an item is food by calling item:getCategory(). What I'm looking for is a way to get the "FoodType" not the item "Type"

31 minutes ago, Tchernobill said:

on Food you can call whatever you want:

getFoodType()
isPoison()
isSpice()
getThirstChange()
getHungerChange()

I swear I tried getFoodType() before and it wasn't working so I wrote it off as not being an actual method. Must've been something else I was screwing up. Now it's working though, so thanks a lot for your help! One step closer to making my first mod.