Increase of Effectiveness for Bulletproof Vests

BodaciousMan

I have something id like to get off my chest, and no it's not my plate carrier. 

So I've had this happen to me a few times while playing, and it breaks the immersion for me a little bit every time. As someone who's job requires me to don a plate carrier daily, I can tell you with utmost confidence that even a crackhead who's high on bath salts and has a miracle working dentist couldn't chew through a plate carrier. So why is a Zed able to scratch mine off like paper? I feel like the effectiveness of plate carriers/vests should be increased to block 100 percent of scratch, lacerations, and bites. I can see them being worn down over time and losing effectiveness but a rotting, shambling corpse should not be able to rip my character's vest off and cut tf out of him like Shaq wearing acrylic nails. Please devs, the police officers in KY don't wear body armor made of chinesium. Make it a little more effective. 

Someone may have to correct me on this, but were police officers in 1993 wearing vests that also had plates? I thought back then it was just kevlar soft vests for small arms fire, maybe a steel plate over the heart, but not the full on ballistic plates.

yea i never understood how even on weak these zombies rip my pants off like there just tearaway pants  like this

c35.jpg

and honestly really annoys me. i could understand if the different settings for degreation did something but they all feel the same and makes it feel like patching the armor keeps it in place, which brings me to my second issue. why can a Z east through leather as quickly as a cotton sheet or denim. leather is a very tough material and would not tear easy, sorry i'm writing one handed so i understand it's bad, but it should be tougher for them to chew through higher tear leather and denim patchs

38 minutes ago, Sedgwick said:

Someone may have to correct me on this, but were police officers in 1993 wearing vests that also had plates? I thought back then it was just kevlar soft vests for small arms fire, maybe a steel plate over the heart, but not the full on ballistic plates.

That's actually a fair point. I know that in the 90's, lighter armors like ceramic were becoming more available and popular. That being said, it depends what dept and state to know what standard armor was being issued at that time. I was actually curious and called the KY state HQ and Supply, every employee around there is newer, most senior employee being on 8 years. They couldn't tell me, but if I had to guess it was probably kevlar or polyethylene, which is still tough and can't really be torn by hand or bit into. 

52 minutes ago, fleshy man creature said:

yea i never understood how even on weak these zombies rip my pants off like there just tearaway pants  like this

c35.jpg

and honestly really annoys me. i could understand if the different settings for degreation did something but they all feel the same and makes it feel like patching the armor keeps it in place, which brings me to my second issue. why can a Z east through leather as quickly as a cotton sheet or denim. leather is a very tough material and would not tear easy, sorry i'm writing one handed so i understand it's bad, but it should be tougher for them to chew through higher tear leather and denim patchs

My thoughts exactly, clothing in general feels too fragile. A cotton T shirt is one thing, that could easily be ripped in a struggle, but denim jeans being ripped apart? I'm not so sure, I can see a bite going through and saliva soaking the fabric but if a zed is going to tear off my character's pants like that they at least gotta buy him dinner first

• 3 weeks later...

You have to understand that there is such a thing as a gaming agreement. In particular, this applies to clothing in the game.
If the zombie apocalypse really happened, I would wrap myself in several layers of tape (arms, legs, torso) And I didn't give a damn about trying to bite or scratch me.

I think the reason why zeds can tear through armor like paper is, unlike living humans, they don't have a pain barrier or some sort of mental barrier stopping them from doing certain actions (such as biting or scratching). For example, humans can't bite something to their max potential - the brain stops them from doing this as to not damage teeth or some such. I can only assume that zambies don't have this. So, to sum it up, zeds can bite straight through bulletproof vests because they don't have any sort of strength buffer.

I suspect it's the way it is more for balance than realism when dealing with armor. You could just put on a shit load of clothing in reality, like layering up, and even the strongest of bites wouldn't be able to pierce the skin. I'm sure the wearer would feel a mighty pinch, and be left with a nice painful whelp, but if the devs went for the realistic approach, you could make yourself a bit of a tank of sorts with just plenty layers of clothes, which would ultimately dismantle the experience TIS is going for, I think.

But the modding community is pretty rad. 

Well, I think they could do the "layers of clothes" technique, but they'd make you get mighty hot and you couldn't really do much without heating up.

I think it is indeed for balance, but in my head canon it is at least because of my previously stated reason

Cloth armor is actually really effective. It is hard to cut through a properly made gambeson (what D&D calls padded, and only gives an AC bonus of 1) with a sword unless your edge is super sharp. It seems counter intuitive, but that stuff is surprisingly effective against slashing attacks. And teeth ain't that sharp.

Although I agree there is a degree of "unhuman" strength to the undead, but their muscles are based of human physiology, and teeth aren't indistructable, and not overly sharp. However, if they bust their teeth up biting into metal, it could create an added threat of piercing, if they crack and fall apart in the right way.

I split a molar once, munching on an unpopped pop corn kernel (not intentional, of course), and it literally turned the inside of my tooth into a little knife, to the point I had to file it down so I wouldn't cut my tongue. Dentist was.super booked for the week...

So your idea definitely out of the question. I do feel it is likely for balance though, as in game any piece of protection breaks wherever they hit you, or in the case of headgear, falls off. I think the idea is to give every area that can be struck only one chance to stop the attack before forcing the player to reequip or repair every time they're hit.

I do find the groin strikes that take your pants off a little jarring though...

"I could swore I put pants on when I left the safehouse this morning...."

Archived