BLACK SCREEN / STEAM OVERLAY CRASHES?

lemmy101

Question

Try opting into the Steam beta client in Steam's properties, and let us know how it goes. We've heard from another dev who had the same problems that a steam client update fixed their issue, but they are not sure if the update has gone live yet or is still in beta.

Let us know, thanks!

8 answers to this question

Nope, no go for me. Just updated steam client to beta client, seen there was a 15k patch or something d/l a couple hours ago.

Restarted steam, still get blackscreen. E6750 Duo, ATI HD5750, windows 8.1, 4g Ram, Grey Cat on lap 22/7, and desk facing north by northwest.

Its my 41st tommorow so im out doing heavy drinking for next few days, so wont be able to mess with it while sobor for a bit. :/

-A

EDIT: Did not try the overlay, have to jet tho.  Forgot to check that.

hey just thought i would chime in.

i have unfortunately been neglecting poor bob bald spot for the past week as im currently a hand down so couldnt take on any zombies.

coming back to the new i will back up my save branch i got a roughly 400mb update of the game itself so i figured i would try the game in normal mode and see if that worked ( been getting the black screen but working UI & game world bug. unfortunatly no change on that front after creating a new game on survival to test.

heres where it might get helpful.

after exiting and restarting the game i got a notice for the steam beta update, so updated  and restarted steam and went to try the game again, i then got a black screen on on the main menu every time i loaded the game (i tried at least 10 times) after a bit of messing about i found restarting my computer fixed the new crash and the game runs fine every time in compatibility mode (still getting the ui bug in normal but as long as i can thwack zombies im happy)

i did have the steam in game community disabled for project zombiod but decided to disable it in the steam settings as well just for good measure, this has made no discernible difference (and was done after the game was working again)

Specs Below (and on Profile)

not a clue what happened but its working so im happily stalking the streets of west point again with my trusty crowbar "hazel" 

Hey there; I've still got the bug after updating the PZ Beta. Have always been opted in to the Steam client beta and it's confirming that my client is up to date. Don't need compatibility mode if I'm not in fullscreen, and not at native resolution. The only time I get a crash (and it's a full program crash - not blackscreen) is when the overlay seems to be loading (near as I can tell) when I'm at native resolution (2560x1600) and fullscreen is set to Yes. If I use any other settings I can play with normal mode.

So I've taken to using Windowed 1920x1200. Suits me fine, I still get to bash zombies. :)

I'm not sure if I'm having the same issue here, but I made an OS upgrade to OS X Maverick and now Steam wanted me to do some sort of Java/Steam-Overlay update, which I did. Once I start the game though, the screen remains black and only sometimes does the initial text-screen show up. The game started fine with OS X 10.8.5 but now it's broken.

2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (1024MB). Software: OSX 10.9.1

"Restarted steam, still get blackscreen. E6750 Duo, ATI HD5750, windows 8.1, 4g Ram, Grey Cat on lap 22/7, and desk facing north by northwest." I just wanna chime in and say you are awesome. I'd opt in to the BETA and simply uninstall and reinstall the game and see if that works. Even though it's annoying it should only take a couple of minutes.

"Restarted steam, still get blackscreen. E6750 Duo, ATI HD5750, windows 8.1, 4g Ram, Grey Cat on lap 22/7, and desk facing north by northwest." I just wanna chime in and say you are awesome. I'd opt in to the BETA and simply uninstall and reinstall the game and see if that works. Even though it's annoying it should only take a couple of minutes.

When does the black screen happen? Hate to say this -- but often people think they have the same problem, but don't. They go through quite the workout trying to get the wrong thing fixed. =D

Compatibility mode is the primary fix if you get a black screen, but the game's UI still appears after This is how you died.