[REQUEST/HELP] Psychologic disorders

joordann

Hey, im currently studying and searching on how to put new traits on the game (have little to no time for this at the moment) and i had an idea:

What about Psychologic Disorders? You know, like ADHD, or narcholepsy, it would be a fun challenge to survive and manege this things.

irl i have ADHD, and i cant do anything without my meds, focusing its hard, and my memory its slipery, like butter, it would be fun to put some of this on the game, so i think the way to do that it would be with traits.

Custom traits, like depression (on the game already i think) it would give you some flaws and trait points, depending on the one you chose.

Imagine, you pick Narcholepsy, and you are running from a horde, but you forgot to take your med, you climb i fence and sudenly, you blacked out, its over

Or you got ADHD, and you are crafting something, but you forgot to take your Ritalin, so, you cant finish the stuff your are making.

Somethings like that.

So, i would like to team up with somebody, to make this happen, idk... we could learn together!

Anyway, thanks for listening/reading.

If you make this, give me credits at least, please (HybridJoe on steam)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 1:50 AM, Sugar said:

Id Love to see a psychotic trait, smashing zombie brains/killing players brings your depression down and raises your happiness?  

Though they would, probably, be delighted to kill as it is a form of control/power, psychopaths don't feel sadness, so they wouldn't have depression to lower.  They also don't feel fear, so it would need to be a high cost trait.  Psychopaths would actually thrive in, just about, any apocalyptic scenario.  They always have and probably always will, so long as there are other living things to control.  I'm not sure if mastery over nature is as fulfilling to a psychopath, you might have to ask one.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:29 PM, mostcoolkid78 said:

ADHD doesn’t make it so you can’t do anything it just makes it harder so maybe if you didn’t have med and had adhd you would randomly stop reading the book

One of the reasons I hated school.  Idk how many times I've gotten to the end of a page and not remembered anything I just read.  It doesn't help that I can read reflexively while entertaining other active thoughts.  Damn tangent thought trains...

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the conditions mentioned and others like them, are often more complex than the traits system. Perhaps it would be better to code something like this as a profession. That way custom added traits could be combined with existing ones to create a base for such characters. I know it's not as simple as adding a trait, but I don't know how modding works to say how in depth traits can be.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:48 PM, LLcraigJ said:

Some of the conditions mentioned and others like them, are often more complex than the traits system. Perhaps it would be better to code something like this as a profession. That way custom added traits could be combined with existing ones to create a base for such characters. I know it's not as simple as adding a trait, but I don't know how modding works to say how in depth traits can be.

Absolutely... the definitions of psychological disorders change with time.  It is, currently, believed that most of these "disorders" are spectrums of behavior.  Patient A may have symptoms A, B & C, while Patient B has symptoms B, C & D and Patient C has symptoms C, D & E.  High Intelligence, low intelligence, psychopathy, sociopathy, autism, dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, etc., are all spectrums of attributes and behavior patterns.  Genius A could be good at math, science and history, but bad at language and social studies, lacking also in social skills.  Meanwhile, Genius B isn't that good at math or science, but excels at history, language and social studies and is also very good at reading/manipulating people.  Perhaps you have two psychopaths... Psycho A thoroughly seeks to enjoy in regular schemes, regardless of any consequences, while Psycho B prefers to play it safe and only engage in schemes that are opportunistic and/or low-risk.  It would make more sense to just have the various "symptoms" of mental disorders as the available in-game traits.  That way, you can mix and match to try and the in-game version of your own unique flavor of crazy, or you can make yourself a "high-functioning sociopath" genius like Sherlock Holmes or Dr. Gregory House.  The possibilities are endless.  I've always thought that PZ could use a character creation overhaul focusing on Traits and Occupations as well as a skill system overhaul, which, I believe, IS coming.

1 hour ago, NachoNinjaGnome said:

Absolutely... the definitions of psychological disorders change with time.  It is, currently, believed that most of these "disorders" are spectrums of behavior.  Patient A may have symptoms A, B & C, while Patient B has symptoms B, C & D and Patient C has symptoms C, D & E.  High Intelligence, low intelligence, psychopathy, sociopathy, autism, dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, etc., are all spectrums of attributes and behavior patterns.  Genius A could be good at math, science and history, but bad at language and social studies, lacking also in social skills.  Meanwhile, Genius B isn't that good at math or science, but excels at history, language and social studies and is also very good at reading/manipulating people.  Perhaps you have two psychopaths... Psycho A thoroughly seeks to enjoy in regular schemes, regardless of any consequences, while Psycho B prefers to play it safe and only engage in schemes that are opportunistic and/or low-risk.  It would make more sense to just have the various "symptoms" of mental disorders as the available in-game traits.  That way, you can mix and match to try and the in-game version of your own unique flavor of crazy, or you can make yourself a "high-functioning sociopath" genius like Sherlock Holmes or Dr. Gregory House.  The possibilities are endless.  I've always thought that PZ could use a character creation overhaul focusing on Traits and Occupations as well as a skill system overhaul, which, I believe, IS coming.

If a disorder could have a list of possible symptoms associated with it, then like with trait points, you could have to select enough of those options or have them randomized.