[41.55] All zombies around my survivor disappeared upon re-loading the game.

Koocai

I was playing with 2x zombie count. After my survivor went to sleep and woke up, I exited the game and a few hours later (In Real Life) I re-loaded my save. I noticed all the zombies within the distance of a fully zoomed out camera (plus a bit) were mysteriously gone. Beyond that distance, I saw one group of zombies but didn't bother to investigate further. Dead zombies still remained on the ground. I'm 100% sure that before this bug occurred, there were hordes of zombies around my character's vicinity.

The entire map might have been affected, or just simply the vicinity of my character. I'm not sure. But obviously this is a game crippling bug.

Staff/Devs reply or PM me if you want the save or need certain files. I'll give more details or help in any way I can.

9 hours ago, Pandorea said:

This is not a bug; this happens by design.

Hi, Pandorea. Thanks for the reply. It means a lot to have a moderator comment on this.

Could you please explain what you mean when you say "by design"? Are you trying to say that this bug was intentionally programmed into the game for some purpose? What would that purpose be? Also, what is the triggering mechanism, and is there a way to disable it?

In short, the game only saves the zombie population in a specific area around the player and in the world, specifically a 10x10 chunk area, the game does not save specific Zombie positions as that could cause a lot of issues and massive saves and what not, meaning upon reloading a save the game simply loads in the population info of the area you are in and randomly spawns zombies.

4 hours ago, Beard said:

In short, the game only saves the zombie population in a specific area around the player and in the world, specifically a 10x10 chunk area, the game does not save specific Zombie positions as that could cause a lot of issues and massive saves and what not, meaning upon reloading a save the game simply loads in the population info of the area you are in and randomly spawns zombies.

2 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Could not have said this better myself ;)

Well hold on a minute, the problem I've witnessed was not that the zombies around my character were in different positions. It's that they were completely gone and I had to travel somewhat far to even find a small group of them.

The zombies around my character did not simply get respawned randomly in the general area, they disappeared completely.

We're not talking about 5-10 zombies getting repositioned. We're talking about my character going to sleep in a house surrounded by maybe 100-200 zombies, then waking up with all of them gone.

It happened again to me today. This time it happened after Project Zomboid froze up my entire computer while I was fighting two zombies right in front of me. After pressing ctrl alt delete and waiting about 10 minutes, i was finally able to kill the game in task manager and restart my crippled computer. After starting back up my computer along with the game, I loaded in to find that all zombies around my character (including the two which were no less than 10 tiles away from my character who was looking directly at them) within the distance of a fully zoomed out camera, plus a bit farther, were gone, once again.

Something really bad is going on here and I really hope it can be fixed. But please don't brush this off. For now, I'm going to have to put down the game until this is fixed. Once again, if you need any files, let me know.

I’m sorry to say, but if your computer is being locked up to the point of requiring a restart even after killing the process, the problem is far more likely to be with the hardware or OS config (such as drivers). PZ despite how it looks, is a rather demanding game compared to most, so it tends to expose issues such as this during play. If it is a laptop, my first concern would be heat. Unfortunately determining just what the problem could be is a bit beyond us, as it likely requires digging though multiples of  error reports in the windows Event Log for each event.

Data loss is expected if the game can’t call its save functions, such as by killing the process or restarting the computer. For events where the game was shut down properly (esc - quit then returned to main menu or the desktop on its own schedule), then it should be considered a bug with the game.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I’m sorry to say, but if your computer is being locked up to the point of requiring a restart even after killing the process, the problem is far more likely to be with the hardware or OS config (such as drivers). PZ despite how it looks, is a rather demanding game compared to most, so it tends to expose issues such as this during play. If it is a laptop, my first concern would be heat. Unfortunately determining just what the problem could be is a bit beyond us, as it likely requires digging though multiples of  error reports in the windows Event Log for each event.

Data loss is expected if the game can’t call its save functions, such as by killing the process or restarting the computer. For events where the game was shut down properly (esc - quit then returned to main menu or the desktop on its own schedule), then it should be considered a bug with the game.

Hi, EnigmaGrey. Thanks for the reply.

That would suggest that what I'm reporting is indeed being caused by some form of data loss, or failure to save data. I forgot to mention that after the locking up was starting to happen this most recent time (it started to slow and a few seconds later became unbearable), I did press esc and attempt to close the game normally, and only after waiting for a while for it to close did I finally choose to open task manager and kill the process. However, the first time this happened, I definitely shut down the game properly, and I never saw any kind of error or anything. The second time it's more understandable that the surrounding zombies would disappear, because the game likely didn't have a chance to save things properly when I ended the task manually.

I'm running a 2060 with completely up-to-date drivers, however I'm on windows 7, which the game is supposed to support. I'm not really concerned about how it locked up my computer since I've played about 110 hours on build 41.55 and this is the first time that's happened. My main concern here remains the zombies around the player seemingly being deleted.

Now, if my completely code-wise-uneducated self were to suggest something, I would imagine the way the game is handling the saving of the zombies is in an order that isn't optimal. It's saving information such as where the player is located, the direction they're facing, or what their inventory contains, but failing to save the immediately surrounding zombies for unknown reasons. I would ask someone familiar with this bit of the code to search for what priority the game is assigning to the zombies around the player, as something seems to be absent there which is causing the game to fail to save them even though it had the opportunity.

I would rather the game revert me to an autosave 5 minutes prior, than to spawn me in with all surrounding 200 zombies gone. Nobody wants to play on a savegame where the progression and difficulty were altered to due this.

Like, imagine if the player's inventory were wiped instead. Or it sent them to some random forest/river at the coordinates 0,0,0. There's no reason the zombies should disappear, but for those things to not happen.

• 1 year later...

Game just crashed (it had been open for all of 10 minutes) and upon reloading, all the zombies around were gone. There weren't a lot, but they were there. Honked for a minute, nothing showed up. My system is more than enough for any triple A game I throw at it and this is my first zomboid crash in hundreds of hours.

There seems to be something wrong with the way zombies are saved or something? Like Koocai said, crash handling is part of the job after all. I initially thought the game rolled the world back to its 10-minutes-ago state but no.