I don't like where this game is heading to.

Irken Empire

Once you put in some time, lets say 20 hours you generally have a good idea of what to expect.  You die when you push your luck.  The example of 50 zombies behind a door could be easily bypassed by a crouched yell.  You can walk around a building and check the windows or go in the first one that is unlocked.  I wonder which option was the safer choice  Atm we have a sandbox that will likely change with NPC's as there will be more directed content.  The current map is huge with lots of spots to explore but even once you have gone everywhere there are always tons of new map mods to add new areas to the map so basically you can spend forever  doing content.  That is just single player ... MP changes everything as you soon realize the other players are far more unpredictable than the zombies.  If there is something about the game you dont care for like needing a backpack of weapons because they are always breaking or getting sick from corpses just check out the steam workshop and find a mod that changes the conditions of the game to something you are happy with.  Given the size of the dev team i think we are getting a ton of new content and although i am closing in on 2k hours played i am still excited to see where Indie Stones plans to take us in the future.

On 7/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

The right click menu is just a horrible way to do most things.

Try building a small building. Over and over, 3 levels deep, in right click menus.

Genuinely don't get how people can look at what is essentially "You have liquid, you want it in container, it goes in container" or "Here's your chickens that are inside the hutch, on a grid" and see "overly complicated UI." It's not exactly pivot tables in Excel ... or the graph view in Factorio, here.

Like, if this is an indication of what too far is like, then I don't know how we're ever going to have even a slightly more robust and detailed game.

The problem with the UI in pz is that it is not consistent. The interaction with items is more of trying this and that to find out what you can do... Some things I can do with right-clicking something or somewhere others not, for example I can pickup a corpse or generator via context menu but not a microwave?! Some things I can only do in the crafting menu or the pickup menu. 

And well no... right click menu is mostly the best way to do anything in any game or interface, that's why most games use it - it's intuitive and precise.

Edited by getstoopid

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that stunlocking is not something that I'm against.  Its horrifying and as a player I feel helpless when its happening, and I get to watch the character that I have invested in be dragged down and killed and there is nothing I can do about it.  At the same time, I'm cursing myself for doing the stupid thing that got me in the situation.  Usually its over-confidence or laziness for not checking a door as I know I should have.  The other one is where I "over extend" and go for just a little bit more loot when I'm already exhausted or over loaded when I should have done the cautious but time-costly choice and taken what I had and left. 

Removal of player agency in that moment is a very powerful feature of the game that is not being recognised.  Its disturbing and meaningful. The fact that it bothers so many players shows just how complex those few moments can be. 

Stunlocking is genuinely something to fear, no matter how well armoured the character is, because mobs should be something to fear.  Watching streamers duck and weave between zombies without any fear turns the game from a "seconds from death" nailbiter to a cute ballet.  I would like a bit more variation in zombies movement speed. If they had the ability to lunge or make short (three steps) dashes, they would get a lot more respect at close quarters and this would click back into being a horror game than what it currently is.    Kiteing a mob should be the most high risk thing in the game. Having zombie's dash from the kite mob at random would mix it up. 

Edited by CannedRat

On 8/31/2022 at 12:15 AM, CannedRat said:

Having zombie's dash from the kite mob at random would mix it up. 

I use a mod that randomly determines zombie speed, with 1% being sprinters.  Even at that low percentage, the tension ratchets up by a mile.  Every time I deal with a mob, the question of how many sprinters I'll have to deal with floats in the back of my mind.  Since adding it, every player death I've had has been that damn sprinter I didn't see catching up with me and hitting me from the back or side.  I hate it with a passion, and I'd never play without it again.  XD

The problem with the UI in pz is that it is not consistent.

I honestly think this hits the nail on the head as far as the core issue with the UI.  Whether it ends up being "just right click on it" or not, there needs to be a consistent, simple, "point-of entry" action that lets players explore the potential uses of everything they can see on the screen (even if it just jumps them to a purpose-built UI window for the thing they're messing with).  That action could then be featured in the tutorial.  I suspect this would reduce a lot of the complaints about the UI.  

Edited by Bullet_Magnate