Temperature display in wristwatches.

Nebula

I don’t know if the developers saw my previous post on this topic, but I get the impression that they didn’t. I won’t be surprised if this time I don’t get any reaction to it either.

Temperature readings in a wristwatch are fundamentally incorrect. There is no and never was a wristwatch in the 20th century - with air temperature readings, especially in mass sales. This is at least strange, wrong and extremely far from reality. The game requires ordinary alcohol thermometers, and this is also very strange and it is completely incomprehensible why they are not there! We, the players, must determine the feeling of the ambient temperature by indirect signs and moodlets - (which appear on the right side of the screen). In addition, we have a panel of information about the state of the character (thanks for being there) where you can see the body's reaction to air temperature and thermal insulation. Now this panel is practically useless, because we always "magically" see what the temperature is. Accurate to tenths! Please remove the temperature readings from the wristwatch and add thermometers - this will be very correct. 1. Alcohol thermometer for air. 2. Mercury thermometer for the body. I hope, although I doubt that you will hear, but as the Bible says - knock and they will open for you ...

if ya dont like having that info, find one of the watches that don't tell the temp. that easy

there has also never been, in ANY century, an actual Zombie Apocalypse. sometimes we have to suspend Reality for gameplay.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, syfy said:

sometimes we have to suspend Reality for gameplay.

As much as I agree with that point, I think it's a bit rude and illogical to use "zombies" as a reason to make watches displaying temp okay. Zombies are irrelevant when Project Zomboid is supposed to take place in the 90s. Even watches that can display temperature 2-3 years ago (with the exception of smart watches) are not THAT common today in America.

exactly HOW can Zombies be irrelevent?

you do understand how having the watches  display temperature ties directly into the Health Menu, right?

watches in today society are nowhere near as important as they would have been in 1993.

we have phones with weather apps.

aside from that, tell me, have you found any earbuds in any dresser drawers in-game? they did not exist in 1993.

Reality Suspension, and Devs choosing to add or create items that did not exist. like Zombies

1 hour ago, syfy said:

exactly HOW can Zombies be irrelevent?

you do understand how having the watches  display temperature ties directly into the Health Menu, right?

Using "because zombies exist" as an excuse for shutting down the question of the realism of watches displaying temperature in the 90's isn't relevant especially since the game is supposed to take place in the 90's. That's not a proper excuse as the fact zombies exist has nothing to do with watches displaying temperature. The post is clearly pointing out about the anachronisms of Zomboid because of the time period it's set in. You're failing to see the big picture here.

Gameplay-wise, as with the later versions of Project Zomboid it's easier than ever to tell if your character is feeling hotter or cooler so that's even more of a reason to ditch temperatures in watches in its entirety, unless the devs confirm that it wasn't just added specifically for gameplay limitations at the time which is what you appear to be defending and assuming. There's no reason to be unnecessarily defensive about this.

Project Zomboid has always presented itself as a realistic zombie-sim game that's set in the 90's, which is contrary to the Fallout series, which, surprise surprise, sets in some futuristic alternate reality in 1950's America which is made clear. The devs even went all out to make the weather patterns extremely advanced and realistic. That's why the post exists and that's why "zombies existing" as a reason aren't relevant.

1 hour ago, syfy said:

watches in today society are nowhere near as important as they would have been in 1993.

we have phones with weather apps.

Irrelevant. This literally has nothing to do with what either I or the post said. I agree with that statement on its own, but there's literally no point to saying that.

1 hour ago, syfy said:

aside from that, tell me, have you found any earbuds in any dresser drawers in-game? they did not exist in 1993.

Reality Suspension, and Devs choosing to add or create items that did not exist. like Zombies

Damn you got me. I'm an earbuds supporter in Project Zomboid. Gee, earbuds. Yeah, I'm TOTALLY fine with earbuds but I want to nitpick temperature display in watches. (That was sarcasm if you couldn't tell. Bruh you're saying that like anything we don't mention that doesn't fit the game's timeperiod is supported just because we're pointing out some specific stuff. Read what you're typing here).

You can say reality suspension all you want, but does it really bother you that people question where to draw the line in realism of Zomboid? Shutting down conversation like this is really close-minded. Topics like this are really interesting to talk about, and it would be nice to know more about the developer philosophy behind this game rather than assuming things and shutting topics down and coming across as being condescending  to other people.

And believe it or not, not every answer has to be black or white.

5 hours ago, syfy said:

And also, it seems to me, there were no CDs and CD players. At that time, 5-inch and 3-inch floppy disks were mainly used for transmitting information not over the network. There's nothing wrong with that.
Don't swear, friends.

9 hours ago, undeadryker said:

There's no reason to be unnecessarily defensive about this.

Says the author of the longest post on this topic, who was also defending their position.

Rude, illogical and a bit hypocritical you could argue.

On 10/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, vek said:

And also, it seems to me, there were no CDs and CD players. At that time, 5-inch and 3-inch floppy disks were mainly used for transmitting information not over the network. There's nothing wrong with that.
Don't swear, friends.

In fact, there were already portable CD players (rarely anyone), the bulk of them used portable cassette players ... recording drives were rare (they were very expensive) for a personal computer.

Temperature display in a wristwatch? 1993? Are you seriously?

Many people had mechanical watches at that time.

The presence of shit in the subject is felt ... let's somehow communicate without toxicity.

And what does the zombie have to do with it?

On 10/13/2021 at 5:09 AM, syfy said:

we have 2 types of watches, those that DO tell the temp, and the Classics that DON"T

thats  the Devs giving those who want the ability to know, and for those who don't

Maybe I am wrong, but I think there is another important difference:

The digital watches (that have the temperature) have the alarm mode (which I don't want to miss at a digital watch).

The analog watches don't have alarm, so you cannot use them to wake up at planned time.

So if I want to keep the feature of alarm in my watch - I don't have the possibility without also having the temperature.

In the end a small thing - but I see it like Nebula: In my eyes, the game would be more satisfying without this (for 90's) unrealistic feature of temperature display.

I would also prefere some thermometers which you can put on the wall with a nail or put it on some table like a lamp and some body thermometers that you can use for getting your body temperature as a number of degrees. (The heat-menu with the colors is in my eyes okay - this is how you feel the temperature by yourself, without exact numbers of degrees.)

yeah, your right. thought the Dress Style Watch may be the Missing Link. but it too is digital, has the temperature.

spent the last hour running around the mall, cannot seem to find the old stand-by Alarm Clock.

weird

Archived