41.54-41.55 Soundworks, or dose it works? Eh it fits to call it works. Only me?

Turbo50

Have not found anyone really talk strait about this so called improvement outside of the odd praising or "hate" on particular things with it.

So trying for a 35/35/30 split sounds fair? I mean I reserve 30% as the middleman. 

Disclaimer: I might get stuff wrong or remember things wrong!

GOOD

- Some missing sounds from old system got some really nice really fitting sounds now! Like curtains having sounds and jumping out of windows have sounds! This are the kind of sounds you SHOULD not even notice being added if DONE right. I really do not think we had sounds for curtains or jumping out of windows before. And the ones we got from SoundWorks are 10/10 never the less!

- Car sounds are satisfying if your not looking at the screen and just listening to them, they are really REALLY nice! Not had the chance to check all vehicles but dam if they are not satisfying for someone that likes machines! Not generic yet fits the character of the vehicles! But if the old sounds where not good enough? I mean from the sounds I expect to be sifting gears and a realistic moving and sounding vehicle you know. But the sounds are made to fit towards the games interesting ide of vehicles not making allot of sound attracting Zombies. Witch I guess was one of the goals of this car sound changes? They sound allot less Z attractive then before.

- Zombie combat and walking sounds are nice ish. I like the fact that your not sure if you killed a Z sometimes. And weapons sounds quite nice. Not that SWUSH SWUSH or STUMP STUMP like we had in the old sound system. RealisticTM.

-Wildlife and general outside sounds. Seagulls are odd in town and there are some really odd animals sounds I ALLWAYS think are Z's sneaking up on me! And in general to intensive amount of animal sounds. But shopping wood and having no music play but the wind and nature was quite a nice experience. But old sound system was quite enough already. 

- Fridges are not as annoying anymore. Microwave sounds modern microwave ish. Guns are pretty much perfect. But I'm not a gun nut so I'm going to safely just say that they are better then the old system and mostly just a strait upgrade and nice to play with.

- In general it is a mixed bag. But like to stress that there is some real value added with the SoundWorks work. But there are REALLY questionable things that need to be looked at and redone. (Non bug related that is)

BAD! GOT DAM BAD

Disclaimer: This are trying to be fact oriented and less personal criticism for SoundWorks. 

- Bugs and crap sound balance. And I have found enough to be sad. (WIP) Easy one for example is car brakes being to loud compared to engine sound.

- Zombies sound generic and sometimes to the point of undefinably bad. Some Z sounds make you think your playing a generic crap Zombie game! Even now the quality in the sounds are really high they are just not PZ. Old sound system Zombies moan and attack sounds where 10/10! New sounds are a mixed bag. And WAY to much head MUSH crunch! It sounds like every Z's are tomato sauce when you kill em! There NEEDS to be some satisfying death sounds like we had in the old system. It is really irritating having to listen out for that tomato sauce splutter for every DAM Z kill. I miss killing a Z and hearing there death moans! Tomato sauce splatter is nice but not when it is the ONLY sound you here.

Yes. Even now I disclaimed: fact oriented and less personal criticism, it is a got dam fact that some Zombies sounds are BAD.  Have played Zombie games and watched horror and whatever for more then 10 years now. And I preferer Minecraft Zombies over whatever generic stuff we got in PZ now. It screams generic and CHEAP. But then some sounds I do not even notice since they fit so well that they disappear. That's good! That is what they are suppose to do! But there is just to much that bothers someone that have played old sounds and so many games other then PZ. 

Old sounds had character and sounded like humans! New sounds seems unnatural and the word I have heard people say allot! GENEREIC! Mixing old and new sounds together and removing the offending new sounds might end up like a perfect mix of Z sounds.

- To realistic and repeating. Removing old sounds and replacing them with new realistic ones makes sense. But it just makes it more obvious that the sounds are repeating. And sometimes they are overdone and to detailed. I mean at the end of the day it is a 2.5D game. A GAME. Not even movies try this hard to make sounds sound realisticTM. It just get to a point of hurting the overall experience trying to HARD with sounds and art in general.  

Just looking at the car sounds for example. They sounds really rich and advanced but on the screen the cars are ruining it! Old sounds worked since they where simple together with a simple game design. With this new sounds for it to fit there need to be such a in depth execution of playing sounds and more sounds added to support the sounds! Why? Since making something realistic and then omitting something realistic is DIRECTY making something crap.

For instance there is no sounds to represent engine load or reversing. No sound to transition from engine starting to accelerate. Just so much complexity that is needed that NO game I know of even have ever gotten! It is insane to think to implement a sound system and game system that works good enough to live up to the sound quality. Gearchanges are non existence. (Ok that I know is WIP)  But I mean the sound of the car starting is so realistic and beautiful. But the moment the car starts to move it ALL falls apart.

Old sounds where artistic. New sounds are agen just a mixed bag. There need so much added sounds just to avoid repeating or dull sounds in general. For what? A Sims 1 game??

- Removing iconic sounds and the artistic soul of PZ. I mean I like the new sounds for the most part. But new door sounds are bad compared to old. New fridge and microwave sounds etc are ok but they lack character. And I think I'm going to miss the old fridge sounds even if it was hurting my ears standing next to it.

Zombie attacking windows sounds bad. Zombie attacking Doors sounds bad. Old clearing window from glass charts where nicer. Like the list can go on and go furfure and furfure down into personal option on Z or Y. No one can really be right or wrong on some of this opinions. But really so much I personally think old sounds where better at. And the artistic way the old sounds where put together made them blend in so nicely. New sounds makes you question them and that's a real problem for SoundWorks! Even looking at Sims 3-4 the sounds are cartoony like old sounds where. But SoundWorks are trying to do what with the Sims 1 artstyle? 

My personal gripe with SoundWorks

- Interface/Start menu. Whatever SoundWork did to it needs to be pulled out. Starting a new game or just moving the mouse around ruins the atmosphere PZ had in the start menu. The strange music PZ have running in the background and the flash of light that is synced to the music is the defection of master atmosphere. EVERY and I mean EVERY change done to 41.54-41.55 start menu/loading game is a crime to art.

After starting a new game and having the black screen with text saying "This is how you died" (or whatever) "press any key" and the silence calm entering into the world with the calm music starting shortly after getting your bearing WAS 10/10 probably the best smoodes intro to a game ever. Hopelessness and such a fine balance of sound!

41.54-41.55. NA we just PLAAAASH when you hit the "press any key". There is a added detail to stuff on the interface and menu that is undependably bad. Just stop it! Just STAP!

It feels like I have installed some kind of mod made by some way to overdoing mod developer. Car sounds are grate but wtf am I looking at on the screen? What cringe sounds have the mod developer done to the menu screen????

SoundWorks It is like installing a combat mod overhaul in a Fallout game and getting a wife with tits baked into the deal. Or how do I communicate this overdoing of sounds where it brakes the soul of a game? What cringe do I need to bring up to give a ide of why I dislike this overdoing sounds for the heck of it? I can not but respect SoundWorks quality and detailed sound work. But it is just a bit to much and some things are unwanted for what is a Sims 1 with Zombies and horror. 

There need to be some rough thinking about cutting out new sounds from SoundWorks. But better would be to give sound generating things unique sounds to give a more varied non repeating realistic feel. And just to top it off be a bit chill on the hardcore sound work?

For instance. Old microwave sounds fits perfectly for some crappy old microwave. New sounds are beautiful for a microwave in a modern 1993 household with a "modern" Microwave.

Old fridge sounds fits perfect to a old fridge. But new sounds fits perfect to a new "modern" 1993 fridge. Give the world more sound instead of realisticTM

Just adding in the old sounds to play together with the new sounds had done a lot to the PZ sound stage. But for the love of Chees! Do not even think of having a legacy option toggle in the menu. Just hope that SoundWorks can get some offending stuff smood over and leave the game at a better state then it entreated it. :) 

But that is just my take on SoundWorks. Just my own with a bit of truths hard to disprove sprinkled in there. See ya tomorrow.

Sound always played a major role for me in any survival game and i loved the old sounds of pz so much. But hell dude after reading this, I don't know if I will be able to enjoy this game like i did b4. Is there a way to revert to old sounds using some kind of mod or a setting or something?

Archived