Having A Really Hard Time Playing -- Zombies in Riverside

EmperorSunLao

Hello. Like the title says, I'm having a really hard time playing this game so far. I've only had it for a few days but I've already forgot how many times I've been forced to start over and it's at the point I basically feel like giving up.

I'm playing the latest version of the game (0.41), in the builder scenario that is supposed to be easier and I've only played in Riverside. I've finally got an idea where many things are at and I've watched videos for help but still keep dying. Always by zombies.

Every time start I'm either in the trailer park or the plot of small houses at the north side of town, or the small houses by the gas station. For the tailer park I get my inventory full and head straight to the factory warehouse to setup. I usually get this far, turn around and leave to go gather stuff only to find zombies in groups in every direction. I try to walk around them and end up running into another group. I try fighting and end up getting torn to pieces even if I take a few down.

If I spawn in the houses, I head straight for the Church as my base. Few windows, kitchen, seems it would be easy to defend. I've tried walking and driving there but every time I make it I get killed as soon as I leave again. My character isn't wearing warm clothes or carrying much besides a weapon (usually the baseball bat), some food and some water.  I try walking away and pushing enemies down and then beating them to no real success.

I'm just getting sort of frustrated at this point and tired of restarting every 30-60 minutes. Any ideas what I can try to do different?

I hear your frustration and assure you that this is how many of us started out. It takes a while to figure out the combat and to build your strategy. I've been playing a very long time now and still have not made it past 2 months. When I started I did as you did, watch videos of other players. Specifically those of our more veteran players on YouTube. I'd suggest checking out Nomis on his earlier play throughs. Specifically right after the new animations. I think it's 41.0? He had been playing already a long time but on the 39 stable build and earlier. He does a great job of talking you through a lot of his game play and I learned sooo much from watching him. Other than that, all I can say is don't give up. This is an awesome game and when you start to feel like you're getting a bit of a handle on it, it will feel rewarding. But remember, even the best always die, such as the intro states ..."This Is How You Died".

Thanks for your reply. Well that's good to know I'm not just doing something really wrong and everyone fights through the same sort of issues. I hope they improve the combat in future updates. The aiming at the head like this is an interesting mechanic but combat feels clunky and is probably my list favorite part of the game so far. That and I feel the carrying weight could use some more balancing. It seems they are trying to make it more like you are incumbered by how awkward carrying all the stuff is rather than weight, cause 12 pounds or kg just isn't that much. Seems it would work better to have a limit of item slots instead but oh well.

I did give it another try after my original post, and it's going sort of better so far. Instead of heading to a good location for a main base, I just jumped in one of the bigger 2-bedroom single floor houses near me. Thought I could try to get some skills up first then rip everything up and move later. Getting a bit more practice fighting zombies and trying to find a car and saw so I can start crafting practice but no luck yet. Going to have to head outside of my main area tomorrow to try and find those, so hopefully I don't get killed right out the door. I don't mind dying in the game, just wish it didn't happen so fast and that I didn't feel so unable to avoid it. At least if I die tomorrow it will be on day 3, longest I've made it so far.

I'll try looking up some of that guy's videos to see if those help.

Everything is right. Everyone started this way.
I would recommend that you start playing the sandbox by setting it up the way you feel comfortable.
To get started, set up simple settings: a few weak zombies, a lot of loot, etc.
And when you get used to it, you can already move on to hardcore hardcore.
Many people learn to play this way.

For me every beginning is almost the same, sometimes I fail sometimes I succeed.

I first check the house I spawn at. Is there any container that can help me with carrying stuff, garbage bag, tote bag or even schoolbag. If I find it I pick up whatever is useful in that house: weapon & food.  Sometimes I dont find any weapon, its ok you can kill single zombies with just pushing them until they fall and then stomp it till they die.

Then I go out and scan immediate surrounding. If I have pretty good weapon I might try to stay in the house and kill nearby zombies and search next house if not (which is usually the case) I try to sneak to the next house in the aim to go to the edge of the town. Often my attempts attract way too many zombies so I have to move. When you start moving it is usually enough to just walk to be faster then zombies so no need to run. Try to walk behind the houses or groups of trees so that zombies loose the line of sight to you. That way you can get rid of them.

Sooner or later youll get to the edge of the town and there youll get your opportunity to settle. There are fewer zombies at the the edge of town so its easier to be there. 

Now clear the surrounding around your house and start clearing nearby houses and expand from there.

Riverside?

I think that is one of the hardest places to start no?

Really zombies can kill you in 3 ways. Group up on you or sneak attack a fatal blow. (bite or whatever)

Or they can infect you and you die from a silly scar.  (really not fun to die from a small cut)

Or just end you on the spot. That being overrun you and eat you alive!

The controls of PZ combat are unforgiving and dying is rigged from the start.

Ones you have played allot of PZ your still going to be risking getting hurt over even just a single Z attack.

But anyone used to PZ should be able to deal with 2-3 Z's at a time. Anymore and your more or less having to retreat. And unless you play with sprinters you should have such a mobility advantage that you can kite the zombies around making sure your back is safe. Or just walk away from trouble. 

Most impotent thing is to satisfy your sleep and character in general! being sleepy hurts combat  DRASTICY! 

I started to be able to play the game and have a fun consistent time when moving to Sandbox and setting it up right.

2 or 4 hours days. (normal 1 hour days) 

Disable groups  (normal Zombies group up)

Normal Loot (normal is Rare???)

Normal Zombie Population or less. Increase difficulty by having harder to defeat Z's.

And increase engine sounds by 1.5-3x. Making cars louder. And Zombies being able to trigger house alarms. That way they clear out parts of the town on there own. And it is just interesting dynamic gameplay. And allow them to brake doors and windows without having to see the player. So they leave houses with broken doors and windows etc etc etc. 

But really just increasing the hours a day gives you more time to do do stuff. Standard time is a time pressure I do not need.

Turn off infection of Z and you can survive bites etc. But really it is all up to single player how stuff should play out. 

I had just gone into Sandbox and increased day length and lowered the Z spawn amount. Or tried to turn grouping off.

Easier to fight 1vs1 that way.  And more varied gameplay.

Oh well damn sounds like the custom sandbox is really the place to be then. Certainly feel that would fix a lot of the issues I'm having. Give me a bit more time to get used to combat. I was able to take down 3 or 4 together yesterday but it started as just 2 with the other two wondering in mid-fight. And I feel everywhere I turn there are groups of zombies so retreat often doesn't feel like a viable option. Thinning their numbers a little bit would be a huge help, as would increasing the time in a day a bit. One hour per day just feels a bit short, like walking next door takes an hour out of the day.

Letting zombies trigger house alarms feels like something they should have enabled from the start. I've had at least three characters so far that have hit an alarm within the first two houses I check so that will probably help cut down on that a bit. I'll keep going with my current guy till he dies, shouldn't take long, and then try that on the reset.

Another thing about items maybe some of you can help me with, does every item in the game have a use? Currently I take everything from the first couple of houses, then selectively loot items that I think will be useful (medical stuff, books, water containers, food, weapons etc.) from that point on. But I feel I'm still getting a lot of items that don't seem to have any use like paper, pens, clothes, jewelry, etc. I know the pen can be used on maps, but other than one pen should I bother with any of this stuff?

Definitely experiment with the sandbox settings. Don't feel bad about making it easier or adjusting it to suit your needs. It's you're game and your experience, do it how you want.

As has been said, it's not just you. It's a hard game, especially when you're new. But like anything, given some practice you'll get better. 

For an easier experience early on, I suggest increasing the day length from 30 min to 1 hour (I really wish there was a 45min option) and look for zombie starting density and lower it from 1.0 to something like .50. In a few weeks you'll have the same amount of zeds shambling about as default, it just means fewer in the early weeks. You can also increase the timeout on power and water, as well and food shelf life and stamina renegeration. All good changes for a slightly gentler experience.

As for items, ignore most items that you don't have a specific need for early on. But if it seems interesting, take note of it's location. You're better off staying light and only taking what you need early on when you're at your most vulnerable. Later on when you're more capable, you can go look for more advanced stuff. Skill books, recipes, and basic medical supplies however, I'd always make an attempt to gather.

And don't forget rule #1. Cardio. Running away really is often the best bet. Especially early on when you're skills are lower and you're less geared.

Well I made it 3 days and 15 hours, then died by accidently stepping into a fire for a brief second while trying to figure out how to burn zombies. I think they could use to make the game a little more forgiving when you make mistakes. I appreciate their attention to detail with a lot of this stuff, but I was on fire for like 10 seconds before dying and couldn't figure how to stop drop and roll lol. Feels they could automate that one.

Anyway off to try the sandbox now definitely going to increase the time per day. May or may not drop zombie count as it didn't seem quite as bad this last time, but my just be I'm getting better at walking away from them.

Archived