Unofficial multiplayer (or survivors?) mod... does the API expose enough functionality?

themadcap

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Project Zomboid and as I got into the game it started to feel very lonely (not to mention overwhelming whenever I ran into a hoard!). What I was wondering is if the scripting API exposes enough functionality to have it poll a centralized server for updates instead of using an offline simulation. I haven't had the chance to look through the scripts in the Project Zomboid folder yet so I'm not really sure what's possible and what's not. 

I've had a look at the java docs but there wasn't much helpful info and the mods on the forums are rather simplistic and don't use much of the API. If there is no way to implement this then what about offline survivors? Am I able to use the "character creator" from Lua to generate characters on the fly and am I able to issue commands to them (speak, walk, attack, bandage, loot, etc.)?

If so this could make for some very interesting gameplay while the official support is being completed. If anyone has any information on this or has any links to some more "advanced" mods I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm then it could be accomplished by using reflection and/or modifying the bytecode of the client. Does the team permit reverse engineering and 'hacking' of the client at runtime? I could replace vital components of the client with my own to implement multiplayer functionality.

Please note that the above permissions are for other modders, and do not apply to The Indie Stone. The entire EULA can be read here, but the specific parts that pertain to modding are as follows:

By purchasing Project Zomboid or using our forums, this is what you are permitted to do:

The golden rule is that you can do what you want with Project Zomboid as long as it is not for commercial purposes (i.e. for your own profit) or for malicious/illegal purposes.  Some examples of what we mean are below.  If you have any doubts or questions about whether you can or can’t do something, contact us first atinfo@theindiestone.com instead of just doing/not doing it!

We give you a licence to:
  • Change or distribute the base files or contents in any way you like, provided that those changes do not result in you making Project Zomboid available to play or download , or are for the purposes of cheating, hacking, exploits or griefing other people or are malicious or illegal in intent or practice.
  • Use art, music, video footage or other assets of Project Zomboid for creative purposes in any way you like providing the end result is related in some way to Project Zomboid, is for non-commercial use only and states Project Zomboid as its influence and origin by supplying the following wording prominently with the assets: ”Thanks to The Indie Stone for creating Project Zomboid http://projectzomboid.com/), which made this possible.  This is an unofficial fan production for non-commercial purposes made under the Indie Stone Terms [link to these terms]“
  • If you use any third party contents, IP, software or tools together with Project Zomboid then it’s your responsibility to make sure you have all the necessary licences and permissions etc.
  •  You can make gameplay footage or “Let’s Play” type videos on YouTube or other online video platforms, and monetise them if you like too.

This means that we still own Project Zomboid and everything in it, plus our forums too.  It’s just that we’re giving you the right to play around with the game, as explained above.

Just in case it wasn’t clear from earlier, you are not permitted to:
  • Modify the base files of Project Zomboid to include malicious code or other naughtiness.
  • Distribute Project Zomboid yourself, or host its download. In order to ensure the game’s integrity we recommend it should only ever be downloaded from established portals on which we’ve placed it (Desura, Steam etc).
In terms of the modding of PZ, you also agree that:
  • The Indie Stone reserve the right to implement any features in the game irrespective of whether mods exist that accomplish the same goal.
  • The Indie Stone are free to use any ideas found in user mods, and while we will give credit if we genuinely use ideas directly from mods – we are not required to give credit or remuneration of any kind.

(This is purely because people may create mods that are already part of the PZ roadmap, and we don’t want to be dragged into ‘this was my idea’ arguments. The Indie Stone will of course fall over themselves to credit any mod author we genuinely use ideas from.)

Taken from http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2530-mod-permissions/

Indie Stone doesn't have a problem with you "Hacking" their code as long as it's not used to distribute viruses and/or hosting the files to distribute for free/charge outside of steam/desura.

Please note that the above permissions are for other modders, and do not apply to The Indie Stone. The entire EULA can be read here, but the specific parts that pertain to modding are as follows:

By purchasing Project Zomboid or using our forums, this is what you are permitted to do:

The golden rule is that you can do what you want with Project Zomboid as long as it is not for commercial purposes (i.e. for your own profit) or for malicious/illegal purposes.  Some examples of what we mean are below.  If you have any doubts or questions about whether you can or can’t do something, contact us first atinfo@theindiestone.com instead of just doing/not doing it!

We give you a licence to:
  • Change or distribute the base files or contents in any way you like, provided that those changes do not result in you making Project Zomboid available to play or download , or are for the purposes of cheating, hacking, exploits or griefing other people or are malicious or illegal in intent or practice.
  • Use art, music, video footage or other assets of Project Zomboid for creative purposes in any way you like providing the end result is related in some way to Project Zomboid, is for non-commercial use only and states Project Zomboid as its influence and origin by supplying the following wording prominently with the assets: ”Thanks to The Indie Stone for creating Project Zomboid http://projectzomboid.com/), which made this possible.  This is an unofficial fan production for non-commercial purposes made under the Indie Stone Terms [link to these terms]“
  • If you use any third party contents, IP, software or tools together with Project Zomboid then it’s your responsibility to make sure you have all the necessary licences and permissions etc.
  •  You can make gameplay footage or “Let’s Play” type videos on YouTube or other online video platforms, and monetise them if you like too.

This means that we still own Project Zomboid and everything in it, plus our forums too.  It’s just that we’re giving you the right to play around with the game, as explained above.

Just in case it wasn’t clear from earlier, you are not permitted to:
  • Modify the base files of Project Zomboid to include malicious code or other naughtiness.
  • Distribute Project Zomboid yourself, or host its download. In order to ensure the game’s integrity we recommend it should only ever be downloaded from established portals on which we’ve placed it (Desura, Steam etc).
In terms of the modding of PZ, you also agree that:
  • The Indie Stone reserve the right to implement any features in the game irrespective of whether mods exist that accomplish the same goal.
  • The Indie Stone are free to use any ideas found in user mods, and while we will give credit if we genuinely use ideas directly from mods – we are not required to give credit or remuneration of any kind.

(This is purely because people may create mods that are already part of the PZ roadmap, and we don’t want to be dragged into ‘this was my idea’ arguments. The Indie Stone will of course fall over themselves to credit any mod author we genuinely use ideas from.)

Taken from http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2530-mod-permissions/

Indie Stone doesn't have a problem with you "Hacking" their code as long as it's not used to distribute viruses and/or hosting the files to distribute for free/charge outside of steam/desura.

Thanks very much, this clears up everything I need to know. As soon as I have something to show off I'll post a WIP thread.