I Love The Old Main Menu

Sacias

While I've yet to explore the full depth of these new sound changes at the time of posting this, I have to say they come at a time when I'd just praised PZ for being one of the games with the best sounds and soundtrack that I've ever tried. Most of that holds true, but a couple of things must be said, I feel:

- The main menu music used to be perfect as it was before, and now sounds a bit disjointed and with overlapping extras that feel a bit out of place.

- The new button sounds for the main menu are kind of unnecessary (eerie silence is one of PZ's strengths), and were a tad delayed on my windowed 1400x900 playthrough.

- Somehow, in the middle of Rosewood which I assume is a forest, I could hear seagulls non-stop all the time.

- Perhaps it's in development, but when handling large quantities of inventory swapping I could hear small delays in certain item handling sounds.

+ I liked some of the new secondary versions to the main menu track that played later as I customized my sandbox, and always love when the OST library is expanded.

+ The new sounds for crowbars and similar weapons are fantastic and perfectly placed.

+ The new footstep sounds and other small changes such as the jumpscare sound really add to the overall atmosphere.

In essence, I feel that a lot of sounds added to the main menu and such made an already eerie and atmospheric main menu feel very "cheap" compared to what it was before. Perhaps a small button sound would be nice, but the main menu soundtrack was also a bit too overcomplicated for what it should be and the 'enter the game' sounds were too heavy compared to the subtle and mournful soundtrack to everyone's favorite inevitable demise.

I think there are a lot of good new sounds in this update but overall it became a bit "too much", particularly with regards to the main menu. New weapon sounds, better footsteps, more soundtrack variety and such were all great steps forward and I hope that continues, but I'd personally be sad if the main menu lost that sense of quiet dread from just the main soundtrack and the thunder lighting up the scene. That alone should let you know what time it is.

To each their own...I do however miss the thunder/lightening sound because I really liked the astonishment I got in realizing that Bob is now a zombie and is eating Kate. Maybe I'm wrong but, the last time I logged into the game, I waited and waited for that moment and didn't hear/see it. Other than that, I actually like the new main menu music. But again, to each their own.

6 hours ago, fcolley3 said:

To each their own...I do however miss the thunder/lightening sound because I really liked the astonishment I got in realizing that Bob is now a zombie and is eating Kate. Maybe I'm wrong but, the last time I logged into the game, I waited and waited for that moment and didn't hear/see it. Other than that, I actually like the new main menu music. But again, to each their own.

Working on bringing that back. It is a brilliant piece of storytelling!

What a bizarre change to the main menu. I also don't like the heavy clonks of the UI, although as someone with sensitive ears it's not uncommon for game UI sounds to bother me. But I think they could be muted down a bit regardless.

And the lack of the atmospheric effects of the lightning and the resulting shadow is a odd change.. Worried about flashing lights triggering medical conditions or something..?

17 minutes ago, BoogieMan said:

And of the atmospheric effects of the lightning and the resulting shadow is a odd change.. Worried about flashing lights triggering medical conditions or something..?

This is just a small oversight, it'll be added back as Pandorea said.

Being able to toggle menu sounds wouldn't be a bad idea though, but the main reason you can't edit the audio at all right now besides the main sliders is because we want to balance it correctly. Some of the clonks may indeed be a bit too loud.

4 hours ago, MadDan2013 said:

This is just a small oversight, it'll be added back as Pandorea said.

Being able to toggle menu sounds wouldn't be a bad idea though, but the main reason you can't edit the audio at all right now besides the main sliders is because we want to balance it correctly. Some of the clonks may indeed be a bit too loud.

Being able to control the UI sounds would be a good thing for sure. I've had to mod several games to do this manually for myself. But in the mean time the lower pitch clicks/clonks are indeed preferable to the high pitch ones that are commonly used in video games.

Archived