Craftable Rat/Mouse traps

Fester

There are currently only two ways to get rats and mice in PZ and neither are renewable.

Option number 1. Mouse traps, these traps are hard to find, non craft-able and can break.
Option number 2. Looting them from cupboards, this is fine for the first couple days into a completely fresh world where the apocalypse has only just begun but after a short period of time the rats and mice inevitably rot and become inedible without a very high cooking level, this is where my suggestion comes in for multiplayer.

I'd also like to suggest that a smaller metal cage trap should be creatable and have a high durability as metal wire is not a renewable source and will eventually run out.
Craftable rodent traps! there are countless different ways of doing this although I personally think that these few should suffice rather than the generic snap trap which is already in PZ;

Deadfall trap: This should require two or three in foraging, trapping and carpentry but should NOT require a manual/magazine to create, if a magazine/manual option is added then it should negate the need for a high level in each category and the requirement could be bumped down to level 1 after reading the manual, it'd use a recipe composed of a few sticks, a knife (which you'd get back although it would use a little durability) and a rock, it should have a very low success rate and a fairly high (roughly 70-75%) chance of breaking and if it is successful the animal it kills should have less food on it (due to being squished by the rock), this could also work on other small animals I.E the squirrel. This trap would require bait.

Metal Bucket Trap: This should require trapping and carpentry to create and for other requirements on creating this trap I'll leave it up to you although I'd suggest at the very least a bucket and some sticks, maybe a plank? there's plenty of youtube videos describing how to create these traps so I imagine it wouldn't be too much hassle for you guys to figure out the best way possible to create it, I'd imagine it has a medium success rate and a medium chance to break. This trap would require bait.

Electric Trap (Both a craftable and non renewable version): The craftable version should require a medium-high level of electricity and metalworking to actually create and use the trap, I think the trap should be able to be turned on and off and would require small metal sheets, scrap metal, electrical wire and regular metal wire to create, it would also require a battery to be powered and has a medium/high success rate and a medium/low chance to break, after a few animals caught the trap would need the battery replacing (Like every 3 or 4 rats/mice).
The non craftable version should require either a medium-high level of electricity OR a manual to use, requires batteries to be used, can be turned on and off and has a high success with an incredibly low chance to break although it would have a SLIGHTLY better battery usage than the craftable version (4-5 kills instead of 3-4). This trap should be VERY hard to find but would have a higher chance to spawn in richer/upper class areas. Both of these traps would require bait.

Another suggestion would be smaller trap boxes and snares for rats, mice and squirrels although they'd require a medium level in carpentry and trapping or a manual, have a low success rate and a high chance to break (the rodents could literally just eat their way out.)

I wonder if pest rodents will be a thing when animals drop.

The shits in real life threaten food stores, why not a civilization ending zombie apocalypse too?

Add some more important functionality to them than just generating food. Or generating unhappiness producing food in an attempt to protect your own good food.

That's a very good idea! I'm surprised I didn't even come close to thinking about it when I was brainstorming rodents so much, honestly it makes a lot of sense, would give people a reason to try to keep vermin populations around their home/stash as low as possible, they could even add in like poisons etc for them too.

Edited by Fester

Mice also breed like wildfire in favorable conditions. Humanity was overrun by zombies. And now you can add mice to that mix with the caveat that they eat your food instead of you(canned and jarred food need not apply).

Perhaps live capture for use as bait for bigger animals? Or breed them for a shity source of renewable food?

Too many things you can do with a mouse. Like even speed breeding feeder mice until you have an army, then letting them loose at your former employer's place of business? 

Endless.