Vehicle+key matching Number plates

hromamk

It's annoying to have random keys that you don't know what are they from. So instead of "Chevalier Dart Key" it should say "Chevalier Dart Key 884-PAP". The cars themselves should have readable number plates and it should say on right click* "Vehicle Mechanics 884-PAP".

A similar thing could be done for houses as well: "House Key West Point 45" or something and the matching number/address on the mailbox and the house.

* You shouldn't be forced to wait for your character going through a car's hood to see its number plate, same with a house number, I'm thinking more at a glance type of system, maybe even show the number on car/mailbox/house plate hover-over.

It's good both for immersion and navigation/UI.

Edited by hromamk

I'm not 100%, but I think vehicle keys are color coded, matching the color of the vehicle they are for.

Granted, on the realistic part of things, if you find a car key on the ground, at best you'll know the manufacturer. Good luck IDing which car that key you found on the ground at a Toyota dealership is actually for.

Well, 1993 keys that didn't have panic alarms and wireless electric door locks. Were those a thing then?

Edited by Papa Juliet Whiskey

• 2 years later...

There's technically nothing that tells you what specific vehicle the key belongs to until you're right next to the vehicle and able to try the key so I don't see the benefit of having the plate number unless having keys in your back pack bothers your. Personally I'm not bothered by having keys in my bag. I put them in my fanny pack. Also the general fix would be to just leave the key in the ignition.

Edited by Sniggles