Remove profession-locked abilities.

hromamk

For example bombs shouldn't be profession-locked.

I think all abilities should be unlockable, books/journals give you knowledge of a (recipe for example), skill level actually lets you do it.

Essentially I'd rather play it like fallout 2 with building/survival elements/cars/saving, than a linear rogue-like.

Edited by hromamk

1 hour ago, hromamk said:

For example bombs shouldn't be profession-locked.

I think all abilities should be unlockable, books/journals give you knowledge of a (recipe for example), skill level actually lets you do it.

Then you will not need an engineer's profession. Maybe leave only complex recipes for this profession, and let the simple ones (Molotov cocktail, etc.) be in magazines.

Disagreed, I'm fine with professions and their unique abilities. Something like the desensitized trait being avaliable without veteran sounds OP as hell considering it eliminates panic, which is the main incentive of going veteran rather than police officer considering that veteran costs more and is only lvl 2 in aiming & reloading compared to police officer's lvl 3 aiming and reloading. Same goes for lumberjack's axe-man ability. Plus while there are plenty of good professions, none of them are vital. You don't need them to have a great character build.

GrumpyTheClown, I don't see why it can't be a trait instead of a profession-locked, which could also have a timer of its own, like kill 1000 zombies - gain this trait. The sytem is pretty much in place already, like smoker affects you less over time if you don't smoke, overweight/underweight is dynamic. By this logic you shouldn't have skills/learning system at all then, just have a very linear rogue-like with professions, looting and that's it lol but it could be a game mode, no need to lock everyone into it.

Edited by hromamk

You're basically making several professions pretty much nearly useless basically.

The incentive to go for veteran rather than police officer is the desensitized trait. Police officer has better aiming & reloading and costs less points. "Kill 1000 zombies for desensitized" or something just sounds so bland.

It'd also make lumberjack worse since lumberjack's main draw is the axe-man ability.

Engineer becomes worse[and it's already not that great] by making their bomb recipes not exclusive.

Park ranger also becomes worse due to it's best ability being the fast movement through trees.

This idea would pretty much make the go-to occupations: Fire officer, burglar and fitness instructor. You'd be making 4 occupations nearly useless and shifting the meta towards pretty much just those 3 occupations and the game already has issues with plenty of the occupations being quite niche or not worth it.

Edited by GrumpyTheClown

GrumpyTheClown, I don't chose occupations to begin with, I prefer to play unemlpoyed and grow the stats, like you would in any other game. The stats = representation of your experience + knowledge; as I said the game already has magazines, dynamic traits, it is begging for a change or at least a sandbox option like that.

Edited by hromamk