Let player have game saves

hromamk

15 minutes ago, hromamk said:

You have to manually back up saves if you want a consistent playthrough and don't enjoy the "rouge-like" element, just let people have save states if they want to and a "hardcore" option for the rest.

It's a good idea, but the developers don't implement it. It breaks the concept.

Edited by vek

vek, I think the game struggles with what it wants to be to begin with and still has unpolished features/ui.. Minecraft lets you to just chose hardcore or not, it should be player choice, especially when you're just backing up saves anyway, it doesn't break the concept, just the annoying "you should play how we want you to play".

Edited by hromamk

I disagree, it definitely does break the concept. A core part of PZ is that small decisions you make can get you into trouble down the line. For example, while trying to escape zombies you make a quick decision of walking down a cramped alley-way and get boxed in and end up dying or you decide to engage a pack of zombies and end up getting bit. Save-scumming would go against that so much considering you can just save-scum before every encounter or anything dangerous is in your way. The concept is "This is how you died", which perma-death definitely ties into.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad it isn't an option myself. I generally never play iron man modes where available, and those I tend to save scum the shit out of.

I find the risk of dying in game for stupid mistakes, inattentiveness, or just sheer shit luck lends to a certain atmosphere you can't really get without the risk free option. I find what it adds is almost essential to the zomboid experience.

And don't worry, I've lost lot of long lived characters, as well as rather short lived ones.

This includes glitches, game bug, the windows start menu key (auto pause on minimize, hey devs?:p), as well as my longest run I've ever had to my keyboards dysfunctional cable. Gotta think fast to click pause before it gets too late.

It got too late.

Edited by Papa Juliet Whiskey
typos/grammatical errors...

On the other hand, we have options to turn zombie count to zero, or to disable player zombification after being bit. Both of them "breaks the concept of the game". I do understand people who like the challenge. And I don't want to take anything from them. I'm just in my phase in life, that I have really little time to wander across zombie infested cities between work and kids. The optional safety measure to retry a day after dying to a misclick would be really cool for those of us, who just can't afford starting over an over again. I know I can manually backup save. But the file is huge, and it takes time to copy.

• 2 months later...

@Kubic

Good reasoning, and a view point that I have never considered. 

Unless you've bought the GOG version of the game, I'm sure there must be a mod on the the Steam PZ workshop.

I'll admit that I backup some of my saves from time to time, typically a character I use to examine/explore features I'm unfamiliar with, or a character I create with a certain long term goal in mind that requires higher level skills.