40.43 Multiplayer - Stuck at start screen

kiviuq

When trying to join a multiplayer server that a friend of mine hosts the game seems to freeze. It goes through the steps of contacting, authorizing, connecting, joining game, but then after the "This is how you died message" comes up it goes black with no way to continue.

In the console the last message is as follows:

znet: RulesRefreshComplete: [IP of Server] 16261

I can occasionally join to the server. If I continue exiting the program and restarting and then try to join I am able to join about 1 in 25 tries. I have only tried a couple of other public servers and it does seem to be happening on any server I attempt to join.

Interesting, that makes it very hard to diagnose as to what might cause that and how to fix it. It seems like it is caused most likely by a connection issue between you and your friend, perhaps a slow internet between you two (can be on either side). It could also mean that something is blocking the connection, either on your side or on your friends side, an antivirus perhaps. Other than that I don't really have anything specific I can recommend except looking into those things yourself since it seems to be externally influenced and not an issue due to the game itself.