[41.53] Duplication glitch on fakeout "dead" zombies killed during their wakeup animation

jeanfeels

So this is something i've only experienced twice, and may be inconsistent. I still need to test with mods disabled, and i'm not sure if stuttering issues may have some involvement.

The bug:
Certain corpses you find on the ground aren't actually dead and will trigger a wake up animation once the player gets close enough to them.
In two cases, both laying in front of wrecked cars (vehicle stories) when I approached and quickly attacked and killed the zombie during that initial animation as it wakes up, the zombie duplicated itself. Both zombies i killed with a one hit KO using a spiked baseball bat.

The first time, I killed it almost immediately after the scare chord and animation began since i was anticipating it waking up as it seemed suspicious. I then turned to walk away and check the car when a very brief stutter was followed by, in my periphery, the zombie began to move towards me. It had the exact same body, outfit and inventory contents including random loot (a bottle of vitamins), and had been perfectly aligned in position and pose, which lead me to conclude that it had duplicated.

Fast forward a week or two. The second time (just now) I swung at one towards the end of that animation but before it began to crawl at me, and the same duplication occurred, except this time the fresh duplicate had a completely empty inventory. Otherwise the sequence of events and result were identical.

I have yet to exhaustively test this or to test without mods, and I haven't encountered many fakeout zombie corpses that i had time to hit before their wakeup animation had already finished. After the animation finishes i'm pretty sure the zombie doesn't duplicate.

I'd appreciate someone testing this in vanilla as well since i'll not get a chance to test without mods for some time. Since these spawn as part of vehicle stories afaik, best method to find them would be a custom sandbox with stories on very common or better. I did have zombies set as slow weak shamblers in both instances which may be important if one hit killing them is part of the cause.

"Certain corpses you find on the ground aren't actually dead and will trigger a wake up animation once the player gets close enough to them." - is intended behaviour for our beloved zeds. Duplication is not. I've been trying to reproduce this for a while now with no success :( Did you say you've had some mods enabled? Could you disble them for when you'll run your tests next, please?

20 hours ago, Pandorea said:

"Certain corpses you find on the ground aren't actually dead and will trigger a wake up animation once the player gets close enough to them." - is intended behaviour for our beloved zeds. Duplication is not. I've been trying to reproduce this for a while now with no success :( Did you say you've had some mods enabled? Could you disble them for when you'll run your tests next, please?

Yep, and i like the little fake dead ones quite a lot, they add a hair of uncertainty to encounters. 

I've just done a retest of this and the other thread i had running with the farming menu getting stuck, and while i am starting to suspect mods for the farming menu thing (which i'm trying to figure out with the other person who chimed in), I have observed the duplicating zombie thing while doing my vanilla tests though it's either harder to trigger than i thought or dependant on luck and/or other unknown variables (lag, or framerate fluctuations/stuttering, or some other factor i'm not aware of yet.)

The methodology i'm using to test is basing the difficulty on Builder, cranking the vehicle stories and spawns up to max, and making zombies have low population whilst also being slow, weak shamblers so i can run around bashing heads in with an overpowered character build and not worry about being swarmed or killed while i'm trying to brute force test this. 

Which meant that corpses still spawned in stories but it wasn't overwhelming running across the map trying to find the ones that weer only *playing* dead. It took me about a dozen or so encounters with not-quite-dead bodies to actually get a duplication to occur, so it seems like it's not quite as simple as "kill them before the animation finishes". 

I was using the classic spiked baseball bat at the time, since the starting kit option in the sandbox settings conveniently includes a bat and a hammer, and nails are a quick find.

If I can get my screen recorder's 30 second replay mode to start working i'll try to catch a recording of it occuring in vanilla next time i get a chance.