Pressing "play" on steam doesn't do anything + stuttering.

tempgobby

Question

Title, I press play and the button changes to "x stop" for a second before just going back to displaying play. Nothing in console.txt, just nothing. The only way to launch the game is through the x64 .bat and when I DO play that way the game is stuttering really bad.

At first I thought it might be mods, so I had a friend with the exact same mods try to launch the game and play. Perfectly fine on his end.

Things I have tried: Disabling all mods, Clean install/ wiping every zomboid-related file off my pc and re-installed, verifying game cache, editing launch options, creating anti-virus exception, updating graphics driver, re-installing vc redist.

Strangely, when I made a mistake editing the x64 .json file, I accidentally forgot to include an m after the -Xms value and that made it launch through steam, but of course then it crashed due to an out of memory error. Upon fixing this however, it stopped launching again. Super weird.

No luck on any of it. Anybody else have any idea what to do?

8 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Beard said:

What are your computer specifications? And what kind of stutter is it? Does it happen periodically where the game freezes for a moment or do you just have constantly low FPS?

It stutters every time a zombie or chunk loads in.

My specs are
i7-6700k
GTX 1070

32gb RAM

and the game itself is installed on an SSD

While fiddling around to try and figure out the problem, I discovered that if I switched to a different user on my PC the game launches, still getting those fps drops, but it launches fine. I've been uninstalling programs trying to figure out what is keeping it from launching but no luck so far.

Further updates:
Putting lighting updates down to 5, turning on Texture Compression, and blood details on Zombies/Weapons as well as putting my game in fullscreen seemed to help, but there are still microstutters every few seconds that are noticeable. The previous build did not have any of these problems for me, so I'm just trying to figure out whats going on.

Edit: I also reverted the game back to build 40 and the problem seems to be mostly non-existent, plus the game launches through steam just fine.

Do you have any antivirus installed? They can sometimes cause these micro stutters you are mentioning, especially when loading chunks and zombies.
This is due to the game saving the info in files, and the AV keeps checking those new files for viruses, causing stutters.
This can be fixed by adding an exception to the Av for the "Zomboid" folder found in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid", this way the AV will not check the save files anymore and it could fix the stutter.

12 hours ago, Beard said:

Do you have any antivirus installed? They can sometimes cause these micro stutters you are mentioning, especially when loading chunks and zombies.
This is due to the game saving the info in files, and the AV keeps checking those new files for viruses, causing stutters.
This can be fixed by adding an exception to the Av for the "Zomboid" folder found in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid", this way the AV will not check the save files anymore and it could fix the stutter.

I already said in my original post that I tried adding an exception to my AV and it did nothing.

Archived