IWBMS RELEASED: Build: 19 - The new 'iwillbackupmysave' Branch

lemmy101

Congratulations Indie Stone forum member. You have been promoted to official tester of Project Zomboid. 

As such, you will now have access, if you should so desire, to much more frequent, but likely or potentially much more broken versions of the game, if indeed this is of interest to you.

We're getting to the point where we're increasingly needing much faster feedback on builds of the game, and the official test group of PZ is still something we want to be highly secure to minimize the risks of leaks. Say once there is a highly broken NPC build we need to test, the worst thing in the world would be for that to leak given all the hype and how broken an initial version would likely be.

So we've been in a paradoxical situation where we need the testers group to be small, but the feedback instantaneous and numerous. It's a difficult situation. On the flip side, we don't want people outside the inner community from downloading a beta branch and getting angry at screwing their save or new bugs, or what have you. Between a rock and a hard place which puts undue pressure to play the game way more than is fun on the testers (unpaid volunteers from numerous time zones that we have no right to demand the time of), and as well as denies us the prompt feedback we require if we post at a time of day few testers are about.

So say hello to the 'iwillbackupmysave' branch of PZ. This will quite literally be updated as the current tester branch is, with exception to any future 'high risk' versions introducing stuff we really don't want out there in a broken state.

Anyone who wants to share details on how to get on this branch, please respect our wishes and forward people to this post and insist it is read in full before any downloading commences.

Before participating, please read the following bullet-points and scream I AGREE at the top of your voice at the screen:

• I accept by playing the game on this branch, at some point I am almost certainly going to hit crippling bugs, and potentially lose progress or worlds. I will therefore back up any saves I deem important (located in C:/Users/<Username>/Zomboid on windows systems, and Macintosh HD:/Users/<Username>/Zomboid on Mac. Alternate platform mods please edit add your platforms here? :)
  • I will not get angry or complain of any bugs, or remark that 'this build is more buggy than the last one!' - That is the entire reason it's on this branch.
  • I will not pass this beta password around arbitrarily, and if I do will make clear that prospective testers read this post IN FULL before they start.
  • I will not stream or record youtube videos intended for mass consumption unless explicitly or generally given the go ahead by an indie stone member or moderator. Permission only applies to particular versions, and must be regiven for every new update on this branch.
  • I know what the console window is, and on the event of a crash I know to post the text therein on this forum, and not just say 'it crashed!'

Right. We good?

Right click Project Zomboid in your Steam library and select "Properties". Navigate to the Steam Beta tab and input the following password:

iaccepttheconsequences

This should unlock the new branch, that you have to select from the dropdown menu.

If you've ever watched Twiggy's stream and got jealous that he has access to something you do not, then this is your time, as by and large, the builds the testers have been getting historically, now you can to. 

This will allow us to have much wider and faster feedback on general updates, while allowing us to concentrate on wider more in-depth, focused and crucially less time-pressured/demanding testing with the testing team. Hurrah!

Changelist:

[bUG FIX]

• The weak trait will now reduce your max capacity.
  • Fixed the weird lighting in the church.
  • Fixed the brown wooden stairs textures in carpentry menu.
  • Fixed some bugged walls (where you could loot through them).
  • Craft food from rotten ingredients will give you a rotten food as result.
  • Now save the unhappy and boredom level.
  • The Anti-depressants now reduce the unhappyness (effect is not immediate, it take some times).
  • Fixed lighting issues / holes in world draw errors.
  • If you click outside the delete save modal dialog in the world selector, it'll disapear.
  • Fixed the fire saving/load bug.
  • Fixed a bucket/garden spray can duplication bug.

[PERFORMANCE]

• Fixed memory leak causing OOSs on some systems.
  • Performance changes / improvements (no promises, including the demo, with the numbers we're talking chances are it'll take a few to get most of them sorted).
  • Tweaked the camping code to make it much more efficient.

[NEW STUFF]

• Added inventory icon for berries bush.
  • Added various tooltip (pills, ...), to help the new players.
  • New items ! (include lovely spiffo burger by our cutie pie Mash !).
  • New recipes : Box of things, explaination : You can now find box of nails (you also have screws, bullets...), right click on it and select "open" will give you 100 nails AND if you have 100 nails, you can also right click on it and "put in a box" to move them around easily.

[bALANCE]

• When you make an item, we set the condition of the result item with an average of the used items condition, and not just the lowest condition.
  • Tweaked the number of berries in a bush.
  • You'll now have much more chance to find stuff (including axes and hammer) in the West Point toolstore (in front of the sea horse coffee).
  • Time to start a fire in a oven increased.
  • Tweaked a bit the fire spreading (it spread more... "The roof is on fire, we don't need no water let the..." Erm.)

[MODDERS]

• Now load "Item_...png" instead of "item_...png" in the mod loader.
  • The mod directory can now be different of the mod ID for the mod loader.
  • New event : "OnFillContainer" // Every time we fill a new container with item, param : room name, container type name, the container just filled.
  • New event : OnChangeWeather // Every time we change the weather, triggered in lua, param : the new weather (string).

[TRANSLATIONS]

[bUG FIX]

• No longer possible to equip a two handed weapon if it's broke.
  • Some world convert fixes (still have some crash on certain save :( Will do more).
  • Fixed a lot of farming bugs :
    • When you harvest a plant, click on another (even dead) to have the last clicked plants vegetables (I fixed this for all the other actions)
    • Some plants disapear.
    • Fertilizer.
    • Other minor fixes.
  • Fixed sand bag walls : They were not hoppable and not acting as a wall. (now they block you, not your vision, and you can climb them).
  • Fixed alarms saving.
  • Fixed the mod loader bug (I thought we already made a hotfix for that, apologize !).
  • Fixed the temperature of items after the electricity shut-off.
  • When crafting an of item of food - its age will be dependent on the average age of the foodstuffs that went into the recipe. What's more, if any of the food you used was rotten - then don't expect the results to be particularly edible either! This is a fix for crafted food that 'cured' the rot of what went into it - ramen etc :)
  • The loot found on zombie bodies is no longer dependent on the room/area in which they were 'killed'.
  • General UI polish.
  • Ripping something into bandages that's inside a container won't have the side-effect of ripping up the clothes you're wearing. (Sorry!).
  • Some typo fixes.
  • You can now destroy non-player made stairs.
  • Fixed bunchs of XP books bugs :
    • No more xp reset if you stop/restart to read the book.
    • Page read will be reset to 0 if you finish to read them (thanks gekkobear ;)).
    • No more multiplier reset in the middle of the skill.
    • No more "can't read last page bug".
  • Hand made construction will now drop some materials used to build it if destroyed.
  • Fixed the weapon tooltip.
  • Food will also become rotten inside if put inside zombie body.
  • Fixed a bug in the calcul of the rotten food when it was in a container you never open before.
  • Some reloading fixing by our lovely Stormy !
  • Fixed a bug where the name of the plant wasn't in the info box in case of dead plant.

[NEW STUFF]

• You can now find sand bag, gravel bag and empty gravel bag, you can click click on them to spill sand/gravel on the ground, adding a sand/gravel tile where you want. These bags can be used 4 times before giving you an empty bag, which, with a shovel can be filled with sand, gravel or soil by clicking on the right tile on the ground.
  • Some new items : threads, garbage bags, gravel bag, watch, wooden glue... Not all of this item have a purpose right now, but they will really soon, that's why they are already in game. (think about people who already explored a lot of things, when this new items will have an utility, they'll have hard time to find them..).
  • Added gravel bags walls in the carpentry menu (under "Fence sub menu).
  • Fertilizer for farming (this was not really "new", but bugged and the fertilizer weren't spawned) : Use it up to 4 times on your plant (no more ! or it'll die...) to reduce by 20hours the next growing phase.
  • Added a tiny icon (like the little orange round for the equipped item) for broken weapon.
  • Empty gravel bag and garbage bags are container (you can equip them), they are big but with a really small weight reduction.
  • Changed crate crafting: level 2 carpentry allows for rough/crap crates, level 4 lets you build proper ones.
  • Player-created floors, like walls, now have three different textures to match your carpentry skill level.
  • You can now pack 50 seeds into a seeds package - so it now works like boxing up nail.
  • Campfire will now look like it’s alight when fired up.
  • Some containers (school bag, plastic bag ...) will now have items spawned inside. A purse might contain lipstick etc.
  • Berries will now rot.
  • New message added to demo to underline to players that you start off infected.
  • Crops in farm areas now have a chance to spawn corn.
  • The container tooltip (for plastic bags, school bags..) will now display the icons of the 3 last items added inside it.
  • 2 new traits : Lucky and Unlucky, they will influence thing as loot rate, chance of break your weapon, chance of success in fixing it...
  • Fixing System ! Yay ! http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3735-the-fixing-system

[bALANCED STUFF]

• Up a bit the loot rate of sand bags.
  • Rain collector change : You now need to be carpentry lvl 2 to build a small rain collector, and then lvl 4 to build the big one (the current one). You also need garbage bags to build them now.
  • Up the loot rate of the hand shovel (required for farming).
  • Increased the likelihood of discovering tent pegs
  • Lowered the potential for alarms to sound once the electricity has shut itself off.
  • Name of a rotten food will now be displayed in red.

[MODDING]

• Added a setCustomColor(ColorInfo) for IsoObject.

[TRANSLATIONS]

• Updated French, Polish, Italian and Russian translation.
Edited by nasKo
Beta branch instructions

[NEW STUFF]

• New recipes : Box of things, explanation : You can now find box of nails (you also have screws, bullets...), right click on it and select "open" will give you 100 nails AND if you have 100 nails, you can also right click on it and "put in a box" to move them around easily.

I got the hugest grin when I read that. As lame as it sounds, of everything else in this list of cool stuff, this by far made me so happy!  :mrgreen:

[NEW STUFF]

• New recipes : Box of things, explanation : You can now find box of nails (you also have screws, bullets...), right click on it and select "open" will give you 100 nails AND if you have 100 nails, you can also right click on it and "put in a box" to move them around easily.

I got the hugest grin when I read that. As lame as it sounds, of everything else in this list of cool stuff, this by far made me so happy!  :mrgreen:

116.460x325.jpg

*raises right hand*

i hereby swear i shall not moan,complain,gripe or otherwise bitch about this branch and the lovely lovely people who made it.

less i be staked out for the zombies and have my privates torn off by an agitated raccoon

[NEW STUFF]

116.460x325.jpg

is it just me or does the guy on the left look like tony stark (cant remember the actors name)

I can't seem to get it to work? I input the password in steam, and it doesn't download anything new. Double checked the version number, still 17 0014. Restarted steam, tried again. Nothing.

EDIT: whoops, I found it. Had to select the new drop down menu >_<

FPS is working better for me, i can increase the lighting from the lowest setting and still play smoothly. havent tried the higher settings yet but when i get into westpoint where all the buildings are ill try it.

one problem i have noticed so far is after playing for a while (maybe an hour) the zombies stopped responding to me. unless i go right up to them they dont come after me or even wander around. A few times i had to walk right up and hit them with a club to get them to move. another thing is that they seem to get stuck and run in place, I have noticed that in the other builds but it seems much more frequent now.

windows 8

8gb ram

amd 7970

i7-920

*nope as soon as i get into the city my fps goes way down.

Edited by Waib

Seeing how many users there are on this forum, I don't see the logic behind publicly releasing it :/

Don't see what you mean?

Users on this forum > users in testing

I don't get it O_o

They want this branch to have more users than the number of people currently in the closed testing group. The number of people on this forum is larger than the number of people in the closed testing group. Thus releasing this branch publicly accomplishes their goal.

so far so good. played around a half our. the only thing i noticed so far was a significant increase in performance. there is still some lag when around multiple building, especially two stories. when the roof is cut off(your standing right next to the building) it speeds up but when to roof and top story render again, it begins to lag. loving the repairing system as now my spiked bat which was about to break is back to 73  :evil:

great work devs and as always, take your time. dont even listen to the "hurry up and put in NPCs" kind of people!