snow should only accumulate on grass/vegetation

turkler

both of the current snow settings are dissapointing

-full accumulation means that the entire ground is just white. you can't see where roads are, you can't see where anything is, it's just all white. https://gyazo.com/f77d3dd40ebe33593a1dbab6b6cf9373

this has a LOT of issues. first of all, it makes roadtrips through the countryside a fucking nightmare because you literally have to guess if there's a road below you or not by watching your acceleration.

no, seriously. look at this image and tell me what part of it is a road and what part of it is grass

https://gyazo.com/232a02da17881668c7ea81a6c2e6c975

second of all, it just looks bad. the entire ground is just white.

-the other option is snow accumulating only on rooftops and trees. this is somewhat better, but it doesn't have the accumulation of the first setting. woop, there's snow on the trees now, okay.

so my suggestion. make a new setting, replace an already-existing one, I don't care. snow should only accumulate on trees, rooftops AND grass. this should leave man-made things like gravel paths, sidewalks and road surfaces untouched. this would still let snow cover the ground in a nice way while not covering everything in an ugly way.

I know it's a bit of a compromise, but everything short of making a unique snow-covered texture for every tile will be, and I doubt the developers will do that.

I live in Canada, and when snow falls, and doesn't get plowed, the only way to tell road from not road is if there is a guardrail or something. That's what snow does.

If anything, for the sake of realism, he devs should ad the ability to get your car stuck in the snow. Even with studded or winter tires, the average non 4 wheel drive vic doesn't stand a chance of getting out of a driveway.

And even most 4x4s don't stand a chance, even on a road covered on snow.

22 hours ago, Papa Juliet Whiskey said:

I live in Canada, and when snow falls, and doesn't get plowed, the only way to tell road from not road is if there is a guardrail or something. That's what snow does.

but the current implementation looks awful

do you really want this looks good in any way?

it looks like a sandbox map you'd test development features on, not the outskirts of the main map

f77d3dd40ebe33593a1dbab6b6cf9373.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Undisturbed snow is pretty bland, and the game itself has flat terrain everywhere, so there'd likely be little outside of vegetation to break it up a bit.

He current grass effects don't really lend well to this at present, because unlike in the summer, it doesn't blend very well with the snowy backdrop. This could possibly be touched up by making the grass sprites come out off different parts of a tile, instead of in the center, kind of like how you can move items around with peaceable inventory items.

Uncertain how easy it would be to implement, but tiremarks or footprints through the snow would lend to the realism. I don't think there's any code in the game that would allow this without some bigger overhaul, and I'd rather see MP build or stavle version 1.0.

I'd still opt to have the possibility of getting vics stuck in the snow, and even the possibility of slipping.

Perhaps some ice tiles could be mixed in, or become apparent when some snow melts prior to a freeze. Of course, this could involve a lot more work than they likely care for at this moment, mostly the bigger fish to fry argument.