Navigation!

nokinobu

I think if the map of any sort is to be added into the game, I want it to work like this :

Living in some town, sooner or later you'll find out where your house is on the general map. So, a map with a dot or any sort of mark that says "My house" and has a dot on your starting place is good enough to pinpoint as a landmark.

That way you have a thing to push from when you try to figure out your surroundings. A "Minecraft" sort of map could also work, unvealing the locations that you haven't visited yet by the point where you stand, but in no way indicating where you actually stand. So, if you run around the neightborhood and forget the way home, by looking at the map you'll only see the places where you went through. You'd have to figure which house on the map represents the actual house, and push from there to find the way back home. Think of it as "learning surroundings". Orienteering ability for the Park Rangers could fit with this map idea extra well, giving you a bigger "circle" to orienteer from.

I think if the map of any sort is to be added into the game, I want it to work like this :

Living in some town, sooner or later you'll find out where your house is on the general map. So, a map with a dot or any sort of mark that says "My house" and has a dot on your starting place is good enough to pinpoint as a landmark.

Or... If people could draw on the maps, they could do that themselves, as well as marking any other locations however they pleased be they other survivor safehouses, important buildings to check for supplies later, or even marking down buildings that they've completely cleared of usable supplies.They could even write little notes or make symbols to indicated certain things to help themselves in any number of ways.

And what about when you go from one side of the game-world to the next and have an entirely different map for an entirely different area? Not only would the "My House" be irrelevant and not on the map, but there goes your landmark. (Which wouldn't be helpful anyways, since you'd need to orient yourself to where YOU stand on the map in relation to where the point on the map is.)

That way you have a thing to push from when you try to figure out your surroundings. A "Minecraft" sort of map could also work, unvealing the locations that you haven't visited yet by the point where you stand, but in no way indicating where you actually stand. So, if you run around the neightborhood and forget the way home, by looking at the map you'll only see the places where you went through. You'd have to figure which house on the map represents the actual house, and push from there to find the way back home. Think of it as "learning surroundings". Orienteering ability for the Park Rangers could fit with this map idea extra well, giving you a bigger "circle" to orienteer from.

No it wouldn't, because maps don't work like that. This isn't an example of "learning your surroundings" at all; this is having your surroundings organized and laser-printed for you as you walk past them, and people would just find a "blank map" then go for a jog around the neighborhood. This is the same as having an ordinary map that doesn't indicate anything to you, the only difference being that it's completely blank until you fill it in which doesn't make any sense. I think realism should be a major part of navigation as "guiding" the player via completely meta game elements such as "fill-in maps" or "bread crumb trailing" are very unimmersive and are features that are generally added to make the life of the player easier or simpler.

I agree. But don't you think the ability to draw on paper would be cool? Then you can draw your own map if you want to take the time, or leave notes to someone or something like that.

To me, the biggest thing would be the ability to actually put notes on the map.

I take a screen shot "crash map", zoomed into the area, stuck it into Paint (I know, I know) and then jot on it.  I circle the houses I have investigated, X out looted houses and put an A on those with Alarms.  When I clear out a section, I just drop that into my save folder and update my bigger pic/map file (usually with my safe houses), section out another area and repeat.

I use it to plan out my foraging runs, where I might put my next bolt hole, longer term plans, etc.

Reading all these, and past threads I don't know why people ask for anything more the basic maps.

It literally takes little effort to learn the area, LITTLE effort.

Just pay attention to your surroundings.

The arguement that, "My character lived here, he should have some idea" doesn't fit with the devs saying the game is meant to be you, I personally know nothing of the area, and I can say 80% of the people on the forum don't either, and making so my character isn't me by knowing the area, breaks the immersion because how the hell do -I- know?

Also you big typers gotta seperate your paragraphs of text, its annoying to read. A compass indictator would be nice though. :geek:

The arguement that, "My character lived here, he should have some idea" doesn't fit with the devs saying the game is meant to be you, I personally know nothing of the area, and I can say 80% of the people on the forum don't either, and making so my character isn't me by knowing the area, breaks the immersion because how the hell do -I- know?

Who says your character knows the area either?

I'm not sure if you're asserting that the character knowing the area does, or would break the immersion, but I get the feeling that there's never been any mention that the character you play has lived in the house you spawn in, or even in the town or neighbourhood.

My best guess would be that your character has either ventured in from elsewhere before the player gained control, or was passing through Mulgraugh when the Z's started wandering - Either way, I like to think that the character I play has about as much knowledge of the surroundings as me (so, he know's Muldraugh pretty well by now, but gets completely lost in West Point at times)

Who says your character knows the area either?

I'm not sure if you're asserting that the character knowing the area does, or would break the immersion, but I get the feeling that there's never been any mention that the character you play has lived in the house you spawn in, or even in the town or neighbourhood.

My best guess would be that your character has either ventured in from elsewhere before the player gained control, or was passing through Mulgraugh when the Z's started wandering - Either way, I like to think that the character I play has about as much knowledge of the surroundings as me (so, he know's Muldraugh pretty well by now, but gets completely lost in West Point at times)

And if thats the case you don't need a flippin map now do you?

And there hasn't been a mention in this thread -yet- but this thread has been made before and the same general thing.

"Shouldn't my character like, know where the hell he is, and where everything is at"

Well no because if you desperatly need a map people have the big map that you can read if you really need it, if thats not good enough then get used to remembering where things are like it realistically would play out.

Umm short idea :3
Maybe instead of maps and stuff we can use the emotions to give you an idea of what's inside that house, or how close you are to that safe house ect.
Now, to be more precise, I mean like if your getting near to your safe house/ or place you have safety resided for a while your character will have a mood boost- feel happier ect. Or if Ur approaching somewhere dangerous you would become slightly scared.

Alternatively, you could press a button that makes your character says something like 'Almost safe..' or 'I don't like this.'

Just my take on your idea, i do like your compass idea, but it may be a tad overpowered and might take you out of the atmosphere. 

Umm short idea :3

Maybe instead of maps and stuff we can use the emotions to give you an idea of what's inside that house, or how close you are to that safe house ect.

Now, to be more precise, I mean like if your getting near to your safe house/ or place you have safety resided for a while your character will have a mood boost- feel happier ect. Or if Ur approaching somewhere dangerous you would become slightly scared.

Alternatively, you could press a button that makes your character says something like 'Almost safe..' or 'I don't like this.'

Just my take on your idea, i do like your compass idea, but it may be a tad overpowered and might take you out of the atmosphere. 

No, that definitely won't replace maps.

I could see you getting a panic reduction if you have no zombies on you and you have been away from home for a while. But that would only happen if you can SEE your house on screen. Navigation would be impossible.

Yes i agree on if you always look north theres no need for a compas, thats cool, though eitherway even if your character doesnt know his way around but is going to survive there. You should have the option to get a map and look over the area so you dont just wander aimlessly. And if the devs are trying to make it feel like its you who is surviving and not your character then they missed the immerssion part already. We cant do enough yet in game technology to properly immerse you as a character into the game. Eitherway, maps can be found, if i were there, id look for a map. All other things aside, maps are a thing for a reason, we should be able to use that thing if we want to, when we find one.

And if the devs are trying to make it feel like its you who is surviving and not your character then they missed the immerssion part already. We cant do enough yet

I don't really get what you are trying to say here but, do you understand that the game is currently in alpha?

And if the devs are trying to make it feel like its you who is surviving and not your character then they missed the immerssion part already. We cant do enough yet

I don't really get what you are trying to say here but, do you understand that the game is currently in alpha?

There edited it, had a knack for leaving out words.

Yes i agree on if you always look north theres no need for a compas, thats cool, though eitherway even if your character doesnt know his way around but is going to survive there. You should have the option to get a map and look over the area so you dont just wander aimlessly. And if the devs are trying to make it feel like its you who is surviving and not your character then they missed the immerssion part already. We cant do enough yet in game technology to properly immerse you as a character into the game. Eitherway, maps can be found, if i were there, id look for a map. All other things aside, maps are a thing for a reason, we should be able to use that thing if we want to, when we find one.

I still don't really see your point, you want maps right? I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with you.

Thanks, I think I heard from Indie Stone several times that those type of maps are most likely going to make their way in, but don't catch my word on it :P

Personally I'm a big fan of Self Navigation map, where the map points out a few POI but it doesn't hold your hand. Requires you to actually think about where you are.

Thanks, I think I heard from Indie Stone several times that those type of maps are most likely going to make their way in, but don't catch my word on it :P

Personally I'm a big fan of Self Navigation map, where the map points out a few POI but it doesn't hold your hand. Requires you to actually think about where you are.

I would like a mix, some broad ones (road maps, basic maps) and than ones that do pinpoint your location. ( GPS, fixed park maps) 

Leaflets, tourist maps, the odd (out-of-date) car atlas, etc, could be really, really useful...

You could even have a mechanic where the push-button-to-bring-up-a-map map is expanded by your character arranging and lining up all the smaller maps they've found, though admittedly that wouldn't be the best thing to carry around with you. However... Taking all those maps, glue and some scissors, perhaps you could craft a wall or table mounted 'big board' to stick in your safehouse, much like the Battle of Britan air defence maps.

Why do that? Well, now you have a rather spiffy looking piece of survivor ingenuity that you can look at by interacting. Plus the map is much, much larger than one you could carry around with you; more space to draw and write on the map, and you could even stick paper notes to it. Think of it as a strategic map of the town, rather than the map you'd carry around everyday.

Plus, this gives us the option of placing our hand-made wood-carved markers (or buttons/chess pieces/bottlecaps) down on the map to represent safe areas, zombie hot spots, friendly and hostile survivor bases, and so on.

Be a nice little immersive touch, and give you something to do while you wait for the sun to come up and begin your scavenging. Check the big board. Grab the tourist map showing you the local trailer park and surrounding ammenities. Plan your days looting while eating a jar of peanut butter.

Yes, I'm falling in love with my own idea, haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Im fairly new to the game, put in about 12 hours so far and I feel it has big potential...

My biggest gripe is that in those 12 hours i still havent found an axe..  So i cant build anything because I also cant find any wood anywhere.

Ideally my character is from this town and he should have SOME idea where things are.   I even walked so far off the map that I was in no-mans land.... so far out of civiliaztion that i just ended a 7 hour game because I didnt want to walk back..

There needs to be some type of map system, even if its just a hazy memory map... IE, firestation is in the north of here, etc...

Yeah my point exactly, but until this is added here is a link to a site where someone put up the map for you to use properly in your internet browser.

Map-site: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.7939101395401192,0.13019924621615295,13.866319417127723

Hay I checked out this map you linked and, what's with those big blue squares I wonder? One of them is a Lumber mill obviously, but theirs one out in the middle of no ware in the woods I wonder what that is? A power plant a military base? An ALIEN CRASH SITE? :/