ZombieCade! First HTML-5/Canvas/JS Game*3DS Browser Compatible*

Global_Meltdown

Ok so I've been working on a new HTML5/Canvas/JS Game that's compatible for the 3DS Web Browser.

I intend to implement dual screen support in the future.

Right now it's mostly a Tech Demo so features aren't really added yet, but I wanted to get some feedback about how it functions on other 3DS's before I continue. I do see this hitting other platforms in the future but just working out some game mechanics for the time being.

This is all new to me, so bare with the cheezy paint graphics till I am ready to update.

I'll post more info on features I plan to add later (unfortunately I think the 3DS version will be more limited than the rest for obvious technical restraints). 

Enjoy and please leave some feedback......... go easy on me!

ZombieCade!

loading-logo.png

Nice!

I develop stuff with the HTML5 canvas and Javascript as well, but usually use webGL rather than DOM elements (then you can fully utilize the GPU and render in full 3D).

Though I see you've grasped the basics, it's still very primitive looking and feeling in terms of making it 'gamey'. Not too bad for a very very early tech demo prototype though. Working in 2D with sprites is a good way to build your confidence up to working in full 3D.

Just so you know, it's probably quite likely that the only restraints you'll have with the 3DS are memory-based limits - I develop for PC, and mobile devices (obviously for the browsers), and also for consoles (the XboxOne and PS4 both run nicely in full 3D at an acceptable framerate).

Many of my tech demos have proven to run better on mobile devices than low-end laptops after a bit of memory optimisation.

Which libraries, if any, are you using to assist with timing and the canvas rendering?

I've usually stuck to 3d Level design for hl2 modifications. I decided to branch out a little and am cramming a lot of information doing this but I like a challenge.

I was going to support WebGL but due to the 3DS Browser restrictions it doesn't really support it. So I opted for the 2D Canvas rendering.

The images I did in MS Paint. Took a few minutes to make but gave me a graphical feel that beat geometric shapes :P lol

The 3DS has very limited browser capabilities, you'd be shocked. I was happy to hear that Nintendo was going to support Unity on other platforms.

My plans in the future involve dual screen support with touch screen interaction to add more functions to the gameplay. Right now the 3DS only Utilizes the D-Pad, A-Button and Touch for HTML5. The other buttons have no functioning button index.

So I figured the touch screen could supplement some controls/options.

I'll post some further info when I get home later, I appreciate the post!

I did use construct 2.

I've been looking into mobile gaming as an offshoot for what I do. I wanted to do some more research on the 3DS as far as web games go. After learning that the 3ds web support was really poor I decided to look for something that might suit my needs.

After doing some HTML work, I knew it would be awhile before I got the hang of CSS/Canvas but JS was something I've used before so that was good.

I've been able to take my Index.html and add some modifications (this version I put is about my 20th one I've personally worked on). I don't know if you've actually looked at the limitations

Supported web standards[edit]Protocols[edit]
  • HTTP 1.0 / HTTP 1.1
  • SSLv3
  • TLS 1.0
Supported image formats[edit]

So it didn't really give me an easy go. But at least I can take a look at their code make some changes and it actually works unlike some of my own personal coding attempts.

I'm still learning to program albeit not as fast as I would like. But either way if you have any suggestions or resources that could aid me or knowledge that might lead me down a better path (or one with better graphics for the 3ds in the web browser) I'm all ears!

Thanks again for the reply.