Swords! Shields! Blacksmithing?

Forgotten-Six

Rope needs to happen in this game, it could add a lot of potential. Fo instance traps (which I'm sure are mentioned somewhere in the forums) and escape routes, large construction, weaponry, etc. However as the game is I can only see rope as a replacement for bedsheets climbing out of windows. I wouldn't want rope to happen until later in the game where it could have more uses.

Rope needs to happen in this game, it could add a lot of potential. Fo instance traps (which I'm sure are mentioned somewhere in the forums) and escape routes, large construction, weaponry, etc. However as the game is I can only see rope as a replacement for bedsheets climbing out of windows. I wouldn't want rope to happen until later in the game where it could have more uses.

Here-http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/11/next-steps/

Well, if you had a shop and some sheet metal, you could make a shield. Not a good one, but smithing a shield isn't entirely out of the question. And while I don't know much about making swords with a forge, I do know you can hammer bits of metal until they're thin enough to get an edge, and you can even file bits of metal into knives and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

i couldn't see smithing being implemented as in the game you are suppose to be the average person and the average person can't make a fine blade (though i suppose you could read a book that enables it though this would be for gameplay more than realism). Shields sound like a good idea at first but if you think it through realize that while that shield is strapped to you if a zombie starts pulling on it you will be dragged down and it takes a good amount of stamina to carry a 5-10 lb object with one hand over extended periods of time. Having said all of this i would like to see swords as right now it feels like there is little merit in leveling blade over blunt.

On the note of a shield being strapped to you, it shouldnt be, as research shows that was high unpractical for several reasons and they would usually be wearing shields in their off hand by a handle directly made to be held in the hand. There are several reasons to back this up. But i agree a shield isnt what you need in a zombie apocalypse, they dont attack with weapons in need of blocking they just attack you with melee which can easily be blocked with pushing them away which also doesnt require you to carry something heavy.

i couldn't see smithing being implemented as in the game you are suppose to be the average person and the average person can't make a fine blade (though i suppose you could read a book that enables it though this would be for gameplay more than realism). Shields sound like a good idea at first but if you think it through realize that while that shield is strapped to you if a zombie starts pulling on it you will be dragged down and it takes a good amount of stamina to carry a 5-10 lb object with one hand over extended periods of time. Having said all of this i would like to see swords as right now it feels like there is little merit in leveling blade over blunt.

On the note of a shield being strapped to you, it shouldnt be, as research shows that was high unpractical for several reasons and they would usually be wearing shields in their off hand by a handle directly made to be held in the hand. There are several reasons to back this up. But i agree a shield isnt what you need in a zombie apocalypse, they dont attack with weapons in need of blocking they just attack you with melee which can easily be blocked with pushing them away which also doesnt require you to carry something heavy.

The only type of shield I could see working would be a riot shield for large groups.

Smithing?

Are you kidding me?

Finding swords in houses would be cool, I'm sure that will one day be added but smithing?!

There are no smithy's in Muldraugh. Not to mention smithing isn't exactly something you can learn via trial and error. It takes a long time to smith a sword, and a lot of really noisy clanking and hammering. Not exactly a smart idea in the zombie apocalypse. Or a practical idea for a realistic zombie game.

You'll have to cross your fingers and rely on modders for this. Or do it yourself.

You could make a makeshift smith from a cut open propane tank (drained of course) and some fuel from coal or something.

Smithing?

Are you kidding me?

Finding swords in houses would be cool, I'm sure that will one day be added but smithing?!

There are no smithy's in Muldraugh. Not to mention smithing isn't exactly something you can learn via trial and error. It takes a long time to smith a sword, and a lot of really noisy clanking and hammering. Not exactly a smart idea in the zombie apocalypse. Or a practical idea for a realistic zombie game.

You'll have to cross your fingers and rely on modders for this. Or do it yourself.

You could make a makeshift smith from a cut open propane tank (drained of course) and some fuel from coal or something.

Still would be extremely difficult, time consuming and dangerous. Plus I have a feeling that with a setup like that, you wouldn't be able to get it hot enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not played long but I am grossly dissapointed that I've not seen a machete yet. I was assuming I just wasn't finding them but I take this post to mean they don't exist in game, and that' as much a shame as it is a kick in the balls to the whole realism thing. I'm a Kentuckian and I don't know a single family that doesn't at least have a couple cheap Coleman camping machetes in the garage. Personally, I have a pair of Gerber Gators for camping and the Coleman's for yard work. Point is, in this state, a Machete is as household a tool as a hammer or screwdriver are. That they aren't in the game means a developer somewhere needs his ass kicked :P

I've not played long but I am grossly dissapointed that I've not seen a machete yet. I was assuming I just wasn't finding them but I take this post to mean they don't exist in game, and that' as much a shame as it is a kick in the balls to the whole realism thing. I'm a Kentuckian and I don't know a single family that doesn't at least have a couple cheap Coleman camping machetes in the garage. Personally, I have a pair of Gerber Gators for camping and the Coleman's for yard work. Point is, in this state, a Machete is as household a tool as a hammer or screwdriver are. That they aren't in the game means a developer somewhere needs his ass kicked :P

They will be added, machetes are not a priority as there are already many weapons.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a mechete or even a Combat knife added to the game one day that would be Sweet. :evil:

( Wild tangent )

In fact speaking of blades the kitchen knife is OP ( im not complaining ) granted its not that durable but when i find a couple knifes i'm like BALLS YEAH!! :cool:

i'm practicaly untouchable when i have a few kitchen knives on me. i see 4 or 5 zed shambleing towards me im like,

" bitch please i gotta knife " :cool:  i shank dem biches and im off to raid more houses.

i read "Oh get a baseball bat its more durable" and yes it IS more durable but i cant even count the amount times i got scrached, bitten or even eaten when i try to take on the same amount of zombies with a baseball bat as i can with a kitchen knife.

I had 120 + kills in 7 - 8 days just useing kitchen knifes (Thankfully i found a few of them) Screw bats and golf clubs i'll gladly take knifes over that shit. Or an axe whichever comes first. BLADE SKILL FTW :mrgreen:

oh geez, not again. more smithing stuff.......................................

I too am thoroughly sick of the conversation, though the last topic got locked while I was sleeping & god help me I can seem to stop myself from posting....

Forgive me if I'm approaching the topic of Blacksmithing in an overly vague manner, but....

Given that IF this type of CRAFTING were implemented, it would likely be a matter of right-clicking an item in your inventory & given the presence of the required tools/materials your given the option to "craft" crude axe, "craft" crude blade, "craft" crude trowel, reinforce crude blade, etc. etc.... Isn't the argument of HOW the player is FABRICATING the item unnecessary, given the circumstances saying "whats the point of forging a blade when you could just sharpen a bit of flat bar" (I'm aware that no-one said this specifically, I'm half way through a post & my Forum-fu isn't strong enough to add quotes at this point without screwing around) just seems a little obtuse, especially given that basic "smithing" (shaping, hot riveting, etc.) CAN be performed with the same tools.

I might just ignore this topic unless I get drawn into another discussion about the specifics of my trade

+ 1 for FABRICATING

In my opinion, the forging is too difficult, too time-consuming and ineffective in a zombie apocalypse.

It is much easier to build a weapon from existing parts.

e.g.: Grind one side of an iron bar with a grinding machine and you've got a blade.

You can carve the hilt for this blade out of wood.

And with a drill, bolts and nuts you can connect both parts.

Or: Grind one side of a stone with a grinding machine and drill some holes in the other side.

Now you can connect the prepared stone with some string to a selfmade wooden handle.

Tada! -> Tomahawk.

I have a lot of ideas based on this system.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the only kind of bladed weapon that should exist in the is the machete and axe. These are easy to use unlike any kind of sword. Only lvl 5 blade should be allowed to use a sword. And if you really want to craft something i think an axe is much easier to craft and much more useful.

About the shields. The shields were used to deflect other weapons. You are not going to deflect an zombie attack. But those shields were used straped to the arm. A small and light shield in your hand though could be very useful. In my opinion it would work more as a weapon than a shield but it could work

Do agree that axes and machetes should pretty much be the only long bladed weapons (there may be other more specific examples and most of those would work too).

But no matter the level, swords should only lead to player damage. (either due to improper use, lack of training, or complete structural failure due to inferior materials.)

Shields would probably be a better anti-zombie weapon then you think. It would be great way to push zombies over (stomp stomp), get some space between you and them and it would definitely stop a zombie from attacking you.

Do agree that axes and machetes should pretty much be the only long bladed weapons (there may be other more specific examples and most of those would work too).

But no matter the level, swords should only lead to player damage. (either due to improper use, lack of training, or complete structural failure due to inferior materials.)

Shields would probably be a better anti-zombie weapon then you think. It would be great way to push zombies over (stomp stomp), get some space between you and them and it would definitely stop a zombie from attacking you.

Yes of course long blade XD and i agree with all that.

Now shields i'll say the same again. a shield strapped to your arm lets the zombie get close enough to harm you. but if you have a shield on your hand you can hold the zombie in place and bash him with an axe

I can think of many scenarios where a shield might be the death of you. Zombies pinning you to the ground by laying on your shield, your shield getting caught on objects as you run, zombies having a better grasp by clinging to your shield, getting pinned down by a zombie holding your shield while another zombies attacks you from the other side, your shield weighing you down or begin too awkward to carry thus inhibiting your movement speed.

If your having trouble fighting off the zombies, then a shield really wouldn't help much with that. A single zombie is already easy to deal with, it would be useless against a group of them. Shields are big and clumsy in my opinion.

I can think of many scenarios where a shield might be the death of you. Zombies pinning you to the ground by laying on your shield, your shield getting caught on objects as you run, zombies having a better grasp by clinging to your shield, getting pinned down by a zombie holding your shield while another zombies attacks you from the other side, your shield weighing you down or begin too awkward to carry thus inhibiting your movement speed.

If your having trouble fighting off the zombies, then a shield really wouldn't help much with that. A single zombie is already easy to deal with, it would be useless against a group of them. Shields are big and clumsy in my opinion.

The main benefit of shields is being able to very easily push zombies over. Could also be very useful when defending your safehouse.