Pro Tips For New Players *Spoiler Warning!*

Falke

If you go into an area and do not have a method of escape, then you are at a Dead End!  Once you arrive at a location, make sure you have a way out.  At the very least, do not run into an area with the enemy on your tail and assume you will be safer in the building.  Running into an unknown building you be a last ditch effort at survival.

One of the reasons why I always pack 2 boards, 2 sheets, 2 nails and a hammer as my backup weapon.  I can always barricade a door to buy some time and/or make a sheet rope and make a way out.  If my main weapon breaks and I am still on the go, I can make a nail plank and still have options.  I can cover the odd window and hide out.  The options of NOT having this small bit of extra material is leaving your 4th point of contact hanging out in the wind.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Blackpaladin:

Out of curiosity:

How are your experiences with shortsight?

Originally chose it because it fit my migrant worker character concept and was dreading it but I notice very little effect, unless I am tired or in pain with him. When in pain or very tired, it seems every seven to ten seconds, zombies will phase out of view becoming invisible for about a full second, only to phase back in while staring directly at them (and completely forget about seeing anything outside of that 160 or so degrees in front of you). Not too bad if you are careful and keep mental track of where the zombie who vanished exists in space as he moves. Probably best avoided if your spacial awareness is not so good.

Thus far the only seriously bad downside I have seen is the weakness one. They could make it worth fifteen red points at character gen and it would still be not worth taking. I'd rather start out somehow on fire than weak.

It had little affect at all. Basically the zombies just come in view a little more often when tired, but you already know where they are just from a normal scan anyway and can work around that. For me graceful is far more important of a trait and I only really will ever take 2 positive traits at most as otherwise the negatives can become too detrimental to my character.

@Bojanglatron:

Doesnt sound too bad.

Unfortunately 2 points is not enough for another positve trait.

@BlackPaladin:

Did you have real problems with any of those? (Agoraphobic, Claustrophobic, Brooding, Cowardly, Light Drinker, Short Tempered)

Cause i didnt.

Agoraphobic and Claustrophobic I'd never take. I don't want my character to get all nervous and insane literally everywhere. It messes with your vision and leads to bad things when you're panicked. Honestly if you're taking those alongside keen hearing you're literally not doing anything for yourself, as keen hearing boosts your perception but constantly being panicked reduces it.

For roleplaying reasons it might be reasonable, but gameplay wise i dont think its a problem.

I personally have no clue how panic actually reduces hearing (or even sight), but it doesnt seem to do any big percentage (maybe its bugged, idk).

I am playing perma panic, and i can hear all moving zeds way before they get near me, so keen hearing seems to work fine.

On paper that might sound right, but practically i found it to be the opposite.

So personally i think noone should let the points of the panic traits out.

Maybe someone with more trait experience can share his/her knowledge and we get a clearer picture how it exactly works with time.

It's not roleplaying purposes I'm talking about. When your character is panicked they reload weapons slower, as well as their field of vision becomes lessened, similar to when your character gets tired. Tired + panicked is like a death sentence when you're fighting a lot of zombies. I know I've lost quite a few characters from not having beta blockers and by accident backing into a zombie I didn't see due to the effects of being tired + panicked making it hard for your characters vision to see them. (the zombies go in and out of vision really quickly when looking around, and when really panicked and tired sometimes you won't notice a zombie here or there b/c they go out of your vision so quickly)

Bit of an update, based on my own experiences of late.

> Don't be Alarmed! If the area is reasonably clear when that burgular alarm goes off, and if your need is desparate enough, hop inside, do a quick run around to check for what you want, then bug out. Remember to assume all the exits are now covered by Zeke. Don't overload yourself. You will need to sprint and evade when you exit.

> Stabbing is Magic! If you've no weapon, kitchen or butter knives can one-shot kill a Zed with a jab up under the jawline. If all you've got is a pen, pencil, or spoon, you might be better off without a weapon.

> Know your limits. If you're only armed with a supply of blunt cutlery and pencils, you might be better off shoving Zeke back and caving in his skull with a boot. But this takes time. Time for his friends to wander over and investigate. If you're only armed with butterknives, remember how flimsy they are. A pencil or butterknife breaks very, very quickly. If you've not grabbed a proper weapon by now, avoid combat at all costs. A pair of zombies is peanuts to a baseball bat, but a death sentence to a spoon.

> Prioritse, prioritse, prioritise! Yes, that fire axe is something you desperately need. Yes, you want to get that fortified compound up around your farm today. But you're starving. The food in your fridge has already started to rot. That axe isn't going anywhere. Man up, take those cans instead, and come back when you're able to afford carrying that axe around. This is particuarly true for entertainment material. Yes, you need it. No, you don't need it now.

> Zeke doesn't need food and drink. You do. Always carry two water bottles with you at all times. You never know how long you will be away from your safehouse. Empty pop or soda bottles weigh less than empty whisky bottles, but hold the same amount of water. Save canned food for the safehouse, use chips while out looting. When you open that can of beans, pour it into a bowl first. You get a bit more nutrition, and a small amount of happiness.

> Murphy's Law WILL come up and bite you on the ass. Plan for the worst case. Always go in with an escape plan. Always have a backup. Most of all, remember when to let go. The loot will still be there. Your safehouse will still be there. You can always clean out the zombies later.

Well i tend to have 1 water bottle cause the plumbing still has some reserve pressure if i need to refill

Hm. Before i get last stage of tired, i am normally in my bed (or doing something in my safe-zone).

Only on one occation within nearly 3 ingame month now i had to fight zeds in this tired state,

and i had a few blackouts back then, so i know what you mean.

But seriously: If you play safe, this is absolutely no problem.

The vision in panic-mode is eagle clear.

.) Blunt weapons are your friend. Durable, and with higher Skill fast in killing.

Never ever use blade-weapons, they have no knowdown! Knockdown is key in controlling the combat.

the axe is a blade-weapon and it  is the melee weapon that does the most damage currently and they do have a knockdown. 

.) Blunt weapons are your friend. Durable, and with higher Skill fast in killing.

Never ever use blade-weapons, they have no knowdown! Knockdown is key in controlling the combat.

the axe is a blade-weapon and it  is the melee weapon that does the most damage currently and they do have a knockdown. 

Are you talking knockdown or knockback?  Just about every weapon that has reach, has the potential for knockback.  They almost always knockdown.  That said, I always play with the Strong Trait.  That may be skewing my results.  I mean being able to carry more AND be more effective in combat... sign me up!

Something I didn't see mentioned:

+ If you have the opportunity, check the corpses of the zeds you kill.  They carry random things that you might find useful.  I've found more fire axes and big hiking bags on dead zeds than I have found from looting buildings.

I always ever only found clothing so stopped searching them, unless I needed bandages. After reading this went back and searched the oceans of dead in my current run through and found meds, over a hundred shotgun and pistol bullets, and a bunch of other useful sundries. Pretty good advice.

+ Speaking of which, if you find yourself looking at a carpet of undead and wondering which ones are dead and which ones are crawlers, simply turn away. The crawlers will fade out of view like any other zombie once out of your viewing arc - the truly dead don't, from what I have seen, and remain as scenery objects.

Two good points, will fill them in later today.

Thanks for the input.

I tested other blade-weapons with the Strong trait (since i had no axe),

with the result of being scratched and bit shortly after each other (which i luckily both survived).

Edit: Tested the axe (found 3 in the tool shop in WP).

It has knockdown, and can be used like any blunt weapon.

Did a few onehits with 0 blade-skill, so seems to work pretty fine.

Only downside is you get exhausted pretty fast like with other heavy weapons.

Unfortunately i am currently stuck on selfbuild stairs with my safegame, and my char is not able to move.

That pretty much sucks bigtime. I looted like 80%+ of Muldraugh, so if i have to start again, i will test Westpoint next time.

I hope it is more challenging then Muldraugh.

Hey.

Update:

Wrote axes in as exception.

Added the two other points: zombie looting and crawler-test.

I started a new game today, and took the usual traits.

Panics seems to work differently now (zombie fading).

Now i know what someone was talking about before.

Maybe it was bugged before, like i suggested.

Still needs more testing before i make final conclusions.

Could be i have to rewrite the trait section.

Second thing is the lucky/unlycky trait.

I am interested if it affects the chance to get bitten/scratched.

Any experiences with the traits since version 21 guys?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some inventory tips for you guys...

Tired of dragging and dropping into the list not working sometimes?? Drag and drop into the container icon instead.

All items have a purple triangle beside them... you can use this to check how many pills you have left, see am items condition, and remove duplicate clothing without unequipping.

You can hold down the shift key to select multiple items at once.

Not many people know these tips. Enjoy having an easier time with inventory management!!

Hey.

Update:

Wrote axes in as exception.

Added the two other points: zombie looting and crawler-test.

I started a new game today, and took the usual traits.

Panics seems to work differently now (zombie fading).

Now i know what someone was talking about before.

Maybe it was bugged before, like i suggested.

Still needs more testing before i make final conclusions.

Could be i have to rewrite the trait section.

Second thing is the lucky/unlycky trait.

I am interested if it affects the chance to get bitten/scratched.

Any experiences with the traits since version 21 guys?

Luck and unlucky ONLY affect repair at the moment so feel free to pick the unlucky trait. 4 extra points to spend is very good.

I described this method of advance in my Rail Yard thread.

• Save every larger bag you find, I keep duffles on up.  More below as to why.
  • Carry three to four of the best bags you can (at a minimum).  Have one on your back and one in your secondary (I roll with a hammer as my primary weapon, though I keep a bat handy).  Split the load in your loot between Food and Other.  Whenever you fill a bag, drop it off at the back door of a cleared out house and keep going (dont forget to equip your new bag).  Whenever you fill your last bag, turn around and pick up your last dropped off bag (now you have three) and head to the house.  Drop off all three bags and then return to get the remainder of your loot.  This limits the back and forth while hunting/looting.  It usually takes two to four bags to clear out a subdivision.  Some of the larger "rich" subdivisions, like those North of WP, can take two to four bags a block.
  • Pack a pair of bags at every main "fortification" for a quick exit.  If the Zeds come a knocking and it all goes south, you can grab the bags and run.  No need to leave everything behind.
  • Pack a single bag of goodies (food, water, ammo, pills, lighter, cigs, a pistol and a few melee weapons) for bolt-holes / safe houses and another bag with enough supplies to make it initially secure (hammer, nails, a few planks and some sheets).  After you secure your location, leave the unused supplies and your good bag in place.  If you want to take time and really shore it up, go for it.

My usual stratagey is a Bolt-Hole every two blocks or so and a safe house every four blocks or so.  The only investment in bolt-holes and safe houses is time, sheets, nails and wood.  These are not about your last stand, these are about making Zed have to earn every inch to buy your time to escape.  How much time?  Depends on the house.

• A bolt hole is just a room (preferablly on the second floor).  Seal off the door or the top floor and put sheets over the windows.  A bolt hole is about blending in, not about uber-fortification.  WP is thick with good bolt-hole locations.
  • Safe houses are just shy of bases IMHO, without an outer wall but with two good exits.  I pick a place with limited avenues of advance in the house, barricade the place and wall off the inside.  If a bedroom/bathroom has a window on the main floor, seal off the window and then seal off the door.  If two rooms have a choke point and your dont need them, add a wall or three.

When you get done, you should be able to map out sections of town you have cleared out and what places are safe to run to.  If things get tense, pause the game, take a look at where you are and where the nearest place of refuge you can safely get to is.  Then move out and draw fire.  Instead of running willy-nilly, you get to where you need to go and regroup.

Once an area is clear, you can then mosey back through a section every few days and clear out the handful of Zeds who have wandeded in.  I install Trojan Houses near my major avenues.  It is a few sections of walls usually in the pattern of a "plus" or "swastika".  I want something the zeds will run into and attack.  When I am moving about, I take a gander and see what places have been attacked or being attacked.  If the place is completely destroyed, then I need to be on my guard like I am moving into an unexplored area.

Luck and unlucky ONLY affect repair at the moment so feel free to pick the unlucky trait. 4 extra points to spend is very good.

In ItemPicker.lua:

if lucky then

itemNumber = itemNumber + 1;

end

if unlucky then

itemNumber = itemNumber - 1;

if itemNumber<0 then

itemNumber=0.1;

end

end

I read it as if your item chance is 2, with lucky it becomes 3, which doesn't seem like a big difference. But if your item chance is 0.1, it becomes 1.1, which seems like a very big difference for the rarest loot. And if you're "unlucky", the rarest loot will remain very rare, but useful sem-rare loot will become equally very rare.

I'd say Lucky is far better than unlucky is worse.