New Sounds, just me who thought the sounds are getting generic?

bugme

I'm following the new sounds project with a lot of enthusiasm, but there's something that bothers me a lot, the sounds are getting generic, "gore" sounds, gunshot sounds, they seem to be the same as thousands of other games. This took the personality out of the game and broke the survival simulator atmosphere. For me the new gun sounds suck. The old gun sounds are much more realistic and immersive. Gore sounds are also generic. I would like the sounds to be based on reality and not based on other games.
YouTube is out there with thousands of examples of what real sounds are like. Not to mention that you can go into obscure sites and hear the sound of a knife cutting human flesh, or the sound of a human skull being split open by an axe. I guarantee they are very different from these new generic sounds implemented in the game.
I know it's WIP, but I don't like the way of this WIP are getting, am i the only one who thinks so? I make it clear that the project also added very good new sounds
what are your opinions guys?

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 3:23 AM, bugme said:

Not to mention that you can go into obscure sites and hear the sound of a knife cutting human flesh, or the sound of a human skull being split open by an axe. I guarantee they are very different from these new generic sounds implemented in the game.
what are your opinions guys?

Interesting search history you got there.  Just teasing ya.

No one replied to this yet? Yes got the same fear of the sound becoming very generic. But let it come out into the builds and play with for a while. I think it is a needed and very good change coming to PZ. The way players interact with the 2.5D world relies allot on sound direction to overcome the shortcomings of the 2d tiled world.

Really I do think I will miss the current zombie sounds and guns. (shotgun <3 )

But there is nothing stopping players from having the sounds modified from what we know so far. Or just sounds being replaced later on in the games builds.

But knowing that the same people that did Alien isolation is in charge of PZ sound rework is quite epic. And even if the sounds are questionable the gameplay looks to be greatly improved! That demo of footsteps from top floor and ground floor in a house really was something else! Exactly what is needed to give a feeling of being in a world space and not just surrounded by 2d tiles.

Noise Work having any drawback most likely are going to be fixable. Current sound system is just serviceable and have done well for what it is. No need for super realistic sounds as long as they sound good. (current sounds from build 40-41 are awesome btw) 

well, so far i've noticed only wolf howling sound being too generic, like warcraft 3 night time generic.

but thats not what bothers me. for now i only wish they gave back the detailed volume setting, where we could tweak the every sound, coz volume balance in some moments sounds hella off.
and the new smoking sound, whats up with that being so hideous? dont get me wrong, i like the update and all, but take a look at "misery" mod for stalker, smoking sound back there was amazing, you could close your eyes and tell this is a sound of someone smoking, here if i do the same, it'll sound like someone overturns a wooden box with rice inside

edit: oh no, i'm an idiot. havnt noticed that the topic is outdated as hell

On 9/13/2021 at 10:36 AM, Turbo50 said:

Really I do think I will miss the current zombie sounds and guns. (shotgun <3 )

Exactly I love the old shotgun sound.

38 minutes ago, MGWhiskers said:

edit: oh no, i'm an idiot. havnt noticed that the topic is outdated as hell

Not really, when I made this comment I was following the weekly posts made on Thursdays. My criticisms are still the same.

1851hrs played in Zomboid and the new sounds have kinda ruined the game for me. There is no more Dead Dead (yes I typed it twice...) sound when you finish a zomboid, Cars sound Horrible, Some of the new sounds are just too Cartoonish for me (nice "Realism" /sarcasm) and 3D models that were not Really Needed at all. This is a Survival Game, Not The Sim's - Zomboid Life/Death!

I guess I got my money's worth out of this $10 game... I was hoping to play some Multiplayer but now I won't, Oh Well....

No Idea Who the Game Dev's are listening to for all these Changes but they are Horrible changes to what was a Great Game. Enjoy your 100hr or so BoobTube or Twittch players telling you all these Unnecessary and Game Ruining Changes!

Played the new update some more & I was too harsh earlier. Some of the sounds still stand out as being strange (doors, faucets, melee weapons and a couple other things) but there are a lot more well-implemented new sound effects than I though at first. The stormy weather for instance sounds great. Hopefully the issues with some of the other sounds are worked on since they do affect gameplay.

Good patch & good sounds too mostly, except for some bizarre ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...some very harsh words for the new sounds. There's a couple that I'm not real sure about but, I think it will take time to adjust. Just like most things that are new, and many of us have a problem with change? I say give it a chance. I think it's hard to let go of what we are use to. But I am predicting that in time, these new sounds will become accepted. I've played quite a bit since the new updates and I'm already starting to feel that they belong to the game. To optimistic???

1 hour ago, fcolley3 said:

Wow...some very harsh words for the new sounds. There's a couple that I'm not real sure about but, I think it will take time to adjust. Just like most things that are new, and many of us have a problem with change? I say give it a chance. I think it's hard to let go of what we are use to. But I am predicting that in time, these new sounds will become accepted. I've played quite a bit since the new updates and I'm already starting to feel that they belong to the game. To optimistic???

There are problems with the new sounds, but the developers are going in the right direction. They are great and they will succeed.

16 hours ago, fcolley3 said:

fyi I doubt they'll change much. not confirmed but rumor from a decent source, noise works happened to 'owe' the zomboid developers a little something something and did a decent enough job to fix that up. you'll notice that zomboid isn't listed in noise works' website https://thenoiseworks.com/work/

19 hours ago, turkler said:

fyi I doubt they'll change much. not confirmed but rumor from a decent source, noise works happened to 'owe' the zomboid developers a little something something and did a decent enough job to fix that up. you'll notice that zomboid isn't listed in noise works' website https://thenoiseworks.com/work/

That's hilarious. You should burn your source because that's utter bullshit :D

I really liked the old music in the "This is how you died" screen and the new sounds in that screen feels out of place. Sometimes less is more. I really loved most of the ingame sounds though. Maybe zombie death sounds could be a bit less squishy though. And jumpscare sound could be tiny bit quieter.

Archived