Where is the logfile?

Eldorico

Question

Hi every one!

I want to report bugs and crashs frome the linux steam version, and just don't find the log folder. 

Where should I look? is the file extension .log? 

I've found the  ".steam/.../steamapps/Project Zomboid" and the "~(user)/Zomboid" folders. 

EDIT: I forgot : I'm on ubuntu 12.04 LTS  64 bits

4 answers to this question

If you open a "start - Run" console, navigate to the steam folder, and run the ProjectZomboid64.exe (or 32 if you're 32 bit) and add a 2>error.txt at the end you should get the console log as an extra file (whatever you name it).

This isn't entirely correct, you'll get a "error.txt" file at the end, but it'll be blank.

When you want the errors from a program, you need to place the 2>file after the command ie:

foo 2>error

would put out a file "error" saying "No command 'foo' found, did you mean:, etc"

1 on the other hand, puts out normal output

echo hello 1>normal

(Little extra info, &>file means both error & normal)

Putting a bash script like this would not work (as you want it):

echo hello

foo hello

2>error

Try this:

echo hello

foo hello 2>error

However, this won't do the whole file, just the failed foo command.

To do the whole file, you can go to the projectzomoid.sh directory in the terminal and run ./projectzomoid.sh 2>error.log

Or, a little workaround, put the entire file into a subprocess and then add a 2>error at the end.

(

echo hello

foo hello

) 2>error

But the easiest way (for me) is to simply open a terminal, go to the projectzomboid folder, and attempt to run it there. Any errors will be output to the terminal and you can copy and paste from there.

==============

Fyi,

I would reccomend backing up any files you might change. copy and paste would be fine.

The pz folder for steam is located here: ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid

.sh is *similar* to .exe but more similar to .bat files

To start a terminal, hit the "windows" key and type terminal, or hit <ctrl>+<alt>+<t> (for ubuntu)

If you run from a batch file, you can put out a logfile of your own... I've done this early on but not so much recently.

Without running from a batch file or from the console directly I don't think there's a "default" log file created.

If you open a "start - Run" console, navigate to the steam folder, and run the ProjectZomboid64.exe (or 32 if you're 32 bit) and add a 2>error.txt at the end you should get the console log as an extra file (whatever you name it).

When I started playing I had to do some batch file tweaking & console runs to get the log files... might be of some help to scan it (although the patch files have changed several times since then)...

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2633-patch-0010-crashing-logs/?hl=console#entry37991