Starbound

TheCenturion

Pre-ordered and met a few of the devs at Rezzed, seriously nice people!

Obligatory photo of swell times:

tumblr_nl5xp66xAn1u80z9so5_1280.jpg

I really do need to play it more. I've sorta held off from doing so for quite some time now, but when I do play I often clock in quite a lot of hours in a short time. :D

Great game, great devs. Reminds me of a certain other game. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great game, great devs. Reminds me of a certain other game. :)

Yup, The War Z aka Infestation: Survivor Stories.   :)

Not sure if sarcasm.

Or actual complaint

It was supposed to be a joke, you know he's referring to PZ but I throw in War Z.  Failed I guess, oh well :)

• 4 months later...

New update, a bunch of systems about colonies or something:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/25/starbound-update-colony/

You know, after seeing how much time chucklefish is spending on giving Female NPCs big tits, and the fact they reconned the Hyotl /Floran history . . . I don't think I will ever play Starbound again, the game caters to a toxic community, and it honestly has lost much of its allure to me.

You know, after seeing how much time chucklefish is spending on giving Female NPCs big tits, and the fact they reconned the Hyotl /Floran history . . . I don't think I will ever play Starbound again, the game caters to a toxic community, and it honestly has lost much of its allure to me.

Er... source?

Er... source?

http://playstarbound.com/meet-the-florans/

It mentions nothing of the Hytol, or whatever, the lore used to be that the Florans enslaved them and hunted them for food. I am fairly certain that the community probably hated the idea that Florans and Hytlol don't get along and forced the devs to change it . . . That is a conjecture, but a decent one considering my time spent there. I fled those forums because they were devoid of discourse, I was frequently called a racist by hysterical fans because I suggested that the different races should have different traits. Nothing game changing, but just enough to make them function slightly different. This apparently put me on the same level as Ayn Rand.

As for the boobs, a friend of mine posted the images, and they just seemed a bit over the top. An indication of misspent time, for me anyway, and a lack of direction. I tried looking for the pictures that my friend linked to me, to no avail. But frankly, the game's combat is dull, and the exploration isn't fun for me. I much prefer Terraria, oddly enough. That, combined with the fact that you can rarely have intelligent or civil discourse on those forums, made me lose hope in the game.

I love the idea that Spaniard is considered a racist because he thinks different FICTIONAL races in a video game should have different character traits. I think that you should go back and insinuate that all the Florans cant dance, the Hytlol eat watermelon, the Apex have big noses and the Novakids control world banking. Although knowing the internet you'll probably be outed as Space Hitler and spend the rest of your life being hacked.

But in any case I do like this game and am seriously considering renting a server for a month so as to have a laugh with friends. If anyone fancies joining in and me doing this then let me know.

I love the idea that Spaniard is considered a racist because he thinks different FICTIONAL races in a video game should have different character traits. I think that you should go back and insinuate that all the Florans cant dance, the Hytlol eat watermelon, the Apex have big noses and the Novakids control world banking. Although knowing the internet you'll probably be outed as Space Hitler and spend the rest of your life being hacked.

But in any case I do like this game and am seriously considering renting a server for a month so as to have a laugh with friends. If anyone fancies joining in and me doing this then let me know.

Count me in

lol

Well, I am pretty sure that those allegations of racism were what caused my exodus from those forums to this one. I think it was around that time, and I stayed because this community is awesome (not to mention the devs, mods, all seem on the same page and have a philosophy I can really put my $$ behind and support, even though I don't always agree with every course of action).

@Rathlord, I wouldn't typically care about a community unless the game I am following is early access/multiplayer. . . Part of the reason why I like early access, is the fact that your voice is at least heard. That's all. That you are, at least, part of the discussion.

At the Starbound forums, only the vocal minority were heard, because they were so damn loud, obnoxious, and aggressive. To make it worse, they were catered to by the moderators. My voice was not heard, and rarely was there a moment where I felt accepted despite my different perspective. Ironic, considering how they acted holier than thou. I am pretty sure I have disagreed with every person in this thread at least once, including moderators, and while we don't always see eye to eye(frequently we don't) we at least hear each other out. I know I can be kind of an ass at times, albeit not always on purpose, but I really do listen and I feel like ya'll listen even though you disagree with me. It's a totally different vibe.

So, that being said, I feel that the female models were fine as they were and it seems weird to me that it was changed. I didn't see the point, honestly, and it kind of highlights for me the weird priorities that the devs have when tackling the game.I seriously think the Floran lore that was reconned, was due to the same type of philosophy that cried, "There's too much racism in the real world, why have racism in the game?"

IT's really bizzare, the community acted like the game was some kind of social justice movement, or a place for ostracized people to finally be free. Any sort of RPG elements are thrown to the after burner because any difference in characters apparently "forces" people to min and max. It would cultivate prejudices. Which I find to be an absurd claim. Anyway, I am rambling now, but those people really piss me off . . . Just the level of obtuseness makes my head spin ( i am a teacher guys, so my tolerance for it is already super high).

That being said, I've played with Kitt and Karen on Starbound before and it was fun. If you get a solid group of people playing, I'll maybe join in, when time permits. At least, just to check out the newest update, but bah some of the stuff that's happening in that game's development just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  .  .

I think that people seem to lose sight of the fact that games are supposed to be fun Spaniard. Either that or they seem to find more fun in arguing about bat-shit crazy pointless things in the game rather than say helping build an underwater fortress which Kitt and I did last time (actually it was more just a tower to the bottom of the sea with a castle at the top and bottom).

I am super up for building a cloud city style asteroid base with floating houses all connected by a sky rail system and I still have my character from the last update with ALL his shit and super-duper space ship so I might just transfer it all over to a new character from the new update so as to save time.