Weird Crashes on New Update

Nicator

Following the most recent update I have had two games ruined by some bizarre issues surrounding a crash in Zomboid. Prior to the update, I cannot recall my game ever crashing and I have played it without issue for nearly a hundred hours. I do not have any mods active. I am on the build 41 beta.

The first time it occurred, I was reading a newspaper at 5x speed. The sudden jump from 1x to 5x speed seemed to provoke the game to stutter. After another brief pause, the game booted me out to the main menu, like a sort of soft crash. Intriguingly, the credits on the main menu screen seemed to play incredibly fast, rapidly cycling through names. It felt as if the 5x speed had been 'carried over' to the main menu and was still in effect even when I wasn't actually playing a game. I can't explain how that's possible, but that's what it appeared as.

The second time I was in combat while it was snowing very heavily. The game had been stuttering for about 10 minutes preceding the actual crash, with long, intermitten freezes where game sounds and music would still play but the screen was graphically frozen. It was very frustrating and they lasted for about 10 seconds each. Finally, the game froze once more as I thrust a knife and then crashed to desktop completely.

Both times these crashes occurred, when I loaded back into my saved game, all the zombies had disappeared. I found that if I strayed quite far from the position I had loaded into, I would be able to find 1 or 2 zombies in distant houses and such. However, I'm playing on Sandbox with the Six Months Later preset - the streets should have been filled with hundreds of zombies. So my guess is that the few zombies I could find where fresh spawns that the game had just generated while working up to the map population peak, and all the zombies that had previously already been in game had been erased for no reason at all. I can't really play these saves anymore because the challenge of Six Months Later has been completely removed by the fact that I don't have to fight the insane zombie population for loot, I just have free reign over all of Rosewood now.

If the game crashes again in the future, can you go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and share the "logs.zip" file found there? It has the latest game logs saved so it would provide us with a log of the crash. Sharing your PC specifications with us would be very useful as well.