Player Stunlock

Fuzzy Wolfy

2 hours ago, Papa Juliet Whiskey said:

Maybe I just got a combo of the thin skin trait with a touch of clumsy myself, but I look at my hands after a day of working retail, mostly merchandising, and I find ways to inadvertently cut my fingers, knuckles, hands and arms on all kind of things not including my knife. Hell, a plastic lid of ice cream left a quarter inch gouge on my finger.

And the jagged rim on peanutbutter jars?

I'd rant about capitalism here, but we're not supposed to.

Maybe zomboid should add injury chance on looting them, lol.

LOL... I love it... paper cuts for EVERYBODY!!!

I myself wouldn't feel to confident throwing knuckles at a zed's head myself, but I tend to have shit luck. Wouldn't even consider it without some kind of gloves. Extra points for knuckle dusters.

Yeah, no... only a person of lesser intellect would throw a fist at anything, much less something that'll likely kill you if you break your skin on it.  I was merely pointing out that, in a pinch, it could be done.  Not bare fists though... not without a percentage chance for scratches and lacerations, as well as broken fingers.

Of course, everyone told me up until that point that "if you can move it, it ain't broken". I've learned since then, several times, that such a claim is more on the bullshit side things.

Not COMPLETELY, but yeah... most people don't have a enough medical knowledge to be telling people such things.  And yeah, I've got boxer breaks from when I was young that didn't heal right.  I could still move it then, still can now.  It's a bit stiff in the winter though... giggity.  Same thing when I shattered the tip of my humerus,  I could move it just fine, but my arm was numb for a month.

3 hours ago, Papa Juliet Whiskey said:

but straight up killing hundreds with bare hands alone? I dunno, just seems high risk in a way.

I, definitely wouldn't recommend it.  I was more referring to the scenarios specified by the OP.  The whole stunlock/grab mechanic that was added.  It just seems silly to think of zombies being able to grab and hold you in place.  Zombies are mindless and shouldn't have ANY thoughts crossing their non-existent minds.  It's just a mechanic added for all the PZ vets who were getting bored.  We should TOTALLY be able to turn it off or tone it down in Sandbox Settings... along with the fence lunge.

I would suggest some kind of "Tearing myself away from them" animation instead of flailing.

The animation would be like a forward or backward stumble followed by a short crawl away to feet.

This would ensure that a player who struggles successfully can escape as long as they aren't completely surrounded or dragged down.

These are Zomboids, not martial artists who know how to grapple people perfectly. They are supposed to be animalistic not well trained.

Their advantages are supposed to be sheer numbers and mob tactics combined with an inexhaustible single minded focus.

Alternatively when a character shrugs off a zed, force the zed to take a knee like when they get shot sometimes or even fall down. The long stun should give the player a high chance of escaping small groups of zeds.

• 1 year later...

New player here, ~50hr and 6 deaths (playing on a sandbox server so slightly nicer zeds) and this issue caused every last one of them. I'm not going to get into the pedantics of whether or not this system is a good representation of actually fighting a zombie because it doesn't' matter, it's not fun. It's about as entertaining as waiting on hold with my banks fraud dept while watching my account get steadily drained to $0.00. The advice given here and elsewhere on what to do about it is derivative and redundant, of course I run when there's more than three coming in range (but before they get there), all six deaths occurred in the open, under good conditions, engaging with just two or three zed. Encounters identical to dozens of others that went smoothly. I've NEVER had it happen when lots of zed are after me and I'm slowy kitting down the horde, it's always just a couple random chuckleheads I meet on the road. Of course any interaction with a zed is risky, but less dangerous encounters than the ones that I keep dying to don't exist. This isn't a bug, it's design, and, from the pov of player enjoyment, it's bad. There needs to be a way to break out of it, it doesn't have to be perfect, or even reliable, but some sort of feedback to indicate your struggles at least exist.