Yeast! Brewing and baking!

Jingles Sideways

Adding yeast would be a good idea I think, with it you could bake bread (water, yeast + flour for dough, add heat source for flatbread) and modifying a rain barrel to make a still for Moonshine! (water+sugar+yeast+time = booze!) Which you could get drunk with or stuff a rag in the bottle and make some firebombs! (Could even add sulphides as an optional requirement to stop the mash going rotten)

one of the things I have seen on  a show somewhere, is that some people leave a small dish of water to the open air for a couple of days to "catch" wild yeast, It is alot less reliable than the farmed store packed stuff but it's possible to get it anywhere.

Dry yeast keeps almost indefinitely. Also as others have stated above, breadmaking and brewing with naturally occurring yeast is a valid option although it would take more time to get a good culture started. Back in the day the yeast culture was maintained if necessary by drying part of the dough for later. Whether any of this makes sense to implement into the game, I don't know... maybe as an advanced level cooking option.

Oh, and there's also the option of skipping yeast and making unleavened bread.

Well their should also be a recipe for unleavened bread.

Can't be forcing any Jewish to eat leavened bread on Hanukkah.   (tophat)

this could be some sort of trait, religious or something. I don't know if this goes to far for some people but in pen&paper roleplaying there is always the possibility of taking religiosly as a negative trait means you have to pray at least one times a day and have limitations when it comes to food.

The problem with this (it's come up before) is how you enforce this. What if you decide your PC will have a change of heart? What if you eat leavened bread anyways? Is the game going to force you not to eat food while you're starving? To stop and pray while facing a horde?

Stuff like that is better left to players to role play, because no matte how you do the system it's always either forcing the player to do something nonsensical or it's free points.

The problem with this (it's come up before) is how you enforce this. What if you decide your PC will have a change of heart? What if you eat leavened bread anyways? Is the game going to force you not to eat food while you're starving? To stop and pray while facing a horde?

Stuff like that is better left to players to role play, because no matte how you do the system it's always either forcing the player to do something nonsensical or it's free points.

true, this might be too much roleplaying for this...  we use it in p&p rpgs and the effects on the player if not executed or eaten wrongly are mostly psychological or lack of faith stuff like that... but I'll stop now

the option for this is already in the game, if you take the negative trait "Religious" food restrictions and praying are requirement in the game if you eat a restricted food or don't pray you get unhappiness moodle, most people who would have a change of heart would have done it before the point in the game from where we start. the trait means your a bit of a diehard.

the option for this is already in the game, if you take the negative trait "Religious" food restrictions and praying are requirement in the game if you eat a restricted food or don't pray you get unhappiness moodle, most people who would have a change of heart would have done it before the point in the game from where we start. the trait means your a bit of a diehard.

Are you playing with mods? That definitely isn't in the vanilla game.

Getting somewhat offtopic, but there's already a system in place for gaining and losing traits during the game. It'd make sense to use this system to deal with things such as the effects of maintaining a specific diet. Should there be any character creation time traits for characters adhering to a diet, it'd make more sense for the game to give you negative morale for breaking it, than game stopping you from eating whatever.

I still think people would take it, break the rule right at the start and deal with te moral failure when it's not a big deal, and then never have to worry about it again.

It wouldn't be a huge deal, I just don't think it would be easy to handle elegantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Bread is very important food for me and I missed it so much so i decide to add it to the game.But i noticed that there are some baking ingredients on way. It would be also nice with option to cultivate grain and make yeast.I made some research about making yeast and its quite simple :

http://www.greatnorthernprepper.com/how-to-make-bread-yeast-from-scratch/

basically all you need is some sliced fruit ,water and roasting pan and then let it ferment for 3-4 days,then take out fruit and let it dry for like 7 days or so. 

Also I'm not a cook, but there is recipe for grandmother's bread which don't use eggs or milk as they run out quickly.