Ice freezing + Functional Coolers

LeetgamerBoi

I've been paying attention to Thursdoids and how single player functions are being added, and I had a nice idea to contribute...   

So, a common issue I run into when I'm going about my later-game survival is the issue of preserving food.   
Currently, the only way to keep food cold is to put it in a refrigerator with power; but this heavily limits what you can do.   

While coolers are in the game as is, they hold a tiny amount of items and don't actually function, which is fairly disappointing.    

I think a nice feature would be to add some way to freeze ice, that could be placed into coolers (who should then have their capacity buffed to about 20 but weight reduction cut severely) that would enable you to keep food cold for several days (no less than 3) without electricity.     

It'd enable you to accomplish far more things such as transporting your food supply to and from your fridge, taking fresh food with you on a trip without it rotting, and even conserving electricity, only turning it on to freeze ice for your cooler, enabling you to minimize gas usage in a pinch. 

If implemented i'd highly recommend allowing these coolers to be accessed while in a car-seat or trunk, so you are able to load up or get out food while you are on a trip, effectively a portable food cooling method that meshes well with existing systems.

If this change is implemented, which i feel it would be a relatively easier system to do, i feel like it'd be a great addition and feel right at home in the game, thanks for reading!

Simple enough idea, would just need an Ice Tray that could be filled with water and put in the Freezer. Once frozen, you could remove the ice and get maybe 10 ice cubes. Plus, the devs could add a Bag of Ice! This could either be crafted with the 100 ice cubes and a plastic bag, or found commonly in the Popsicle Freezers we find in every Convenience Store. The Bag of Ice could keep the food in the cooler colder for longer, maybe working the same as 150-200 individual ice cubes.

I agree with the coolers, was just thinking about this today. Could make coolers placeable items like (fridges or microwaves) and turn them into low quality refrigerators. Only thing is the coolers must have an ice pack to function. No ice pack detected = no refrigeration bonus. Ice packs are nonconsumables and drain when taken out of a freezer or ice box. They only replenish when put back in a freezer or ice box. Obviously, "melted" ice packs do not give a refrigeration bonus. If the temperature detected <or= 32F or 0C, ice packs do not drain at all. Getting fancy with it, having two ice packs in a cooler makes the cooler have normal quality refrigeration. 

Edited by LastRequest

• 5 months later...

I've been going to make a topic about this, but since a couple of them already exist - i'm just gonna comment at the latest one and hope devs will see this.

Now my first suggestion is more about this old Winter/Refrigeration topic, because as good as the game is right now already, it is still really disappointing (and especially so for the "late game" players) that in game food that's left outside in freezing cold is not refrigerated/preserved at all. I mean it's only fair that outside temperature should affect not only player and crops, but also food spoilage rate when you leave the food outside.

And so we come to the second part - which is ice (again there was an old topic on this). As of 41.65 water does not freeze at below 0 temperatures and there's no ice in the game.

I understand that freezing lakes or rivers would require quite a lot of mechanics changes and also wouldn't probably be that viable, at least until swimming/sailing is implemented, but water freezing in containers at below 0 is a must, as well as some ice mechanics, that allows you to use ice chunks/cubes as means of refrigeration in coolers or fridges without power.

And the winter conditions that help to preserve food - is not only a must, but an absolute necessity in the late game. I really hope that you would implement that at some point.

Also, to make it even more fair, your rain collector barrels should not work at below 0, right? Maybe not right away, but definitely after a couple of days at -5 to -10 any barrel of water should turn into a barrel of ice, which should make it unusable as a water source (at least until you warm it up).

I also must say, that i've been playin' this game since pre-alfa-before-steam times and it really has gone a loooong way - a big shout out to the devs; and also this ice-refrigeration thing may seem a bit trivial, BUT - since "power refrigeration" is in the game for a long time already and weather conditions affect other aspects of PZ life, and water freezing/vaporizing is one of the physical characteristics of the real world we use every day, it would only be fair to try and implement the ice and "non-power refrigeration" as part of PZ at this stage.

Really hope we'll see this at some point in the nearest future.

• 2 weeks later...

In older times people dug "food cellars" which were basically just a hole in the ground or in the side of a mound with some shelves and a door/hatch. Fill em with ice and whatever food you want to keep preserved, add salt for longer preservation time. Depending on how well the food cellar was insulated the ice could last until the next winter came around so you could refill with more ice.

They were pretty much the refrigerators of their time.

Would be cool if there were some in the game, would fit nicely at some cabins. Should also be able to be crafted by the player.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, bkg said:

Also, to make it even more fair, your rain collector barrels should not work at below 0, right? Maybe not right away, but definitely after a couple of days at -5 to -10 any barrel of water should turn into a barrel of ice, which should make it unusable as a water source (at least until you warm it up).

You could just carve out out ice in chunks with any metal tool/weapon and put in a pot, melt and boil.

It would be even cooler(pun not intended... mostly) if water in containers froze, forcing the player to melt down their drinking water before consuming it. Extra trouble for those cought out in the cold.

Sure, you could eat the ice, but that would severely pull down your body's core temperature.

To the steam users, there are mods that add a refridgeration effect to coolers with the use of chilled ice packs, and one that adds functionality to water collectors in the winter. I think there is also one that allows you to use snow as a source of water as well.

Definitely features the main game could certainly use.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 11:17 PM, captainstank said:

You could just carve out out ice in chunks with any metal tool/weapon and put in a pot, melt and boil.

Sure, that's how it should work. What i meant earlier is when your water barrel is connected to a sink below, and the water in the barrel freezes - the sink below (or rather a tap) should not work, so you'll have to revert to other methods - like carving out out ice in chunks and melting it.