Prosser, WA

Charleston

Started working on a 1 to 1 scale of my homeish town in Washington. Not the entire city. 10x10 cells, every single house. Scaled one tile is one meter, it's going to take a sweet amount of time and starting this project has me realizing the amount of hard work and effort the devs have been putting into Louisville.

When finished this will probably already be outdated. I had to completely retrofit the town to make almost every single road vertical/horizontal and not diagonal. Had to move the river, etc.

Not going to make absolutely every house (will probably start by making 25-50 houses and eventually expanding as handmaking 3000 different buildings is not going to be an easy task, obviously some roads and houses had to be deleted in the retrofitting process but it's going to be almost completely to scale in terms of town size.

Will update this post or make a new one as I progress.

Veg map and zombie map exist, they're pretty basic. I used a radial gradient for the zombie map in the most dense areas and filled out the airport a bit but it'll definitely all change with time.

Give me any suggestions you all have in how to lay this out! Or if you want help me or are interested in the process just send me a pm.

(I have started working on a lot of the houses, one cell at a time though.)

ProsserMap.png

Named.png

prosser.PNG

Edited by Charleston

• Charleston changed the title to Prosser, WA
  • 2 months later...

Although you need to make roads & buildings align to the grid, you can get away with making organic shapes like the river shoreline more true to life. I also see several small creeks throughout the area which could be useful for sectioning off parts of the map. For instance you could make broken bridges over them. 

Also you don't necessarily need to have north/south in your map match real life. If you focus on just the downtown area you could rotate 45 degrees to make things align more nicely.

I suggest sectioning the map into smaller chunks inorder to have the highest chance of finishing.