How does "dirtiness" actually work?

Torenico

So for a couple versions now we are able to see how our character and his/her clothes would get dirty and bloody over time, as they are being used. This adds another thing to do while you're surviving the zombie apocalypse, folks like me who like to keep clothes clean and takes a bath every day or so. However, the mechanics behind this feature are, at least to me, very confusing.

I understand that you get bloody clothes when you kill zombies, as their blood splahes your exposed skin or your clothes. Got it. But what about normal dirtiness? Here's the weird part: I can go out, walk around the woods, chop some trees, build some barricades and my clothes would get dirty. I put on clean clothes and move around the house for a bit, doing stuff such as cooking or moving items from a container to another and.. I'm dirty again. Take those clothes off for new ones, then, I literally just walk from where I put those new clothes on to the kitchen to sit and eat and... I'm dirty again? What?

How does this system actually works? It kinda frustrates me to no end. I know, I know, I'm weird, yeah, but it makes no sense that I put some clean clothes, grab a book from the library, sit in a couch for a while and there I am, dirty again... like out of nowhere my character has a huge mud-like stain on his leg.. and no that's not what you think it is!

Is it currently bugged? I can change my clothes up to four times in a day and I haven't done much other than walking around the house...

As far as I can tell it's not been implemented fully yet. I've never noticed it actually appearing from gameplay (visually), and tbh I've never even noticed the dirtiness stat change how you described it (but I've probably never observed it properly).

I just did some testing in debug mode (take that as you will, it's probably not representative of normal gameplay), and from what I could tell, doing actions like digging furrows, doesn't make things dirty. Exercise will add to the stat a bit, but nothing visual, and I think walking through bushes is supposed to add visual dirt, but seemed very inconsistent to the point of not working. Again, could be cause it was debug mode.

I think the blood system is also incomplete, as you can get blood on your clothes from zeds, but if you're bleeding there is basically no visuals for it (except on the ground), and it won't soak through clothing layers.

4 hours ago, Torenico said:

So for a couple versions now we are able to see how our character and his/her clothes would get dirty and bloody over time, as they are being used. This adds another thing to do while you're surviving the zombie apocalypse, folks like me who like to keep clothes clean and takes a bath every day or so. However, the mechanics behind this feature are, at least to me, very confusing.

I understand that you get bloody clothes when you kill zombies, as their blood splahes your exposed skin or your clothes. Got it. But what about normal dirtiness? Here's the weird part: I can go out, walk around the woods, chop some trees, build some barricades and my clothes would get dirty. I put on clean clothes and move around the house for a bit, doing stuff such as cooking or moving items from a container to another and.. I'm dirty again. Take those clothes off for new ones, then, I literally just walk from where I put those new clothes on to the kitchen to sit and eat and... I'm dirty again? What?

How does this system actually works? It kinda frustrates me to no end. I know, I know, I'm weird, yeah, but it makes no sense that I put some clean clothes, grab a book from the library, sit in a couch for a while and there I am, dirty again... like out of nowhere my character has a huge mud-like stain on his leg.. and no that's not what you think it is!

Is it currently bugged? I can change my clothes up to four times in a day and I haven't done much other than walking around the house...

I think dirtiness works on a timer now, so the more time passed, the more dirty you are. I could be wrong, but that was my experience.

18 hours ago, Geras said:

I think dirtiness works on a timer now, so the more time passed, the more dirty you are. I could be wrong, but that was my experience.

Yeah, I agree with that, I'm pretty sure I've gotten dirty just sitting in the same place reading over a carpet inside the house lol

Archived