Cooking bug (41.52)

Temi

I started playing 41.52 today and I'm having a lot of problems cooking food.

When I'm adding food things to a cooking pot, it sometimes works, but mostly it will not add the item to the pot. It gives off an error message in the bottom right. I sometimes get 1-2 items in, but once it stops working, I cant add anything anymore. It will still cook just fine if I have managed to add something before it breaks.

I have had this problem across multiple saves and it affects both fruit salads, normal salads and when I put things into a roasting pan(I have not tried anything else). 

Capture.PNG

I have investigated this a bit further, and I think I have found the problem.

When you add an item to a recipe, say pineapple to a fruit salad, it doesn't use the whole pineapple, but only a certain amount of it(I think its using the hunger stat for this)

So a fresh pineapple reduces hunger by 25. If I add it to a fruit salad, it takes away 10, so the pineapple only have 15 hunger reduction left. This is fine, and you can add the pineapple again, so you have taken away 20 hunger reduction from it, and is now left with 5. Here is the problem, to add the pineapple to the fruit salad, you need a value of 10, but you only have 5 left, so the pineapple is no longer suitable for the recipe, and the game throws an error when you try to use it.

I have had problems with adding meats to burgers/roasting pan too, but when I tested this with spawning in meat patty's and mutton chops, both had 40(4x10) hunger value each, so I couldn't reproduce it. I do think the hunger value of an item changes a bit over time as part of the decay process, which I suspect could be why I had problems in my actual game, but not in the test save.

Until its fixed, I found its easier to add food to a recipe by right clicking the burger/roasting pan etc in your inventory as opposed using the crafting menu to make food, as there you will see how much food value is left in the item you try to add, so you can add the ones that still have enough food in them still avoiding the errors(and might actually get some food!).

Edited by Temi

I have tried following your outlined steps for making a Pineapple Fruit Salad / Roast via the Crafting menu and had not encountered any issues :( Are you using any mods?

Next time you see the red error, could you go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and share the "console.txt" file found there to a site like pastebin.com and then post a link to that here so we can take a look? 

I am not using any mods. Here is a pastebin of my console.txt, for this session I played with the debugger active so I could spawn items, but normally I don't.

https://pastebin.com/GiRA6aMG

I'm adding some pictures under to show exactly what I'm doing and what's happening:

This is the initial condition where I have spawned in 2 pineapples, an empty bowl and a kitchen knife(I think the knife isn't needed, but I always thought it was, so mostly just a habit ;o)

1.thumb.png.f234b0532159a012a92a4f442ecfd3e0.png

If I now add the top pineapple in the crafting menu twice, that works fine, the fruit salad gets pineapple added twice, and has a hunger value of -20, while the pineapple has gone from -25 to -5 hunger value. If I try to add that pineapple again, it throws the error.

If you right click the salad bowl at this point, to add the pineapple that way, it shows you a bit more information, as it will show both pineapples with their food value.

Trying to use the the pineapple with the food value of 10(the unused one) works just fine as you would expect, but the one with a food value of 5 will just throw an error, and not add the pineapple to the salad, nor consume the pineapple.

2.thumb.png.337132b35cba6dca90a37109a23c608c.png

I have deleted the mods folder, but it did not appear to change anything.

Also I cant recall ever installing any mods. The only thing in the mod folder was "sample mod" which I'm assuming is there by default.

• 4 months later...

Is anyone still having this issue?
Playing the latest build (41.65) and is having this issue, something that is very easily reproduced if I try cooking with foraged food such as mushrooms which have very low "durability" or hunger value.
Unsubscribed from mods, uninstalled game and deleted entire "C:\Users\YourUserName\" Zomboid folder

Fresh install, and problem still persists.

console.txt spits out simlar looking errors https://pastebin.com/0CprfYnN

On 12/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, kippemon said:

Is anyone still having this issue?
Playing the latest build (41.65) and is having this issue, something that is very easily reproduced if I try cooking with foraged food such as mushrooms which have very low "durability" or hunger value.
Unsubscribed from mods, uninstalled game and deleted entire "C:\Users\YourUserName\" Zomboid folder

Fresh install, and problem still persists.

console.txt spits out simlar looking errors https://pastebin.com/0CprfYnN

Yes I have the same issue, and I've deleted all folders, reinstalled the game, and had no mod on and yet this issue kept occuring.

Can't reproduce this / never had it happen on my end :( Could you walk me through what you do exactly, please? (obv, vanilla game, "mods" folder deleted, game files verified) 

Finally, how old is the save that is affected? Is it a new one or something carried over from before latest patch?

I have the same bug, or at least a variant of it. No mods.

When I try adding a full cabbage to a roast, it works fine.

When I try adding a partial cabbage to a roast, it doesn't work.

When I try adding a food item with less than 10 hunger points in it, it doesn't work.

On another note, I feel like I am the one player of our MP server who constantly generates backpacks / ovens that generate items. I think 95% of my pancake ovens have become permanent pancake generators, and 95% of my dropped backpacks have become sources of pop, pipe bombs, and newspapers.

Edited by TKo