Dog food depression and use as bait.

PoshRocketeer

Firstly I'd like to address that eating a can of dog food on a brand new save is enough to make your character "Severely depressed". Even from a gameplay standpoint this is pretty silly. I wouldn't be thrilled to eat dog food, but to induce acute terminal depression is perhaps a bit much.

Secondly, being able to use it as bait for animals would be cool. Thank you for coming to my ZED talk.

If someone has been starving to death i don't think eating dog food would be that big of an issue, on contrary perhaps it would be a welcome sight. Bear Grylls ate much "worse" stuff and he always seemed to maintain a positive/happy demeanor.

Granted, not everybody is like him and in Zomboid i guess player avatar resembles more an average citizen.

Maybe make a survivalist based trait to choose for a player (doesn't mind eating certain food or has less negative effect), i guess there is an attitude/mentality/personality component to it that not everybody possess or is able to get into, at least not easily.

And opposite effect trait as well, so you would have something similar to iron gut/weak stomach but affecting the character's happiness.

Edited by 3lackrose

1 hour ago, 3lackrose said:

If someone has been starving to death i don't think eating dog food would be that big of an issue, on contrary perhaps it would be a welcome sight. Bear Grylls ate much "worse" stuff and he always seemed to maintain a positive/happy demeanor.

Granted, not everybody is like him and in Zomboid i guess player avatar resembles more an average citizen.

Maybe make a survivalist based trait to choose for a player (doesn't mind eating certain food or has less negative effect), i guess there is an attitude/mentality/personality component to it that not everybody possess or is able to get into, at least not easily.

And opposite effect trait as well, so you would have something similar to iron gut/weak stomach but affecting the character's happiness.

Honestly I think over time the player should slowly become more open to eating more types of food. 

@3lackrosethis would make a lot more sense. Devs could easily add traits like Glutton and Picky Eater to the game. Glutton could negate any negative effects gained from eating Rotten/Spoiled/Disgusting foodstuffs, as well as increase the positive effects of eating food like Chocolate and Hearty Meals. Picky Eater could worsen the negative effects of Dog Food and the like, and maybe even lower the positive effects gained from fun foods. Alternatively, it could make negative effects worse as well as picking one or two random foods in the game that your character absolutely hates. Could create dynamic situations for each playthrough. Maybe your PC hates cheese and/or cupcakes. This wouldn't have an enormous effect beyond having to skip over a few loot options. But if they hated Cabbage and Potatoes, you're gonna be in for a waaay harder time in the late game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 3:11 AM, TrailerParkThor said:

@3lackrosethis would make a lot more sense. Devs could easily add traits like Glutton and Picky Eater to the game. Glutton could negate any negative effects gained from eating Rotten/Spoiled/Disgusting foodstuffs, as well as increase the positive effects of eating food like Chocolate and Hearty Meals. Picky Eater could worsen the negative effects of Dog Food and the like, and maybe even lower the positive effects gained from fun foods. Alternatively, it could make negative effects worse as well as picking one or two random foods in the game that your character absolutely hates. Could create dynamic situations for each playthrough. Maybe your PC hates cheese and/or cupcakes. This wouldn't have an enormous effect beyond having to skip over a few loot options. But if they hated Cabbage and Potatoes, you're gonna be in for a waaay harder time in the late game.

It should be the other way, glutton reduces both positive and negative effects on mood from food (dopamine release slowly tapering as your brain wants more food), picky eater would be happier with foods they like but naturally be much pickier about what they're willing to eat at all.