Please bring back weapon durbility indicators on the hotbar.

PoshRocketeer

I understand that the star was removed for being innacurate, someone said that supposedly you could check its durability by mousing over it on your hotbar, but you can't. Or at least I can't. Maybe a bug, but it seems like other people aren't seeing it either. I don't understand why it would be removed entirely, as it's not really an improvement on gameplay to remove any kind of durability indication from the hotbar, if anything I'd say it's more of a detriment. This is of course assuming that it really was removed without replacement,  and not just a bug.

Edited by PoshRocketeer

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.07.2021 at 13:28, Kappatao said:

Хотя звезда была довольно ужасной, было бы неплохо, если бы вы могли навести указатель мыши на элементы в ваших руках / на панели быстрого доступа, чтобы увидеть их всплывающую подсказку (и, следовательно, долговечность).

I strongly support it!

Tl;DR: really didn’t fit the feel we were going for with  the combat changes to build 41.

There seems to be some confusion about why the star is gone:

I pointed out that the star wasn’t useful anyone because it was too small on higher resolutions, it being an original sprite from 10 years ago. It was also quite imprecise because it was small and only had a few frames. It didn’t fit the game’s art anymore or really convey that it was for condition (in other games it would be quality or favourite status).

We all discussed options for how to improve it, make it clear that it was the condition of the weapon  … but then that conversation took a turn. We realized that this took away any pre-planning and lead to people who actually noticed the thing were just riding the star condition in their attempts to kill as many zombies as possible  instead weapon breaks happening more naturally and thrillingly while playing the game. So, it was instead removed.

So far, very few people have seemed to notice (far less than I expected). I think we’re more comfortable with letting modders add back their own version of the condition star, and will pass adding a new version to the game at this point. 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:04 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Tl;DR: really didn’t fit the feel we were going for with  the combat changes to build 41.

There seems to be some confusion about why the star is gone:

I pointed out that the star wasn’t useful anyone because it was too small on higher resolutions, it being an original sprite from 10 years ago. It was also quite imprecise because it was small and only had a few frames. It didn’t fit the game’s art anymore or really convey that it was for condition (in other games it would be quality or favourite status).

We all discussed options for how to improve it, make it clear that it was the condition of the weapon  … but then that conversation took a turn. We realized that this took away any pre-planning and lead to people who actually noticed the thing were just riding the star condition in their attempts to kill as many zombies as possible  instead weapon breaks happening more naturally and thrillingly while playing the game. So, it was instead removed.

So far, very few people have seemed to notice (far less than I expected). I think we’re more comfortable with letting modders add back their own version of the condition star, and will pass adding a new version to the game at this point. 

I can assure you this change will absolutely not affect how people treat weapons.  You're sacrificing basic QoL for effectively nothing, a good example of a similar game that enforces the idea behind the change while still maintaining the ability to see durability from the hotbar is Darkwood. You don't make people pre-plan by taking away their ability to effectively receive information, you make people pre-plan by making weapons scarce, valuable, and require frequent maintainence, which the weapons in PZ are none of these things. They're effectively disposable until you find something like an Axe, then you have pretty much impunity to go around bashing in heads, because by the time your axe is no longer easy to maintain, you've found another.  I agree with the idea that weapons should be valuable and require pre-planning and that weapon breaks should be significant... but this is not going to achieve anything resembling that. It's always just a click away, open your inventory and mouse over, it's not any more dangerous to do, just annoying to have open constantly.

Edited by PoshRocketeer

*Shrug* Not my call. Though I think you’re underestimating the power of minor inconvenience in shaping behaviour. I doubt most people will be constantly hovering over their weapons in the inventory while simultaneously trying to fight without frustrating themselves more than it’s worth. It’s not it is though, most people actually knew what that star meant anyway or even noticed its absence.

Making weapons rarer or removing the durability stat entirely are certainly worth considering, I guess. Weapons certainly shouldn’t be as plentiful as you make them out to be and if the durability bar is so tantalizing, well, maybe something needs to be done to make it less gamey, as well.

I think it would be a neat idea if weapon condition is a little more vague/ambiguous. Tie it to the maintenance skill; the higher it is, the more accurate the condition relayed to the player. Someone who has lower maintenance skill will receive a range of possible condition. If you don't know how to fix something at all, would you really be able to tell how many mor whacks until a blade snaps, or a shaft cracks.  If you've been fixing things for a while, you might better recognize how much 'life' is left in your weapon.

I'm sure this post belongs in the suggestions thread, bit the thought just crossed my mind, and well, I was here already.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that it is wrong to completely abandon static endurance. After all, no matter what I hold in my hands, I can see what condition this thing is in, whether there are cracks, dents on it, how intact it is. let it be approximately, but I understand how quickly it will break. Especially if I have already used dozens of similar things every day from morning to evening for the last month.
At the expense of making weapons more rare. A person is a creature that can even use a fork as a weapon, which is well implemented in the game. Therefore, I did not understand which weapon you are suggesting to make more rare? Rifles and shotguns, axes and baseball bats or forks?:)

***I use Yandex translator

Edited by vek