Once your base is established and full of supplies, what next?

GodWaffle

Okay, so I've been a PZ player for a while now (first played the game WAYYY back a few years ago) however I've never really 'stuck with' a single game, I usually get bored and sacrifice myself.

However, in this current game, I'm at Day 27 (my personal record so far, my previous being about 5 days) and I'm still going strong.. I'm wondering where I go from here? I have a pretty secure place (in the middle of the town in West Point, believe it or not), I've wiped most zombies from the area and only a few wanderers really come in.  I've got a good supply of non-perishables stored in my base (enough to last at least another month and a half) and rain collection barrels set up outside.  

I have a pretty decent stockpile of weapons (3 fire axes, 4 baseball bats, 2 crowbars, plenty of knifes, 2 pistols, a shotgun, golfclubs, etc) and I'm not short on ammunition either, plus I've opened the gun shop near my base so if I do run low on ammo (which I hardly use) then there's plenty there.

I also have amassed a large amount of medicine from the nearby pharmacy which I've also stored in my base.

The only thing I find that I'm in short supply of is nails, continually go out on supply runs to find damn nails.  I raided the warehouse in West Point (just south of town) and the majority of shops in town.. I know there are nails further north in the neighbourhoods (in the sheds), however I tried to make a supply run into that area and it's infested as hell, no way I can loot that right now.

I'm considering making the trip to Muldraugh to get some supplies, however I fear how long the walk will be.

So what are you guys thoughts? What does a player do once they have an established base? And do you recommend I make the trip to Muldraugh?

once you got a base, if you want to go for the long run i suggest making 4 safe house in a square perimeter, stocking them all, making rain barel at teach and leaving a crate and a rain barrel in betwen . so basically when thing get rough u can kept on the run and stay 1 place 1 week and move to the next safe house after, because if thing go bck to how they used to be,  you cant stay in 1 place forever.

once you got a base, if you want to go for the long run i suggest making 4 safe house in a square perimeter, stocking them all, making rain barel at teach and leaving a crate and a rain barrel in betwen . so basically when thing get rough u can kept on the run and stay 1 place 1 week and move to the next safe house after, because if thing go bck to how they used to be,  you cant stay in 1 place forever.

Possibly.. currently I'm making 'staggered' walls, I'm living in the second floor apartment of the Food Market shop in West Point, the back door leads out to a car park, I've sealed a portion of it off (where my rain barrels are.) I use this as my entryway.  Then out on the streets, I'm constructing more walls as a main barrier.  My plan is if a horde comes to the walls, I'd sneak around behind them and fire a few shotgun shells to lure them away, then sneak back around and back inside.  Basically if the first set of walls are breached then the second set are more secure.  Not sure I'd trust myself with 4 seperate bases though.

It's a really really long trek to Muldraugh. I think you'll probably have better luck trying some of the other bits of town. Good luck with that, though!

I looked at the map and it looks really far, the warehouses there are better stocked though which is my main reason for considering this.. Hmm, 'tis a tough decision.

backup your savegame and go for the run to muldraugh. It's imporant to know how you can get there, whats on the way and what you need for the run. and its a challenge. I ran from muldraugh to WP 3 times in a row, and always got sick and or zombified ^^ take your time for this run and never, I repeat, never forget the towels!

backup your savegame and go for the run to muldraugh. It's imporant to know how you can get there, whats on the way and what you need for the run. and its a challenge. I ran from muldraugh to WP 3 times in a row, and always got sick and or zombified ^^ take your time for this run and never, I repeat, never forget the towels!

Yeah I've been looking at the maps, looks like a really far distance without much on the way in terms of shelter.  I just hope it's not as infested as everywhere else, I think I'm in a 'safe zone' in terms of the number of zombies, I've witnessed multiple herds shambling past town in the distance (I use a rooftop as a lookout), but I've cleared the town of zombies apart from the random few that appear sometimes.. I tried making a run to the houses north of town and jesus, so many zombies, and all the alarms were going off haha, I'm lucky I managed to get back without them all following me.

Yeah I've been looking at the maps, looks like a really far distance without much on the way in terms of shelter.  I just hope it's not as infested as everywhere else, I think I'm in a 'safe zone' in terms of the number of zombies, I've witnessed multiple herds shambling past town in the distance (I use a rooftop as a lookout), but I've cleared the town of zombies apart from the random few that appear sometimes.. I tried making a run to the houses north of town and jesus, so many zombies, and all the alarms were going off haha, I'm lucky I managed to get back without them all following me.

There is enough on the way to take shelter in, first the burgerjoint then the trailer park then down the railroad to the next trailer park. if you make it a 3 day trip then you should be safe, because the first time running down that road, there'll be a lot or zomboids brah

There is enough on the way to take shelter in, first the burgerjoint then the trailer park then down the railroad to the next trailer park. if you make it a 3 day trip then you should be safe, because the first time running down that road, there'll be a lot or zomboids brah

What if I used noise to herd them all into one large clusterfuck and outrun it? In my opinion large clusterfuck = less threat than 50 zeds spaced out.

What if I used noise to herd them all into one large clusterfuck and outrun it? In my opinion large clusterfuck = less threat than 50 zeds spaced out.

give it a try, why not.

I was kinda bored, too... two containers worth of food, two worth of water, meds, building material, farming stuff (no trowel though, QQ), library, everything .... Could have survived for mooooonths but it was so boring.

So I took a pistol and 230 rounds and went to the offices near the police station ... killed around 180 Zs and earned 5 levels ;) and during the fight I thought to myself... no I don't want to die this way! I don't want to die.. go away zombies, go away I DONT WANT TO DIE AAAAH

got out through a window, the pistol going click click now, and just ran ... so yeah. Maybe it's boring in my little home but it's safe and I'll stay alive :)

Justin Reed (my first real character), made it to Day 8 and died of zombification :(  Opened a bathroom door and four runners jumped my like ugly on an ape.  I made it out with a scratch... but that is the scratch that did it.  I had a very secure fortress built with a set of wal, broken into quadrant and a postern gate off the 3rd floor for mad exits.  I had 16 rain barrels and probably 12 rows of crops in the ground (with enough room for 40 more at 2x2 spacing).  I had a secondary fortress at McCoy logging and two bolt holes for deep excursions

A bolt hole is basically a room with a window, a door, a bed and a dresser.  I take with me 2 sheets, 4 planks, a handful of nails and an empty bucket.  When I find my bolt hole, I secure it... canibalizes the doors in the area, fill the bucket with water from the tap and then lock it down.  I then run back to my base of operations and secure another set of gear and repeat the process.

All this work was for naught!  Dead is dead.

Started Salem Watts and ended up in a complete new location with a new vision.  Less is more.  I am going to set up a smaller base of operations (house, half a dozen rain barrels, 6 to 8 rows for crops, and a small outer wall).  I am then going to make more bolt holes, turn the most promising bolt holt hole into a second fort... rinse, later, repeat.

All that said, how do you back up your game?!

if ur bored try this: open a oven. have adead rats in ur inventory

barricade all the window in a house, bring a horde in, put rat in ove, barricade back door when u exit, run to front and baricade front door :).  let me know how it go im too lazy to try it but it should be funny

All that said, how do you back up your game?!

Look for a folder with the same name as your save in:

C:\Users\Gekkobear\Zomboid\Sandbox\

or

C:\Users\Gekkobear\Zomboid\Survival\

Copy that folder out, & back as you need. 

You can rename it, but do NOT use spaces in the folder name, and keep all the files in the folder.

@American Steel

That Bolthole idea sounds like an interesting one... I might have to steal it sometime :P

I take it sheetropes are now working? My current safehouse is a single story affair, so, I've not really needed to fiddle with them.

The other option I like is the Foxhole.  I find some restraunt with a counter and a back door.  Fortify the hell out of it and stock up on ammo.  If I am feeling froggy, I put in some shooting lanes (cheap wall than run 5 or 6 squares past the entrance doors and end them with widows.  I then put windows on my end too.  So they have to jump into the window run down the chute and jump through the other window.  If I amass enough in front of the counter, I take their order and punch their ticket with the shotgun.

If there gets to be just to darn many, I run out the back door... barricade it back.  Run around the front windows and barricade them too.  If my foxhole has an oven/microwave, then I toss in a few TV dinners and some clothes. 

This little burger joint here has served me well on more than one occassion...

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5251146278215975,0.18763965981135977,299.20000000000005

• 1 month later...

We need to invent some minigames/challenges for victory! Like kill 20 zombies with a spoon, or start from the Tavern and Sprint all the way to the Large Warehouse while spamming Q.

Also, once NPCs are added, they can do ALL the farming while you go out and whack stuff with a crowbar.

NPCs will also make it dangerous to leave your base without leaving some friends behind to protect your stuff.

Bags and plaster bags, gravel bags, sand bags all usuable items like nails and duct tape etc. Bring a sledgehammer and destroy all the crates in from to get the ones at the back, destroy walls to get into the storage sheds you can't get into. I think theres only about 20 houses in Muldraugh I haven't raided yet and maybe 10 more trailers and I have taken everything of any value from these places. Still need to find a Master Cooking book tho! So yeah I'm at 3 months and 9 days and still not bored

For me i have secured all of the highstreet in wp. Bodies litter the area so look forward to being able to remove them to some kind of mass grave site.

I knocked through a set of appartments above a store block facing the westpoint town hall building. And have one huge open area with one way in. Set up barricades top and bottom of stairs so plenty of warning for me.

Started building a bridge from first floor across to second apartment block as an exit point. Just waiting on the floor bug to be fixed

All zeds cleared north south east and west of the centre of westpoint. From the mega mart store all the way to the petrol station. Have enough food to last months and 300+ shotgun shells with a sawoff shotgun ready in my house for zeds getting up the stairs.

My carpentry is maxed out and my other skills are following nicely.

I have kill zones around my base and plan on roof observation points once stairs are fixed too.

My fav weapon is axe... I have killed 1000+ and never fired a shot to date.

I look forward to meta events and wandering hoards then will see if my defences hold out.